Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Storage Tank for Air Compressor?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
I am just curious, why did you not get a two stage air compressor? My understanding is that they are much more efficient, as in a lot more air cfm for the same amount of electricity to run it.
Well, Actually this is a 3 phase compressor. It is considered more efficient than a two stage one phase compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQNRQY
I have found that your air compressor is the MOST important tool in the shop.
12CFM for 4 people way to low. ( air tools make you $$$ )
The compressor in your picture looks more like 12CFM per pump (x2) a total of 24CFM. (much better).
I like the fact that it runs slow (not at 1750rpms) They last forever.
That 2nd tank (250gl). is likely over kill and will only result in a lot of extra run time ( $$$ ).
I'd spend my money make sure you get as much CFM Matched with a tank sized to the/your air volume required to use at least 9CFM continuously, allowing the compressor to kick in and refill your tank and shut off while in use. If your compressor can do that it will have time to rest/cool down. Its the continuious running that wears , creates heat moisture etc.
Hope that helps
In regards to the fact that 4 people will be using this, you did not read my post. Most of the work, around 75 to 90% is done by hand. When you have between $20,000 to $40,000 paint jobs, you rarely use power tools. All work is blocked by hand. You rarely even use bondo. If a car has to have bondo, then you have not successfully pulled the dents out by hand. My work resembles a PDR job before paint.

But I do understand where you are coming from. And thanks for the post.

I do appreciate all the answers and advice that I have gotten. What I have decided to do, is to have the new compressor installed, and as soon and we complete our first job, I will purchase a two stage air compressor for tools if needed. Then we will just plumb the expensive curtis drier unit to the paint booth only.

Thanks again