Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - stock vs. aftermarket intake
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 12:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

intake

It all depends on how much he wants for the steel intake. If you can get it for say $50, go for it, then put a 1 inch spacer between the carb and intake, the kind with 4 holes in it, not the open ones. You will find this to be very viable option to $180 or more for an aftermarket if you are in the low bucks area.

I also concur with the port matching if you are pulling your heads off.

Port matching could be a misnomer here. What I recommend is to just do a 45 degree bevel grind around the port opening in the head. What this does is alleviate the possibility of having any core shifting of the head or the intake so that the ports misalign. You dont want to take off a lot of meat. The idea is to in effect, have the runner of the intake manifold, act as though its aimed at a funnel. This will reduce any possibilities of the ports overlapping each other. I would not do any grinding on the intake itself, unless you can discern there may be a lip or casting flashing sticking into the port. If you do have to do any work on the intake side, only grind it out to where it would be the normal dimension that the runner should be. A little bit is good but a lot isnt always gooder.

You can wind up with these port misalgnments with aftermarket intakes as well.

the 45 degree bevel should only have to extend about a 1/4 inch into the port in the head.

Last edited by Max Keith; 11-03-2004 at 12:44 AM.