Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Storage Tank for Air Compressor?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Storage Tank for Air Compressor?

Before I get started with my question, I just want to state that I have done a lot of research before I asked this. First, I understand that when purchasing an air compressor its not about tank size but CFM. Second, I have been in the Automotive collision company for 10 years. I don't need an argument like every other post about CFM. Thats already understood.

I am now building my own shop. By far, I am not going cheap. I am spending over $300,000 dollars between the building and supplies, but am on a limited budget.

My Question:

I just bought a $5000 Curtis Climate controlled air compressor. It provides clean, dry controlled air, with a dryer on it. It is a duplex air compressor. Meaning, It has two motors. Each motor is a two stage 1.5 HP motor, each rated at 6.0CFM, both motors are mounted on a 80 Gallon Tank.

I have a four door garage bay and a two door paint booth. Its a 7000sqft custom built building. I think I'm going to have a problem with air storage. I needed a quality air compressor, that is good for high end paint jobs. Not one that just can supply lots of HOT air to all my equipment. Hot air is a killer for high end paint. Example: Some DuPont paints are as high as $600 a pint. I can not afford to repaint because changing air temp or cause there is water in the lines.

So, I have been told by many of shops and paint companies that this size of compressor will do the job. This is not a small compressor. Yet, I am thinking of buying an additional 250 Gallon Reservoir Tank. I also will not be painting inside the paint booth when any equipment is running. I actually will be painting by myself at night.

So, basically my question is, if I had another 250 gallon tank, will my standard equipment like sanders and grinders last longer? I realize that once the air has decreased enough in both tanks and the air compressor kicks on, that a total of 12CFM will not keep up. That I probably should let the tank fill up before using it again. Yet again, I needed a quality air compressor over High Volume.

What most people dont realize, that u never are using a sander or grinder or air gun for a long period of time. Like a spray gun, u might only spray for 5 to 10 minutes, then u have to wait between coats, which usually is about 1 hour. So, the air compressor would have plenty of time to refill the tank. If sanding, a lot of times, u only use an orbital sander for a few minutes, then u have to block it by hand. So again the tank should be filled up between task.

The shop will be up and running in about 1 month. So, I will really know what this compressor really can do. I'll let u guys know.

But what do you guys think about adding another tank???