STP Oil Treatment (Contains ZDDP?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

STP Oil Treatment (Contains ZDDP?)

I bought two 15oz bottles of STP oil treatment to put in my truck. It says something on the bottle about containing zddp.

Does it contain enough zddp to protect a new cam? I am planning to change cams in my truck and I dont want to wipe it out.

After performing the camshaft break-in with the break in additives, can i change the oil and add a bottle or two of STP oil treatment? Will that be sufficient to protect my new cam? And does it need to be done every oil change?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

At my local Wal-Mart, STP has some oil additive in a blue bottle. Reading the back, you don't see "ZDDP", but it does say "zinc dialkyl dithio phosphates", which is the long form. If that's there, it's fine for use after cam/lifter break-in, but during break-in you need something better.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Info from another board- http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ge...treatment.html
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

This is for the op and really everyone since the myths and continual confusion about the zinc/phos. content in ALL oils is always questioned. In regards to the STP Oil Treatment...on "Bob's the oil Guy" forum one of the long time members says it has "1900 ppm zinc" ....which is a load IF it really has that content. Other members said they had sent questions to STP and got back an answer basically saying...that the level is proprietary but it has enough....well that's not good enough for me, if you can't tell me what's in it then I don't use it.

On a Cadillac forum one of the members asked the age old question...what kind of oil do you guys use? The reply's were the usual.... Valvoline VR-1...20w50, 10w30, Brad Penn...etc. Then one member said he uses Shell Rotella T 15w40 to which another member who obviously has never done any kind of research said ....not me since they took ALL of the zddp out of it.

I don't post much on any forum specially that one but I had to reply by using some figures I found by simply doing a little web searching...old Rotella T 15w40, zinc = 1276 ppm, phos = 1135 ppm ....new Rotella T 15w40, zinc = 1133 ppm, phos = 944 ppm. Really not that much difference and still plenty for everyday use....but not alone for a cam break in procedure and here's why.... a 4 oz. can of "ZDDP+" will make your new cam and lifters happy and gives you peace of mind. ZDDP+ zinc = 59,190 ppm .... phos = 53,980 ppm !! USE IT.

Since you already bought the STP you could probably use it after you change out the break in oil but I would just take it back....just me. You can do a forum search function for "cam breakin" and find a ton of info, READ IT and good luck on your new installation. Remember, everyone has their own thoughts on oil, oil additives, break in procedure etc.... and will argue the point till doomsday.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that info cobalt. It looks like it might be ok to use STP Oil Treatment to protect my new cam after break in.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

Sorry 327nut didnt see your post until just now.

I know its probably best to find a zddp additive, but i cant find any locally, and having to order it, wait on its arrival, and then change my oil, is a hassle.

It sure would be nice if the STP would have enough in it to make my cam happy.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

I wouldn't use that gooey sticky crap in anything. What,s worse? Changing your oil or changing a cam and lifters? Just use Valvoline VR-1 and be done with it.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
Sorry 327nut didnt see your post until just now.

I know its probably best to find a zddp additive, but i cant find any locally, and having to order it, wait on its arrival, and then change my oil, is a hassle.

It sure would be nice if the STP would have enough in it to make my cam happy.
Do be aware that some STP oil supplements are very thick and will raise the viscosity of the oil you add it to. Other STP supplements are not nearly so thick.

If you have to make do using the thick type STP (instead of motor oil that already contains enough additives, or a supplement like ZDDPlus, etc.), then I'd recommend using one step lower viscosity oil, i.e. 10w-30 instead of 10w-40, especially in winter/cold climates. Summer or hot climes will not be so badly effected when it comes time to start your cold engine.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

The STP blue bottle for 8 cylinders contains less zddp then the STP red bottle for 4 cylinders. It only takes one bottle of the red for an 8 cyl. engine and about 1 1/2 of the blue bottles for 5 qt systems and you have good protection.

GM dealers sell a very good zddp product for older vehicles. And use it in their oil changes on older vehicles.

Jester
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=62951&stc=1

If this certification tag is on any oil you buy with the teeth like a saw blade! That oil has no zinc in it! and is correct for cats. if the tag has no teeth and is just a round circle it has zinc!

Jester
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	62951  
Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

I use VR1 or Joe Gibbs n add GM engine oil supplement or Jegs oil supplement.
Have no trouble with flat cams,never have!
I use either STP mucous thick stuff or Lucas to assemble main n rod bearings on big diesels only.
Ive been wondering for a long time about what kind of cam metallurgy or treatment M.A.N. engines use,they use a flat mushroom lifter and recommend synthetic oil,have 0 cam problems,Im gonna call today n find out.
I know at one time Nitriding was supposed to solve these problems with lobes flattening out,I dont know if this process is still used!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 AM
boatbob2

Stp?????????

HI,i have PROBABLY built more engines than MOST guys on this site,mostly SBC and Small Fords (289,302,and 351) i have NEVER used ANYTHING on those engines EXCEPT STP.MOST times,those engines sit around for awhile before being installed,have NEVER had a problem with any of them,due to using STP...I SWEAR BY STP you can swear at STP all you want,but,im too old to change now,(i wouldnt anyhow). i do pre oil those engines before starting ...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
HI,i have PROBABLY built more engines than MOST guys on this site,mostly SBC and Small Fords (289,302,and 351) i have NEVER used ANYTHING on those engines EXCEPT STP.MOST times,those engines sit around for awhile before being installed,have NEVER had a problem with any of them,due to using STP...I SWEAR BY STP you can swear at STP all you want,but,im too old to change now,(i wouldnt anyhow). i do pre oil those engines before starting ...
I've never used the STP, but I'll keep it in mind. I do use Restore and MMO often though and people call it snake oil, but the snake oil works, and it shows in compression tests and fuel mileage (both in the lab and in my garage). For assembly lube I use Isky rev lube or lubriplate on everything but valve guides (just 60w oil there). thuroughly priming the oil system is VERY important though on both new engines and engines that have sat a while.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

You guys saying typical new oil has no ZDDP may have to look again.Check out the various oil brand websites and poking around you'll find what's in their oil.ZDDP is still there,but reduced to around 800 ppm depending on brand and grade.Not enough for a flat tappet hi performance cam of course......
Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Please read post #4

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.