Stock TPI system on mild 383 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
to the OP, you need to use the stock computer, not an aftermarket. the distributer has no advance curve, the dist. advance curve is controlled by the computer. as stated in a previous post of mine call PCMforless, they will also set up a performance advance curve while they match the computer to your engine.
Now ... wait, so I can't use an aftermarket ECU like Megasquirt? I guess that's cool I just thought that I was going to have to tune everything from scratch myself. Which in a crazy way was part of what I was looking forward to, getting to understand how to actually tune these things from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
The stock TPI as mentioned will not flow enough air to feed a 383. Rumor is it is only good for about 300hp max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
As for a the intake running out of breath this is true.
Yea, I got the "not enough air" part but will it be drivable?

Quote:
But with enough air flow a EFI systems will make as much power as a carb. Actually most people tend to use the speed density system (MAP sensor) which is more tunable and doesn't have a MAF as a restriction. Regardless you will need larger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a custom tune.
Which ever one is cheaper and more interchangeable, like can I start off with MAP and eventually when I get into more power I can look into MAP/MAF system or whatever?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

dude, listen to me. i have lots of experience with TPIs on vettes. i know what i'm talking about. nobody runs that megasquirt computer with TPIs, the stock computer works fine. i don't even know if the megasquirt is compatable with TPI because nobody runs one. like i said in previous posts, let PCMforless set up your computer, those guys know their stuff and will set you up with a tune for your engine better than you could ever do. you will have your hands full just sorting out the wiring and plumbing. you are not venturing into uncharted waters, there are plenty of vette guys running 383 strokers with TPI systems that are perfectly happy. it's not a race car system but it's a great system for the street. don't think about switching between
MAF/MAP, they are different systems and require different computers. if later you want more performance you can alway go with miniram, megaram, big mouth runners, etc. no offence to anybody but i think some of the other posters are blowing some smoke. go straight to the horses mouth and info from the guys who really know and have lots of hands on experience--http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=48
the TPI is a great system and a good choice for a street car. some of the C4 vette guys are running 11s in the quarter with modified TPI systems.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

you can get new runners and plenium for the TPI setup. Different injectors also help.

The stock computer can be tuned but the big disadvantage is you have to burn a chip every time its not like you can plug it into a laptop.

If you are consideringt he tpi why not look at some of the aftermarket systems. The stealth ram is apparently really good.. however you don't get as much low end tourque.

There are alos guys who drill out certain dual or single plane intakes and put injector bosses into them. They then build an airobox which you can mount the throttle body. You now have the flow characteristics of the intake plus the size of your box can help determine where your get your tourque in the rpm range.

There are many things you can do with these injection setups and remember as STOCK these systems do not flow very well..... with a few aftermarket parts and a die grinder you can do wonders with these things.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:

Sounds good techron, but what about tuneability down the road, am I always going to have to order a chip to be burned for whenever I want something changed?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewnashty
Sounds good techron, but what about tuneability down the road, am I always going to have to order a chip to be burned for whenever I want something changed?
unless you make MAJOR CHANGES no you won't. after the engine warms up the O2 sensor the sensor takes over control of the fuel mixture by telling the computer whether it's rich or lean and the computer changes the mixture. this is an oversimplification as the computer also adjusts according to other sensor readings. this is how it works for all driving except full throttle.

at full throttle the engine goes out of closed loop and the computer controls mixture according to a set of tables programmed into the computer. you can tweak the mixture at full throttle with an AFPR and a fuel pressure gauge. i got my AFPR from a company called TPIS on ebay for about $50, or check out www.tpis.com, the have a good reputation with us vette guys.

i don't remember for sure, but if you make MAJOR changes i think PCMforless will reprogram your computer either for free or at a deep discount.
also, don't buy one of those performance chips for your computer, i have never bought one but the overwhelming opinion of those that have is they are a waste of money-- get YOURS programed for YOUR engine.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:

I agree

Bryan at PCM lor less is well respected around the EFI world. I just bought my harness from www.fuelinjectionconnection.com and it comes with a chip. I'm not going with a real aggressive cam the Lunati 60101k wich is computer friendly and other than 3 inch dual exhaust all the back and not worried about tuning it much more. But to again agree with techron, tell bryan at PCM for less your exact setup and you will recieve the tune you need. and he'll work with you until its right. I have a MAF in my 88 IROC Vert and I'm building a MAP for my 54Chevy..TPI is an excellent platform if your not racing. It's very dependable, good gas mileage and gobs of low end torque ( awesome burnouts ). plus the impressive "cool" factor. Shop around for your setup then let us know what you have and we can help with some tips on what your next step is. I'm sorry I cant remember what is this beast going into??

Old 03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:

It's going in a '76 Blazer 2wd, TH350 tranny, stock 12 bolt rear end with i'm guessing around 3.08 gears, I'm looking into rebuilding this 700R4 out of my s10 and putting in 4.11s.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last photo:

700r4

You'll definetly like the 700r4 with 411's
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Last journal entry: A little progress and maybe new paint
Last photo:

Thought I would throw my thoughts in.

