Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - stock HEI to Small body HEI now there's problems, need help Doc
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

stock HEI to Small body HEI now there's problems, need help Doc

I have read and read pervious post and already done a little trouble shooting but the bugs took over tonight.
I have a mild built 350 chevy in a 50 chevy truck. I had a stock HEI in it and it ran fine but had a firewall clearance problem so I changed to a small body HEI and ext. oil filled blaster 2 MSD coil. The problem is when the engine gets up to temp. it dies at idle, it will start right back up, run for 30-45 sec. then die again. Idle is set at about 750-800 (no tach). New wiring harness before changing dizzy and no ballast resistor in use. The dizzy was removed sent back to the manufacture, bench tested, placed in another vech. tested everything was fine. Got it back, dropped it in today, same problem. I had the coil checked before I sent the dizzy back and went today and bought a dig. volt meter and checked it again myself. 00.7 primary and 11.8 sec. I will check the charging system tomorrow for 14.2 to 14.6 volts as suggested by the manufacture of the dizzy. I will also get the engine up to temp. and check the coil while hot. A friend suggested I my have a vapor lock problem, I tend to rule that out because I never had one before. Sorry this is so long , But just looking for other thoughts, suggestions or perhapses a todo list from the Doc. Thanks for any input.