straight 6 in Model A - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

straight 6 in Model A

has anyone ever tried it? have any pictures of any? any good/bad stories to tell?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have never seen it done..........and have looked at a lot of early Fords. Model A's came with a 4 cylinder engine. 2 more cylinders in line is just not practical. The Model A has a short wheelbase (103 and 1/2 inches) so not a lot of room to play with without cutting the firewall and shoving the engine back into the cowl area......

OR........stretching the wheelbase for the 6 cylinder.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 01-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

If you're going to do it, use the Mopar slant six. The primary reason for the slant was to move the water pump back and reduce overall length.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

In the voice of Starsky "Do it!". If no-one else has done it even more reason to do it. All you ever see is 350/350 combos. Be different and put a 6cyl in yours. Hope to see you at Sunday Night Cruise Nights with a straight 6

Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyShope
If you're going to do it, use the Mopar slant six. The primary reason for the slant was to move the water pump back and reduce overall length.
I thought that the design of the slant six was due to the low hood lines of the MOPARs in those years.....although, it may be shorter too.

Budget RVs
Old 01-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by poncho62
I thought that the design of the slant six was due to the low hood lines of the MOPARs in those years.....although, it may be shorter too.
I was at Highland Park at the time and the story I got out of the design guys was that the primary reason was to reduce length. It allowed, of course, much nicer intake manifolding, but, again, the first excuse was to reduce length.

While I'm here, I'll relate a little anecdote regarding the engine's development. There were those in upper management who got nervous when it was suggested that an inline six was to be "leaned over." Remember, these guys were beancounters and ambulance chasers and not engineers, so it didn't help to point out that a V8 had cylinders inclined at an even steeper angle or that other manufacturers had alread done the trick. When they wouldn't give the go-ahead, it was suggested that a test car be fitted with the Chrysler flathead six at the proposed list angle, but they wouldn't buy that. The new engine was to be an overhead valve design and even these guys realized that was somehow different. If tests were to be run, it had to be with an overhead valve six. But, Chrysler didn't manufacture such an engine. What to do? Well, they ended up taking a Ford six and mounting it in a Plymouth at the 30 degree angle. Finally, these geniuses making the big bucks agreed that the project was feasible.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I always been taught the mopar slant sixes really sucked I heard they had only about 120 hp. Is that true?

Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfire
I always been taught the mopar slant sixes really sucked I heard they had only about 120 hp. Is that true?

Mike

Maybe, but they lasted forever.............

Budget RVs
Old 01-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfire
Mike
Depends on which slant six. Remember, there were two strokes available: 3 1/4 and 4 1/4 inches. That's a whopping big difference! The late Pete McNichol held the NHRA speed and e.t. records for 4 different classes with cars powered by the 3 1/4 stroke version, which he buzzed to 10,000 rpm.

In stock form, with a single one bbl carb, the 3 1/4 would actually put out more peak power than the 4 1/4 engine. If, however, you put the large engine into an early Valiant and fit it with an aftermarket 4 bbl, it "comes alive" and provides a nice ride.

The advertised power of the early Valiant was definitely under rated, which was very unusual for Detroit at that time. The only other engine which comes to mind (with under rated power) was the first Chrysler hemi. In the case of the hemi, they were afraid of scaring off the typical Chrysler customer, who wasn't all that interested in power (or so they thought). In the case of the Valiant, they feared that the potential customer might be concerned about fuel mileage if the power was too high. After all, the Valiant was introduced as an economy car, not a hot rod.

There was an amusing exchange at the SAE conference when the Valiant was introduced. The power curve was projected onto a large screen and, when it came time for questions from those attending, someone pointed out that the curve had been truncated at the rated rpm, at which point the "curve" was still a straight line with appreciable slope. The presenter's response was something like, "Yes, that appears to be the case. Next question, please."

