Hot Rod Forum banner

Stock Vortec Keepers?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  V8 Super Beetle 
#1 ·
I'm currently doing a 355 build using a comp XE262H and 981-16 valve springs (recommended for the cam). In trying to keep this build low buck, I ghetto ground the stock retainers instead of machining the guide seat and installing new seals. Well, I've had a change of mind, since I'm spending more money than I wanted to already, and will machine the seats with the appropriate tools at home and install new seals. Now, I want to replace the retainers I ground. I called Comp, they recommended 742-16, which are 7º retainers.

My question is, what degree keepers do the stock L31 vortec heads come with? 7º or 10º? Will the stock retainers work, if they are 7º or should I buy Comp keepers too?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If I was going to getto grind anything it sure would be a few thou off the top of the guides before a few thou off the spring retainers. Think about it!

Other ways to slice this problem are of course to use beehives or get some locks with the locking band lowered .050 this raises the retainer that amount, then then chase that with a .050 shim under the spring.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.