Hot Rod Forum banner

stock 63 chevyII rear end vs. s-10 rear end

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
If I replace my stock 63 Chevy II rear end with a stock s-10 truck rear end is that an upgrade? Is the s-10 stronger? faster?
Also, how can I tell an s-10 7.5 from a 8.5?

#3 ·
Use the FULL SIZE 55-64 3rd member to start with; the one that came in the early Nova's/Chevy II's was a lightweight unit; they were thinner castings, and had smaller bearings. Then, have Dutchman make up a set of axles. The real problem with these cars is the BRAKES! I did this with a 63 Chevy II, station wagon, street racer, and even kept the 4 bolt hubs to enhance the "sleeper" look. After selling the car, it met with an untimely end; the "friend" that bought the car, let the rear end go with the hulk hauler. I wanted to send him to the hulk hauler. 4.88:1 gears on a Positraction unit, cap supports, Dutchman Motorsports axles, and traction bars; I had a little money wrapped up in that rear end, not to mention the rest of the car. I kept my engine/trans when I sold it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.