Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   str8 axle to ifs on 63 f100 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/str8-axle-ifs-63-f100-220210.html)

tobym 06-04-2012 07:18 PM

str8 axle to ifs on 63 f100

Looking for best most cost effecient way to replace the straig ht axle front end with a modern ifs disc brake set up. Leaning against cutting off frame rails in botching in a new front half. Looking for any help from those who have already been here. Keep in mind I am a lowly paid welder . Thankx for any help I can get. This is my first project of this level so I'm a bit green.

S10xGN 06-05-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobym
Looking for best most cost effecient way to replace the straig ht axle front end with a modern ifs disc brake set up. Leaning against cutting off frame rails in botching in a new front half. Looking for any help from those who have already been here. Keep in mind I am a lowly paid welder . Thankx for any help I can get. This is my first project of this level so I'm a bit green.

Not sure if your model year is valid, but the late model Crown Vic front suspension crossmember and all outboard parts literally bolt into early 70's F-100's. You might look around on some of the Ford Truck boards or google it...

Russ

tobym 06-05-2012 04:49 PM

crown vic idea

I've heard of crown vics as donors but yeah not on 66 n earlier trucks. Thankx and I will try to research it some more.

timothale 06-10-2012 05:17 PM

Jag it

I pulled a couple Jag XJ6 front suspensions for $ 100, rears also were $100, Go full jag. You will want the jag brake pedal & M cyl and steering parts There are a lot of jag ed truckes in Aust, New Z , and the UK, also picts on the Hamb or classic truck sites A jag front will drop your front 3 or 4 inches, everything except the upper shock mounts is on the jag front crosmember , some years jags didn't have a brake line 4 yau just lines. Make sure the rotors are good, the rears are a pain to replace. Do a search her on HR , jaguar suspension, lots of posts, pro's and cons, etc. Ford Truck Enthusiasts site has lots of picts and how to into a 48 truck , similar to what you would have to do

murrsue 11-11-2013 09:59 AM

Check this out. Biggest disadvantage is the width is a little wider and you need to use offset wheels like from the donor Crown Vic or a newer Mustang. There are several diyers that have documented this swap on line.

Juang's CV swap build thread. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

aosborn 11-11-2013 10:56 AM

Look into a 1986 to 1988 Corvette front suspension. They can be had for a reasonable cost and work very well.

Regards,

Andy

46streetrod 11-11-2013 06:16 PM

Early 80s Jag is the only way to go.Google jag ft. end into 60s ford there is a good Article on this same subject here.

timothale 11-11-2013 06:28 PM

jag it

read here
Technical TECH...well sorta... JAG IFS into mid fifties F100 - THE H.A.M.B.