I don't know if they called it "Speed Week" back then, but, during the spring of '60, they held a race for compact cars on the road circuit at Daytona Beach. While there were one or two Volvos and such entered, the raison d'etre was the confrontation between the Valiants, Falcons, and Corvairs. The specially prepared Valiant engines were capable of over 200 horsepower (from 170 cubes), but had been detuned to a bit less. We weren't too concerned about the Corvairs, but we were a bit worried about the Falcons. They were a bit lighter, and, we feared, quite a bit cleaner aerodynamically. Well, the cameras only followed the pack of 5 or 6 cars leading the race and, since these were all Valiants, the only time a Falcon or Corvair was seen would be as they were quickly passed.

(Incidentally, the television coverage was so bad that NASCAR considered canceling all plans for future TV coverage of NASCAR races. What a mistake that would have been!)
Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 PM

Inline Engine

I run a inline Ford 300 in my Essex Coupe. The firewall was cut to make it fit but I liked the torque and it fit the vehicles Marque "Super Six". I run an Offenhauser aluminum intake and an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb that sets close to the firewall.
The only problem I've encountered was adjusting the valves and resetting the posi-locks on the back two cylinders. It's a stand on your head deal there. It could be taken care of by relieving the firewall in a taper up to the hood if it didn't interfere with the cowl vent. I wanted to keep my vent operational so I just do it the hard way. Glad it's not too often a maintenance chore.
Photo's are in my Gallery
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

I-6 in a coupe

That has been done several times over the years.
And you can drop in just about any of them. You might consider using a V-6 due to compactness, and the availability of stuff, as well as the V-6's are generally more efficient than I-6's.
My brother in law has a 34 chevy coupe (very clean with no engine or trans) and if I was a Chevy man, I would drop a 292 chevy six in it and have some fun.
If you are looking for a compact I-6, you might consider the 250 cube Ford. Its an extremely torquey little engine, and its externally the same size as were the 144, 170, and 200 cube Ford I-6's.
The only draw back being that it has an integral cast intake on the head, but offenhouser makes a 3 single throat adaptor set up for it that only requires a minimim of machining two holes into the intake manifold. There are a lot of other things out there for that engine.
Acton Miller, in the mid 60's set on of the 200's up with 6 single throat Amol Monobloc motorcycle carbs, and it ran like crazy. I did the same with a 250 in a 69 mustang, using 6 34 mm Mikunis, running a Holman-Moody regrind cam and clifford headers, with a few other goodies. It was a terror. Would pull 6500 rpm easily, even being an undersquare engine.

In australia, they are making a cross flow head for that particular model of I-6, and its a pretty good breather from what Ive seen.
You could check with Ozports or some of the outfits that bring aussie stuff here for that.
That would make for a very different setup.
Over the years, big Ford 6's, as well as Chevy and a myraid of others have been put in model T's, A's, and B's.

That small Ford 6 is only 36 inches long, about 7 inches longer than an SBF V-8.

The 3.8 and 4.2 Ford V-6's are about 24 or 25 inches long.

Last edited by Max Keith; 01-24-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Re: I-6 in a coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith

That small Ford 6 is only 36 inches long, about 7 inches longer than an SBF V-8.

And you can't put a SBF in a Model without some serious cutting....and 7 more inches..........

The REASON you see SBC's in them is that the SBC's FIT.........

Old 01-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Dare to be different

Take a look at the Pontiac OHC inline 6 from the 60's. With factory 4 barrel it would crank out over 200 hp. Some estimates were in the 250 hp range from a 230 or 250 cu. in.
They're fairly easy to come by and look unique. Check out this site for more info.
http://pub83.ezboard.com/bsohcsix

And this one for good pics. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 01-26-2005, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

I-6 in a Model A

Obviously you never put an SBF in a model A. My brother in law has a 29 and we dropped a 289 in with no problems at all. No cutting and no trashing the firewall for distributors.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Re: I-6 in a Model A

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
Obviously you never put an SBF in a model A. My brother in law has a 29 and we dropped a 289 in with no problems at all. No cutting and no trashing the firewall for distributors.

Show me
PICTURES....my man.........

Proof............a photo is worth a 1000 words.......

I know a SBF is longer than a SBC........and they need a little help.

I had to cut the firewall back 1 inch to get a SBC to fit RIGHT in a 32.....and they are longer than a Model A.......

This is in my 32........SBC with a short water pump.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.