I built an 89 camaro 355 TPI with GM base,runners,throttle body and plennum. The heads were stock 350 castings (083's or 183's I can't remember) with 2.02 intake and 1.55 exhaust. We gasket matched the runners, then the runners to base and runners to plennum. With the LT4 hot cam kit and thru a T-5, the car made just under 275 rwhp / 330 rwtq. Add the estimated 18% loss thru that tranny and that setup was making 324/403 at the fly( I rounded down the decimal points). IT would pull up to 5200, and fall on its face. I have known people who built 383's, got the big mouth runners and base, did all the port matching above mentioned with a 58 mm TB, run over 500 on a TPI. Of course there are other mods needed such as great tune and larger injectors, but the system will support when built right. All of this was on a MAF system also.

I will say the stock injectors off a 350 will not support your 383 as they were not enough for my old setup. But you will need a re-tune with larger injectors, so save yourself some money and do it all at once. Great system though and it did look good under the hood. It got more looks than my 97 does now, and this car looks better!! The TPI just looks cool.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Last journal entry: A little progress and maybe new paint
Last photo:

I am sorry, I was running shorty headers as well.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
Bryan at PCM lor less is well respected around the EFI world. I just bought my harness from www.fuelinjectionconnection.com and it comes with a chip. I'm not going with a real aggressive cam the Lunati 60101k wich is computer friendly and other than 3 inch dual exhaust all the back and not worried about tuning it much more. But to again agree with techron, tell bryan at PCM for less your exact setup and you will recieve the tune you need. and he'll work with you until its right. I have a MAF in my 88 IROC Vert and I'm building a MAP for my 54Chevy..TPI is an excellent platform if your not racing. It's very dependable, good gas mileage and gobs of low end torque ( awesome burnouts ). plus the impressive "cool" factor. Shop around for your setup then let us know what you have and we can help with some tips on what your next step is. I'm sorry I cant remember what is this beast going into??

hey DV8, the wiring harness for a TPI swap is a great piece of info, i was thinking moded stock harness for a swap but that harness is a way better way to go.

does that harness have the ALDL plug and "check engine" light???

i use a snap-on MT 2500 plugged in to the ALDL plug for scans, it is a great tool. not only does it read codes but it has a feature that allows you to replace the computer data with data stored in the GM cartridge of the MT 2500, thus effectively running the car off the MT 2500 and not the computer. it also has a mode that allows you to read TPI data in real time, you just plug it into the ALDL, put it on the dash and drive around, it will tell you all the info you would ever want to know. another nice feature is it has 4 LEDs across the face that tell you in real time, rich/lean, open/closed loop, and i don't remember what the other 2 indicate at the moment but similar info.

the MT 2500 is a great tool, it's not just for TPI, it has cartridges for:
all GM vehicles
all ford vehicles
all chrysler vehicles
all import cars

the MT 2500 also reads (and shows you) all the sensor values in real time, TPS voltage, IAT, MAF, temp, O2, RPMs, and a BUNCH of other stuff.
it takes a while to learn and read all the features the MT 2500 has but it is a great tool for EFI and computer controlled engines.
the MT 2500 is an OBD 1 tool, you need a different scanner to read the OBD 2 cars.

anyway DV8, my question is "do the aftermarket wiring harneses come with the ALDL port and the check engine light?"
Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last photo:

Yes

Robert is a great guy lots of good info. The price of his kit includes the ECM and a prom. Not a factory prom though Hell the AUJP broadcast prom is over 300 dollars now just for the prom ( i did just get one from ebay in the box oem for 125) it includes the aldl and a check engine light also he can progrma out anything you like ( VATS , EGR, ) All plugs are brand new. I had mine made to a custom length so i could mount it under my bench seat. Now i wish i could afford the gas tank setup for EFI. (OUCH)
Old 03-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
nobody runs that megasquirt computer with TPIs, the stock computer works fine. i don't even know if the megasquirt is compatable with TPI because nobody runs one.
Thats completely false. I would rather run a completely tunable modern system than a 20 year old one any day.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thats completely false. I would rather run a completely tunable modern system than a 20 year old one any day.
well, maybe ya got me!! i've just never seen one run on a TPI vette and i've seen and worked on lots over the years--i guess you learn somthing new every day...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
Robert is a great guy lots of good info. The price of his kit includes the ECM and a prom. Not a factory prom though Hell the AUJP broadcast prom is over 300 dollars now just for the prom ( i did just get one from ebay in the box oem for 125) it includes the aldl and a check engine light also he can progrma out anything you like ( VATS , EGR, ) All plugs are brand new. I had mine made to a custom length so i could mount it under my bench seat. Now i wish i could afford the gas tank setup for EFI. (OUCH)

that sounds like a great deal, i checked out that sight you posted and did notice it came with the ECM, i just couldn't tell about the ALDL and check engine light. i did forget to mention to the OP that PCMfor less also can tune out unwanted stuff like the VATS, etc also.
see ya...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.