Hot Rod Forum banner

stock BBC fuel pump question

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
so i got my 75 chev pickup all legal, and the thing is awesome on the street. im so glad i didnt go a sbc 400 route which is what i was considering. anyhow, the question is, do you HAVE to use the pumps ( this is a mechanical pump ) return line? or can it be just be blocked off like i have now? currently it goes line from tank to pump, line from pump to carb, and the other fitting underneath pump is blocked off. is this wrong? it does once in a awhile dip below 5 psi i notice, like once every 4- 5 mins.... i was thinking bad fuel pump, but then i thought maybe its me not hooking things up correctly. also it hold pressure for a long time after its been shut off....

#2 ·
Put a plugged short piece of fuel hose onto the return port.

The pressure dip could just be the float opening the needle to refill the fuel bowl, or just a 'glitch'. That the pressure holds says the valves of the pump and the carb needle and seat are working as they should.

#3 ·
cool thanks alot, i was thinking of just getting a electric one, but with the huge cost of everything else on this rig, i kinda need to start lookinf for ways to save $ ( wifes getting upset ) so as long as i didnt mess nothing up plugging that return line....

#6 ·
If it's been left unplugged, you need to clean it out first- mud daubers, dirt, grit, etc. will surely be in it.

Just drop the tank (if necessary- you might only need to lower it) and remove the line, then blow it clear. You might want to use some brake cleaner first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.