Stop timing unplugged - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stop timing unplugged

Good morning, i have a 1990 Chevy 3500, extended cab, long bed,454,700r tranny. my problem is, when you start it, it some times smokes black, i think to much fuel, when you crack the TBI open about a quarter of the way, it loads up and sometimes pops. When you put it in to gear, it dose ok till you get about a quarter of the fuel, then it loads up, chugs, pops,but if you make it pass that part, it dose ok. I unplugged the stop idle, and it runs great, i can smoke the tires, you can hit the TBI as hard and as fast as you want, and it wont load up or smoke, but every time i put it in gear or come to a stop, i have to power brake it, to keep it from dying. Its a timing problem for sure, but not sure what kind.

Thank you...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Do you have alot of miles on this engine?Sort of sounds like a fuel metering problem.Fuel regulator maybe gone bad.But first Id check the timing,if its backfiring thru the TB then it has to much advance.Also could be a worn out timing chain & sprocket.Black smoke means way to rich.Check the fuel regulator to,you'll need a fuel pressure gauge & a book to tell you where to connect to.Another thing go some where an have your obd codes read even if you don't have a check engine light on.Some times that makes it even more confusing.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Stop Timing

Thank you Dogwater, it dose sound like timimg, but only when the stop timing is plugged in, when you unplug the stop timing, it has all the power you want,i can power brake 20 feet easy, no black smoke, no lugging, no power loss, its all good except, the low idle is too low and you have to power brake it slightly to keep it running,when you put it in gear or stop, and the check engine light stays on.

Thank You...........

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.