stormer mufflers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 05:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

stormer mufflers

does anyone know the quality of Stormer mufflers. as in how they compare to other companies ie flowmaster. i can get 2 of these mufflers for $160 through a guy i know and i can get 2 flowmasters for about $300. the flowmasters would be a 3 chamber and its their 50 series and i would get an equivilent muffler from stormer.

Also there will be no cat converters on the car.
its a 1981 (Canadian) Camaro Z28 with a 350.

Which muffler should i choose?

Advertisement

Not Ford...definatly not Ford...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

$300 for two Flowmasters??? That is way high if we are talking U.S. currency. The 50 series are only $95 each (for stainless) and $90 for aluminized. I never heard of the other muffler you mentioned.

Is that price the installed price? If so then that's not to bad.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:55 AM

i paid 85 bucks for the series 40 flowmaster on my wifes car.sounds way high
Old 01-05-2004, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

this may be a different answer to your question but i live in ontario and have a 81 ta with cats im sure your camaro came stock with cats dont know if the area you are in dont need cats but here in ontario if the car was made with cats u have to continue using them for emissions
Old 01-05-2004, 09:22 AM
www.s10v8.com

I bought 2 new 40 series on ebay for 84.95 shipped
Old 01-16-2004, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by stoney 81ta
this may be a different answer to your question but i live in ontario and have a 81 ta with cats im sure your camaro came stock with cats dont know if the area you are in dont need cats but here in ontario if the car was made with cats u have to continue using them for emissions

i live in ontario and im not using cats, i think ill take the chance.

Not Ford...definatly not Ford...
Old 01-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I think the mufflers your referring to are a low cost performance muffler commonly available at most exhaust shops in Canada. If these are the same ones I'm thinking of they have partially perforated tubes visible from the inlet and outlet ends with the little tabs of metal facing the exhaust stream.

If this sounds like the muffler your referring to, then I have the exact same ones on my 94 SHO, I recently had them installed a few months back along with a long resonator from a late model Neon installed in the single pipe leading to the dual mufflers at the rear of the car. The guys at the shop managed to adapt the original factory stainless tips so it looks original.

So far I am satisfied with them as they are only slightly louder than the factory exhaust, mind you the cats were removed at the same time so it's hard to say what caused the increased noise.

From the type of sound coming out the back I am sure glad I had a resonator installed, they are a little raspy if you ask me. On a V8 they would sound nicer but I think they are too raspy for V6 or 4cyl use. At full throttle on the SHO it sounds like a Ferrari but at cruise speeds I'm not very impressed.

If you like loud raspy mufflers then you will like these, if you want a more low rumbling sound then spend the extra bucks for the 3 chamber Flowmasters, these "Stormer" mufflers are more like the 2 chamber Flowmasters...without the rumble.

I would not buy them for use just by themselves, with a resonator they are just OK. For the ultimate low rumble without the rasp get a set of three chambers Flowmasters (or Dynomax) with a resonator on each pipe, they sound nice in this configuration and are quiet enough not to "scare" the OPP.

I could not find a single reference to these mufflers on the internet either, they must be pretty new on the market...or they are made in Taiwan.

They seem well made though?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.