Hot Rod Forum banner

Stolen!!!!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  35WINDOW 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted in another Post today about my Engine build and the parts I had purchased for my Street Rod. I keep most all of my stuff at my house, but the Block (and associated Parts) I have been storing in a Self Storage facility up in Salt Lake. Welllll, my Wife just called, and someone broke in last night and took my 454 GenVI Block and parts last night (which had just been baked and pressure tested)-

So, no whinig here. I will buy a new Block (and parts). here's the question-I was under the impression that my Edelbrock oval port Heads would only flow enough for a 496 (which was what I was building.

Does anyone know if the Edelbrock's will support a 540? I want a roller cam engine (and work for a Company that has two GM Dealerships), and can buy either a new 454, 502, Dart or Mitchell-which is best? What about this "seasoning" issue?

#6 ·
We machine a lot of Dart blocks and we stopped usiing the World blocks as there was to many issues World would not go good for there blocks.

A Dart Bug-M Sportsman block line honed, decked, blue print bored, plate honed, lifter bores clearanced cleaned ready to ship for 2795.00 to your door.

All our work is done in a HASS 4-Axis CNC machining center if this works for you pm me.

Sorry for your loss as it soumds like an inside deal.

#7 ·
CNC and all,

Thanks for the replies! My wife just called and the Police were able to extract three Fingerprints and a Thumb Print (big deal!)-time to move on, what has happened has happened, lesson learned!

CNC, my concern revolves around the Edelbrock RPM oval port heads-they are somewhat smallish by big inch standards, and I just don't know what they will support. Also, I have purchased an Eagle forged 4.25" Crank (1 piece rear Main seal)-will the Dart Block be able to use it?

CNC, by the way, I believe you were right-they only took my Engine stuff and left a lot of other expensive stuff-I think they knew what they wanted-

#8 ·
35WINDOW said:
Well,

Unfortunately they have you sign a Waiver saying they are not responsible for the contents. My Wife is on the way up there now to talk to the Officer and file a report-I know we need to do it, but i don't have much faith I'll see it again-
your state may make the waiver a bull donk document, and still leave company responsible. at the ski Resort I work at, which is Hunter Mtn, and most all of the NY ski resorts, on the back of the lift tickit, it says you could die and they don't care and are not responsible. in ny, this is not the case, the ski resort is liable. as is a storage facility would be for stolen goods.

#9 ·
Matt,

Thank you for the input-I got a heck of a deal on the Engine (it was a complete Warranty take-out here at Work)-I think the burden of responsibility will fall on me as I have to prove it was there (although they left the original GM Shipping Pallett, and used what looks to be a cherry picker by the marks left in the snow)-

We will discuss this, but I think it would be tough to win, and I am not the type to fight losing battles-I choose to look at the positive in this-I might get a 540!

#12 ·
35WINDOW said:
Matt,

Thank you for the input-I got a heck of a deal on the Engine (it was a complete Warranty take-out here at Work)-I think the burden of responsibility will fall on me as I have to prove it was there (although they left the original GM Shipping Pallett, and used what looks to be a cherry picker by the marks left in the snow)-

We will discuss this, but I think it would be tough to win, and I am not the type to fight losing battles-I choose to look at the positive in this-I might get a 540!
Any chance this place has security cameras, maybe a recording?

If you have to punch a code in to get through a locked access - they should also have a record of who was on the premisis that day and time...

#13 ·
Rambo,

Thanks for the reply. No, it doesn't have locked gate access-this place is kind of set up differently, with two Storage Companies sharing one entrance. No Security Cameras either. When I rented it I made the mistake of taking the unit with the easiest access (what a dimbulb).

I have three Storage Units (one in another Facility that is locked with a Security Camera), and feel like an idiot for not putting it there, although I have had two at this Facility for two or three Years and no problems.

Talked to the Insurance Company yesterday-they will cover it, but we asked to check and see what a Claim would do to our rates-we'll make a decision based on that.

Back to the fun stuff-what can anybody tell me about using a Bowtie Block? Looks like they offer one that I can use my Crank and other already purchased parts on-I think I should buy Part#25534363-

GM PART # 25534363
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $2,292.86
OUR PRICE: $1,669.20

DESCRIPTION: Sportsman Block, Standard Deck, 4.494 Bore, 1 piece seal
This new series of Bow-Tie blocks are for street performance or sportsman racing and include the following features:
- 9.800 standard deck height
- One piece rear main seal design
- Fully CNC machined block with mechanical fuel pump provisions
- Cylinder bore size 4.494"
- Nodular iron bearing caps
- 16 degree splayed bearing caps
- Grade 8 bearing cap bolts
- Machined for production cam with roller lifters

#14 ·
302/Z28 said:
Chances are it is someone you know, or have made aware of your engine building plans. Go over in your head who all knew what you were doing, that could possible narrow your search.

Vince

Vince,

I have been thinking about this and I think you are 100% right. Unfortunately, I have kept this build under my hat (except to you guys), but my kids all know and some of them I'm afraid may have told the wrong person. The only other thing I can think of is when we put it in the Unit that someone saw us-it was wrapped in a plastic bag (from the Machine Shop), bolted to the Original GM Pallet. They missed a new Scat 454 Forged Crank in the Box, and a 9" Pumpkin (in a Milk Crate) right next to it-they unbolted it from the Pallet (which I had left on a 4 wheel dolly)-they either knew exactly what they wanted or became hurried.

#15 ·
Pete Dow said:
maybe this will allow you to build a larger garage at the house now.....a little leverage for the wife........ :D
Pete,

My Wife has been very supportive of this project (although she feels a little neglected now and then). We built our House new a few Years ago and I do have a reasonably nice Shop 25' X 25'(but not like some of the guys here-wow!).

We will be moving in a few Years to a bigger House, and she has promised me a big Shop-I will take advantage of that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.