Stock Parts need to change. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stock Parts need to change.

I have a 400 sbc with some stock parts well i wont say stock but some parts that i think needs upgrading can you tell me if it will make a difference in the hp. I'm changing my distributor to msd. Im changing exhaust to hooker. I'm changing 650 elderbrok to holley. And im changing alternator to a higher amperage.Any feed backs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

MSD distributor is a good choice. What is your current exhaust system; do you have headers; what size pipes? 650 carb is way too small for a 400, get at least a 750; doesn't have to be a holley, edelbrocks are good carbs too. Higher amperage alternator is going to rob power, use the smallest alternator that will get the job done.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM

My current exhaust is the stock exhaust that comes with the Monte Carlo's and the size of the pipes i don't really know but what size pipes is best? How much amperage is best?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

For the exhaust, go with long tube headers, 2.5 inch dual pipes, and thrush turbo mufflers. You could also put in an h or x pipe which help add a little more hp. As for the alternator, i would need to know every electrical accessory that you have in you car, then i could tell you what to get; or you could just get an oe size.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:13 PM
TuckīnīRoller

Last photo:

Do you still have the stock q-jet? If so, i would rebuild it and go for this carb. If not, I would keep the edelbrock. In my opinion, 650cfm are sufficient for a stock or mild 400 SBC. I assume you have an edelbrock performer or thunder avs carb. swapping for a holley would be nonsense. better spend the money somewhere else!

I recently rebuilt my buddy's 400 sbc. he runs that engine in a chevy blazer. with long tube headers, an 650 edelbrock thunder avs and a pertronics hei distributor. I just added a weiand action plus intake, matched the intake and exhaust ports and gave the heads a decent port job. It is a huge difference! And don't just set the ignition to stock specs!!! carefully advance it a little and do some track tuning. same for the carb!

Good luck and have fun!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.