stolen engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

stolen engine

Iíve got some bummer news guys. (Aside from this being my 1st post on here in over 2 years) the engine I had built for my 48 was stolen. 483hp 489tq 383stroker.
I've reported it to the authorities, aside from that is there anything else I can do? Some place I can report serial numbers? My insurance agent told me at least you got to dyno it and hear your baby run, but these things get parted out and end up all over the place.

Thanks guys and sorry to come back with sad news.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

watch craigs list, racing junk/ebay
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered

Put together a list of every shop related to the auto world within a 100 mile radius. Including personal builders and fabricators out of their garage that do side jobs. Whether it be an aftermarket bolt on shop to machine shops to body shops to pull yards. Map them all out visit every one of them personally. Call those that your not able to visit. Dont overlook anything. Check Iinto every group whether it be motorcycle up to tractors. Go to every show or cruise and talk with everyone. Go on late night cruises and look for groups and seperate club related meetings hotels restaurants retail parking lots and speak with everyone there. Dont single every one out but be suspicious of everyone. All the while search deep within the auto world online like gearhead said. Check every sale site and every forum involving the use for such a motor. Keep an eye out for builds within your area see a project with their garage door open stop by n start a yakjaw session. Also keep an eye out for new finished/driveable builds parked or being driven around. The entire motor or parted out could be used in anything....a lawn mover a motorcycle a sport compact a low build of any kind a mudder or a crawler anything.

Youll be super lucky to find it in a whole and it hasnt been started on yet. More then likely youll only get the block but on the other hand since the entire motor was taken check personal contacts that are either building a project or have one coming up. An entire motor takes time to do anything with. Be stern and intimidating but in a manner of coming off in a nice manner.

Its hard to swipe an entire motor, whoever took it has the means to do so. Personal relations that knew of the motor and with the means to pull it off is a good starting point. I apologize for this not being very orderly but I hope it helps ya a little bit.
Do not overlook anything or anyone. It takes alot of time money and energy so if your comfortable doing so ask every friend to help you search for it as well. Even though one or some of them may be involved they will show signs and the ones that arent may give up info on the ones that did.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
Craiglslist is a biggie for finding stuff like this. My boss had a motorcycle stolen and found it in just a week or so on Craiglist. Called the police and they set up a meeting with the guy and busted him!

Brian
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You had it dyno'd ? Maybe the dyno room techs might have told their buddies about "this killer small block we ran in the cell...."

Thins is.... For someone to come get it and come prepare to lift it and take it, you can be sorta certain it was not random.

Your buddies who told their friends, the guys at the parts n pieces store where you got the cam & heads and stuff

Tracking it down without sparking a war with a bunch of innocent folks will be hard, but its not likely that it was taken by someone from 3 time zones away in a random act
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Itsjusti thanks for all the info. Ill definetaly get the word out. I've been watching craigslist for a few days now and nothing. (actually ended up buying a few things) I never really thought of all the possible place it could end up. I was kind of hoping that I could just report the serial numbers and with this day in age a shop would just run the numbers before they started work. Kind of like when you buy new tires they always check your vin.
Man this has got me really down... It was my 1st motor. I've pretty much have come to the conclusion I'll never have it agian. :/ the nerve of some people! You work hard, save your money ,and build yourself something special then someone says "that's not fair I want one I think I'll just take yours"

At anyrate I really apperciate all your input
Thanks agian
Frankinstien
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Yeah Dave I had it dyno'd. She was a beast! Actually surprised the guy at the dyno. He was expecting low 4's. It's hard to tell who might have gotten it. It was on my engine stand with a hoist right next to it. Stand and motor are gone. The only person aside from a few family members that knew about it was my childhood best friend. Not worried about him. Actually I am affriad it could be someone in connection to the previous owners of my house. They forclosed and he operated a small repair shop out of his garage. And most all of my parts were bought from summit.

Last edited by 48Frankin; 05-03-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Registered

If you could remember any identifying #s or paint/marks and a general area of where it might be located ill keep an eye out for it on listings as well. Im drudging through lists for a 30-40s era front grille and framework. I havent decided exact model yet so its hard to find a specific one lol.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

insurance ?

The Jewel T ( record holder T altered ) was stolen about a year after Joe sold it. He had stamped his SS # on all the major parts. A year later he spotted the engine an a Willys at the Indy drag races, He called the FBI, since It wasn't stolen from him they werent interested,
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

Itsjusti I appreciate your help. I had TrickFlow 195 heads and TrickFlow fabricated valve covers. Edelbrock super victor intake, Mahle pistons Callies Compstar crank and rods (383). The unique part was I deburred and sanded the block (perfectly smooth) and sprayed it í04 Mustang gt blue.

I am going to try and load up pictures. and sorry for the low quality photos its all I have.

Frankinstien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	73742   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 2.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	73743  
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Unfortunately all SBC's look alike, and whoever stole it probably wont part it out, they'll probably change valve covers and intake; then repaint it and use it. Without opening the hood of every hotrod around with a SBC, I doubt you'll ever find it.
Had one SBC stolen many years ago, and never saw it again. But then my '55 gasser was also stolen in 1972, and never saw it again either. Just a shame that some of these dirtbags don't get caught in the act, and disappear!
Sun. morning someone tried to either steal the battery, or my '69 Suburban. Came out at 5:00 a.m. and hit the alarm disarm, and no beep. Looked at the truck and saw the hood open. Seems they carefully opened the hood and didn't set the alarm off, but when they pulled the positive battery cable it alarms as you remove power. I guess they got spooked and ran off at that point, because that's all they did. Neighbor saw someone running down the street at 3:30, so might have been the culprit.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Donít machine shops run the numbers before the do work on blocks, heads, crank etc.? Maybe somebody someday would take the internals to a shop and have to transferred to a new block or take the heads in to have work done.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Man ... that just plain sucks!
I can only try to imagine how "violated" you must feel.

The only thing I might offer in the way of advice is that the culprit will likely tear it down and try to identify exactly how big of a "score" he got. Back in the old days, he would have to pick up a phone and start making "How much is a _____?" calls.

With on-line outlets like Summit, however ...

All you can hope for, IMO, is for him to brag about this "score" to someone with a conscience that reports him.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I don't know of any machine shop that runs numbers before doing work. Some write the numbers down for warranty work, but no database of stolen numbers, or a way to look them up.
Best you could do is canvas all the shops with flyers that have pictures and numbers on them, but I really doubt it will get to a machine shop if it's fresh, and running. Why would someone steal a complete running engine, and then take it to a shop?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Itís just a thought. My mind has been racing with possibilities and hopes. I guess if it were me Iíd try and separate the externally viewed parts from internally i.e. the casting #ís on the block. So youíd have to bring the internals and heads in to get fitted to a new block.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.