Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Stock SBC 350 Crate Motor valve chatter under load
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I wonder if the sludge was that bad that it held the oil back from flowing out of the heads { assuming you meant sludge on top of the heads } that it helped promote the PCV to suck up oil .. its only a thought. Do you know the past history in how often the engine oil was changed and what brand of oil was used and what I am driving at there is the fact the oil wasn't doing a very good job at keeping the sludge at bay or somewhere along the line the PCV valve plugged up, a thermostat not keeping the engine up to temperature etc. I realize the humidity factor of your area could be an issue in keeping an engine cleared out of moisture but can't be worse then the south eastern states or for that matter up here in the winter.

I just know with my own 1995 350ci, in sorting out my own engine miss issues I had the valve covers off and I was surprised to see how clean it was, just a slight discoloration film on the rocker arms and the head surfaces were spotless and only a thin layer of build up in the very front end of each valve cover. I have used 0W-30 synthetic all along from Imperial .. now Mobil and change it every 3000 miles and the engine has 186000 miles on it. Hard to say if it would have looked the same with another oil as I have nothing to compare with.

It may not hurt assuming the combustion chamber cleaning products work, to run some through on a regular basis and hopefully keep the carbon build up down. At least as time goes on you can pop the valve covers off and see how the top side of the heads look.