Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stock SBC pushrod length?

105K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Richiehd 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out how long the stock pushrod is because when I measured to check what length I need it looks a hair taller than stock. I measured my pushrod to be 7.200" (length checker is 6.800" and I had to turn it out 8 full turns, each turn is .050"). The stock pushrod is only a little shorter so it's not a complete turn or .050 shorter.

I attached a pic of the valve stem tip wear pattern, does it look ok? Thanks, Chuck

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I still struggle with my memory problem but there use to be a method of measuring to get the correct pushrod length, can't it vary with rocker arm ratio, cam specs etc. Do you know the engine is stock from Gm?
I know I didn't help any, just mainly thinking out loud.

Garrell

#5 ·
I built a 383 for my conversion van. It is a 96 Chevy Express 1500 with the Vortec engine. Summit said that stock pushrods for this engine are 7.195" long. I am using Edelbrock E-Tec aluminum heads and their site says thet I would require .100 longer pushrods with these heads (but they also say the pushrods are 7.800" long too). My engine uses a roller cam and lifters so I figure the pushrods are shorter due to this. I originally bought aluminum full roller rocker arms and with them I needed a much shorter pushrod-6.800" but once installed they were hitting the valve covers so I swapped to a set of steel rockers with a self aligning roller tip and now I am finding that I need a 7.200" pushrod. So I ordered them yesterday and I will hopefully have them by Monday. I just want to be done with this build! I have had soooo many issues while building (went through 2 blocks and 3 sets of heads), then I got the engine shoe horned into the Van and I then found I had more issues and went through (2 sets of lifters and 3 sets of rockers) So I would really love this to be done soon!

#6 ·
stock sbc

I had 1:8 to 1 full roller tip rockers and bee hive springs installed in my 6-0 LQ9 landspeed race truck two weeks ago, I also put 3/8" heavy wall pushrods in and they had to be a different length than original. The performance shop that did the work explained how to determine the correct length but I can't remember the method.

Garrell

#8 ·
I have been reading all sorts of pages on this. I found that the wear pattern should be no bigger than .060-.080 wide on the tip of the valve. I haven't measured mine yet , it looks centered but I keep hearing to have a narrow pattern. I want to triple check the mark just to be safe.

#9 ·
chucksrt said:
I have been reading all sorts of pages on this. I found that the wear pattern should be no bigger than .060-.080 wide on the tip of the valve. I haven't measured mine yet , it looks centered but I keep hearing to have a narrow pattern. I want to triple check the mark just to be safe.
Sorry, you didn't say it was a roller, I assummed, my bad.
Pattern looks good, shortest pattern, in the center of the valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.