Stock vortec head more lift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stock vortec head more lift

I see the most popular way is to use behave springs But after searching they are spring and retainer seal packages that will alow greater lift.If the lift stays at or below .500 and its not going to see much over 5000 rpm .Will the behive have any advantages over a conventional stye springs

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david ahluwalia
I see the most popular way is to use behave springs But after searching they are spring and retainer seal packages that will alow greater lift.If the lift stays at or below .500 and its not going to see much over 5000 rpm .Will the behive have any advantages over a conventional stye springs
No..........
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david ahluwalia
If the engine won't see much over 5000 RPM, why are your going the route of .5 inch lift. This simply isn't compatible with the stated use.

This gets to sound like an over cammed engine which is miserable to live with in the lower RPM ranges where it sounds like it will spend most of its time.

Bogie
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

David,

You really seem confused by the nature of your posts concerning the vortecs. What do you want this engine to do? How are you going to drive the car? Bogie is right, you are heading towards overcamming this engine. You have read the Goodwrench Quest article, yes? Is there anything else you require power-wise than what this engine provides? Beehives are probably overkill but they don't require machining the heads. If you look at a site like Scoggin Dickey, they sell modified vortecs with new springs that can provide up to .550 lift. A much better deal than Patriot heads in my opinion. You HAVE to decide what this engine is for before you can go any further.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

this cam with 1.6:1 rockers would put you a hair over .500" lift and work just fine up to 5,000 RPM. And its not even roller stuff. there are others like it but this is just an example of why it may be desireable to run beehives on an engine that normally will not go over 5,000 RPM.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Re behives

Sorry guy somtimes I get in a hurry.I,m not going .500 lift on this engine.Goodwrench with Vortec heads.(used need to go to the machine shop)I thinkI.m going with the Comp 268 or the or 262 Extreme which ever will work better wish I could see some power curb charts to get a better feel for I want. I,m trying to get a feel for the best way to get the lift out of the heads according to what i,ve read the stock springs won,t safely do either one of these cams using a .050 manrgin I think? I asked about the the behives because it it mentioned as a drop in method.My buddy found other springs and retainer combo that will work for cheaper.I see that behives can add power but I think it would be at hi rpms and big lift.Now if I get a good running head combo I may put it on a slightly more high revving engine is why I mentioned .500.But also I guess I could change springs any time.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Check out Comp's Cam Quest6 free download program. You can Dyno their cams.> http://compcams.com/camquest/default.asp

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.