straight 6 in Model A - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 06:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

The 28/29 Model A's with the narrower cowl are happy with a SBF due to the front dist location, where the 30/31 will work fine with a SBC. We have a 28 with 289 and a 31 with 350. Both required firewall clearance however the 28 required a much deeper mod.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Welcome Bobspl

As one of the Moderators here..let me be the first to WELCOME you here........

There's a lot of good folks here.....

DEUCE

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

I-6 in a Model A

Well I guess thats too bad, as I said, we put a 289 in a 29A and didnt have to butcher anything.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

This is a Model A......with the front end crossmember moved forward 2 and 1/2 inches. It is NOT mine..never owned a Model A.......

Image this..with 2 and 1/2 inches less room and 2 more cylinders.

All of the above cars mentioned with 6 cylinders CAME with 6 cylinders..not 4 cylinders.........

Old 01-27-2005, 02:26 AM

Last photo:

I-6 in a Model A

It would appear to me that the suggestion of using a V-6 as a power plant in a Model A, by me, was completely over looked. Instead all I see is a bunch of you cant do this and you cant do that. And some very erronious info being put out.
As for putting the 289 in the 29 Model A without chopping up the firewall, I guess it was beyond anyones thoughts to ask how it was accomplished.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Re: I-6 in a Model A

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
And some very erronious info being put out.
As for putting the 289 in the 29 Model A without chopping up the firewall, I guess it was beyond anyones thoughts to ask how it was accomplished.

NO..not really........... V6 would be a good choice AND we did ask for pictures of the Model A with the 289.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.......

Deuce

OH.by the way.......erronious is misspelled........it is erroneous

Old 01-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Re: I-6 in a Model A

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
It would appear to me that the suggestion of using a V-6 as a power plant in a Model A, by me, was completely over looked. Instead all I see is a bunch of you cant do this and you cant do that. And some very erronious info being put out.
I gotta jump in on this.

My '28 Ford Closed Cab Pickup originally had a V-6 engine in it. It fit fine with no modifications to the firewall or radiator location. It just lacked the performance that I wanted.

I considered using a small block V-8 Ford to keep everything Ford. Even if I used a short water pump and replacement timing cover to reduce the overall length of the Ford V-8, I still would have had to use a recessed firewall and possibly move the radiator forward some to clear. By using a small block Chevy, I did have to use a 4" recessed firewall to clear the HEI, but did not have to move the radiator forward. This retained the stock appearance from the side.

My present project is a '30 Ford Coupe with a small block Chevy. The stock firewall has been replaced with a flat firewall that is set back about 1" from the body edge. I still had to build a recess in the distributor area that is 2" deep to clear an HEI. In addition, in order to use a short water pump and a stock (but smaller diameter) fan, I have had to move the radiator/grille shell forward an additional 1". Since this car will not be running a hood, this 1" movement forward has not drastically change the overall lines when viewed from the side.

As to putting an inline 6 or a late model Ford V-8 in a Model 'A'; the modifications required to do this are not worth the effort to me. Moving the front crossmember and or the radiator forward very much will destroy the overall look from the side. Recessing the firewall back enough for clearance for an inline 6 would drastically reduce any legroom in the cab area and the shifter would be uncomfortably too far back as well.

I have seen a few inline 6 engines in Model 'A's and other than being different they look like crap.

If the original poster is wanting to use the inline 6 because that is all he has, then I suggest that he save his money and go with a more reasonable engine choice.

If he just wants to be different, then go for it. Resale would be questionable at best though if he hopes to get any return on his investment.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

I-6 into a Model A

I agree with you Frisco, as far as the I-6, I wouldnt want to do that one either, however what we did to put the 289 into the Model A was we stretched the frame just in front of the firewall, I dont remember the exact amount but its seems like it was 6-7 inches. That was a lot of work but since it was a frame off construction and the frame was going to be boxed anyway, it was the logical thing to do.
Prior to the 289, the Model A coupe had a Pinto 2300 in it and even that pulled the car down the road at a respectable clip. Wasnt a barn burner but it was snappy enough to get attention, since the 2300 put out about 4 times the hp that the origional flathead 4 put out.
BTW, I questioned the idea of stretching the frame as I figured it would look wierd. As it turned out, it actually enhanced the appearance by making the car look lower than it actually was.
With good welding and some finishing off with a little JB weld or something like that, (been 25 yrs ago), to fill in along the weld seams after they were ground down. You couldnt tell where the frame section had been added.
We used a Duece shell on the 29, and it was a really sharp looking rod with the frame Z'd in the rear and a 4 inch dropped front axle.
I wouldnt do that again looking in hind site, but at the time it was a neat idea and it did work out good. very few people ever even noticed the car had been stretched. And those that did, figured it out due to the clean stock firewall.
As for pix of the Model A, I dont have any as it wasnt my car.
I mearly helped build it.
And as for spelling, nobodies perfect.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:46 PM

You might find some interesting info at www.inliners.org THERESA
Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

Took this pic at the Turkey Rod Run this year at Daytona. I couldn't believe it when I saw it -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey rod run '04 094.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	3832  
Old 02-14-2005, 05:56 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

Inline 6

In the seventies over here cheap V8s were not that thick on the ground so we used to use the locally made Holden six in A s . Lots of Mopar fans over here use the bigger 265 Hemi 6, they can make real comparative horsepower to the ol flathead six, speaking of which there is one in a well known 32 Dodge hiboy in the eastern states. I have also seen Jaguar sixes in all sorts but a lot of cutting and sometimes stretching was involved, these motors can look outstanding when detailed. If you want it - do it, just plan ahead.

Cheers from Oz

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.