Stopped by Winfields today - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Stopped by Winfields today

I stopped by Gene Winfields shop today, dropped off some 16 ga. sheetmetal I had been saving and chatted for a bit. He's building a 32 Ford roadster for the salt flats (Bonneville, August 11), Dearborn bodied, Nascar Ford motor from Yates, 368 c.i., 740 hp. That's for 2 classes he wants to run in, then there will be a 427 c.i. for the third class he wants to run. Not bad for a guy that had his 80th birthday last saturday! I so want to go to Bonneville, it will be Aug 11-17. Argggg. (Call in sick for a week?) 230 mph is the record he will try to break. There had to be 10 50s style Mercs there, 3 in the shop, one painted for a guy in N.Y. fadeaway purple with gold and silver accents, Winfield style, one ready for paint, about 8 more to finish. Then there's the Mojave Green Caddy, going to Detroit, it's sold. Next year he will be builder of the year at the Detroit autorama. The guy is amazing. The Stiletto was there, at least I think that's what he called it, 2 seater with bubble tops, a early 50s Chevy p.u., chopped, lowered to the ground, full custom, a 57 Ford, custom and getting a facelift, and I forgot my ***** camera! Argggg! I may get a chance to go by again before the Bonneville meet, I will definitely bring a camera. Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:

That sounds like a great visit. It's got to be a treat to meet a living legend. Winfield practically perfected the Merc chop.

Dude, ya gotta ALWAYS roll with a camera!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dan,
You KNOW where the convenient stores are. Especially ones carrying Coronas. THEY have cameras!! LOL

Hows Gene doing?? Did he say he missed me? Or need more metal working lessons??? LOL
Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
Dan,
You KNOW where the convenient stores are. Especially ones carrying Coronas. THEY have cameras!! LOL

Hows Gene doing?? Did he say he missed me? Or need more metal working lessons??? LOL
Gene did ask me if I hear from you. He misses your money..lol. He still doesn't have water from his well yet, has it trucked in. The county has backed off though, maybe soon he can get a drillrig out there. I'm hoping my work sends me down south again, I'll stop by and take some pics. There was a guy from Ohio there to meet Gene while I was there, older feller about 60 or so, had some old magazines with Winfield in them, a true fan. Jimmy, the Mexican guy and the hippy are still there, along with 3 or 4 new guys, the shop is busy. There had to be close to 20 cars out front waiting for some massaging, mostly chops. Dan
Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: ( Chop Um-Up ) 1947 Plymouth Sedan Chop
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=dinger] Not bad for a guy that had his 80th birthday last saturday!

How cool is that! I only pray that I will be building cars at that age. Thanks for the post

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.