Stop light and turn signal problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stop light and turn signal problem

Just bought a hot rod. 34 ply 4 dr sedan on a tube chassis. Mustang front end. SBC 350/350 to 10 bolt chevy rearend. All the lights worked when purchased.
Question. The taillights work on both sides. The left rear stop light works but not the right. The left turn signal works but the right. There is a brake light pressure switch in the rear brake line. There are two wires connected to it. Does this switch act as a circuit breaker and both lights should come on when activated or do each of these wires control the lights independently. I reversed the wires at the switch and the results are exactly the same which indicates to me that this is not the case. I KNOW.....why don't I just replace the switch and see.
If you could see where it is YOU would know why. I have about 10 puncture wounds on my right hand from reversing the wires.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The pressure switch is just a switch, one wire going to it should be hot. When the switch makes contact both rear brake lamps should go on. You can connect both wires from the switch together and that should make your brake lights come on. First off make sure all your bulbs are good. Do not assume since they are new that they are functioning properly. Visually inspect the filaments of all of them and make sure no filaments are crossed. Another area of problems is the turn signal switch.

Vince
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The pressure switch is working because the left light works. The [poweer is not flowing thru the right bulb. Could be a bad ground at the housing. Get a tester and see if the power is getting to the socket. If it is make sure it gets to the bulb and to ground. If no power to the socket then be sure it is getting out of the column. Most likly a bad ground ,loose wire , bad bulb. Try switching them

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.