Storing an engine out side? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 03:33 AM
Sucking Gas & Haulin' A$$

Wiki Edits: 0

Storing an engine out side?

I was wondering if it would be alright to store my 355 outside for the winter? My beretta droped a valve, and I now have to use the garage to get that back on the road. With the car, and other stuff in there. There will be no room to have my engine in there.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Last photo:

It can be stored outside if you take the proper precautions. I would first make sure all coolant is gone from the block to prevent cracking of the block due to freezing. I would then get a quart of Marvel Air Tool oil and squirt a good amount into each spark plug hole and rotate the engine by hand. If it has a carb on it make sure the carb is dry. Marvel Air Tool oil is better than regular Marvel Mystery oil in that it has rust inhibitors for use on air tools. Cover or wrap the engine in polyethelene sheeting.

Vince
Old 10-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
Cover or wrap the engine in polyethylene sheeting.

Vince
This part of the post is NOT a good idea. On a sunny day, condensation will occur under the plastic and oxidation (rust) will form very quickly. Been there, done that!

The rest of the post is very good advise.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

You mean storing an engine outside with no shelter? Not under the hood of a car? Bad Bad Bad idea. Engines sitting outside turn into junk don't do it. Find a place to stash the engine in your garage, stuff it in a corner, take it apart and put in your closet anything but outside.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:56 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I've got my hopped up 350 just sitting in my Vega body and it has been sitting outside for over two years.
I fogged it before I pulled it and taped all the ports/orifices up. I take a ratchet and turn it over every now and then and she turns easily. I turn it over mainly to reposition the cam and relieve some of the tension on the valve springs, no problem so far anyway.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

The most important thing is keeping in off of the ground. Lay a sheet of plastic on the ground, put a pallet on top of that, then your well lubed and taped engine on top of that, then cover it with something that breathes, like old carpet. Then you can put one of those blue poly tarps over that, but loosely. The poly tarps do breath, but you still want plenty of air to be able to get underneath it, so kinda prop it up and tie it down like a tent.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Fill the engine with oil, plug all the valve cover outlets and then invert it and shove it in an old dog house uncovered, as long as it doesn't get wet it will keep. Might want to pull the plugs and crank it over a few times to get all the oil out after.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

build an "engine house" (think oversize dog house) out of some plywood and 2x4s.

Lay plastic sheeting down, then put the engine on a pallet on top of the sheeting.

Then build a cheep "shed" around it how some people do with their central A/Cs for their houses.

It's more solid than plastic, doesn't get mildewy like carpet, and keeps the elements out better than both.

-matt
Old 10-30-2003, 04:00 AM

Last photo:

I've had a freshly bored 350 short block in my 2-sided carport for almost 5 years. It was assembled with white grease on the bearings, and 30w Havoline everywhere else. It has been on an engine stand with a big contractor-size trash bag tied around it, with a few layers of corrugated cardboard hanging over it to keep cat claws out. I turn it over by hand & re-oil the cylinders & machined surfaces every 6 months or so. No new rust anywhere, and it always turns easily, even in the Louisiana humidity. In S. Dakota, I don't think you'll have a problem as long as it doesn't get rained on. The doghouse sounds like an excellent idea. I know a guy whose grand-dad sinks them in a tank of diesel fuel & covers the tank with a piece of steel.

Last edited by jimfulco; 11-05-2003 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:50 PM

I store engines outside but cover them with rubber sheets and be sure to plug the intake and exhaust to prevent condensation to enter the motor. Turning it over every few months is a good idea too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.