straight axle falcon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2002, 12:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post straight axle falcon

hello im new to this board.was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what axle i could use in building a straight axle 63 falcon.any help would be much appreciated.thanks and keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2002, 05:06 PM

my first thought ,is don't do it !!.i worked at a ford dealer in the 60's ,and help prep/drag race ,a 271 hp falcon..after a couple of years ,decided to try f/x ,altered wheel base ,put a 37 or so ford beam axle , buggy spring ,split 'bones etc .along with a cammer 427 ..it was a handfull..never really handled good ..tough to get to steer right ..lots of work ,and you need to know a good fabricator/welder for sure ..good luck .. jim p
Old 03-26-2002, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I agree, looks great-handles like sh_t and is a pain to fabricate. I would think twice before I would attempt to degrade your front suspension to horse cart levels. Perhaps an old truck would have a proper width axle that you could swap, I honestly would'nt have a clue what year etc.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:22 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

They used early Econoline suspensions on them.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:00 AM

thanks for the help but i gotta go the straight route.been a dream for many years.and will probably take many more to realize it.thanks again.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:33 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

The reason they used the Econoline axle/suspension on those old F/X cars was to be able to eliminate the spring towers to fit lager engine applications. They didn't have Mustang II steering and suspension to do it back then.

Understanding that it will not handle as well as the stock suspension, I think it would really look nice on the street. Haven't seen something like that for years.

Remember, you need to find an early Econoline with the straight axle and also get all the steering/suspension components also.

It would be interesting to fit disc brakes to the front spindles.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:42 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Hey, 4 Jaw, that horse cart stab really hurts us ole time straight axle Hot Rod fanatics.

Seriously, the straight axle should work just fine as long as it is set up correctly.

I am betting that the old straight axle gasser / 60's funny car look is the next nostalgia craze.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No offense meant Lake, it's just some people really like a look but are not prepared for the consequences. I just wanted to make sure he knew what he was getting into. Damn if I don't love the look too!!! But I'm not prepared to live with it on a day to day basis. Perhaps my flesh is weak Really I don't think it would be too bad as long as you didn't try to slalom or chase any Corvettes into the hills! It's kind of the same thing as fatty and skinny's, not too practical for day to day driving but damn if it doesn't look great!
Old 03-31-2002, 04:00 PM

The disk brake change over is no big deal. Put a econline axel in a t-bucket a spacer for for out side bearing and a direferent sael on the inside is all thats needed. You use mid 70 camaro rotors and calipers. Must make your own brackets for the calipers. Sorry I have lost all my numbers on this for the seals and bracket pattern. But rember they came from a book HOW To BUILD A T-BUCKET FOR UNDER $3000.00 may some one else rembers this also. It worked great on the T with pleanty of stopping power with no problem. ...... Follow you Dream.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:15 PM

Old gasser-A/FX look. yeah
been there. Two things at lower speeds made em icky, bad spring rates (and too-close snubbers) and poor shocks.
bouncie bounce. Just make it handle and have fun.
At speed, buy flight insurance.
Can I have yer stuff ?

Tommy (had AWB 55 in 1967 with 40 axle... way high)
Old 05-06-2002, 05:25 PM

Talking

I have some pictures of this if you need them. The only one I saw that looked good was a chromed axle but I sure wouldn't do any cornering with it. The pictures are from a 460 engine conversion falcon for sale now. Maybe that would be a less expensive proposition since some of the work is already done. Drop me a line at craighearn31@msn.com and i will send them to you.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:54 PM

I had a 63 Falcon when I was 18, (way back in 1968) with an econoline front end. I did not do the swap, a friends brother did. the shock towers were cut out, and I dropped in a 283 Chevy. It handled alright, but did steer a little hard. I don't recall the year of the econoline,sorry, I hope this helps. Al (Boss Willys)
Old 01-04-2003, 02:49 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

I know that this post is a year old but, I am basically building the same style (60's Gasser) car using a 1962 AMC Rambler! After looking at many different axle combinations, disc brake conversions,springs,and steering linkages from 50's and 60's cars, econolines,Dodge vans. I have decided to go with a new axle (semi-elliptical), such as the ones Speedway Motors carry. They have adjustable spring perches, come in straight, 4", 6" drop. And you have the option of early Ford or Chevy spindles.Disc Brakes Too! All With new parts! The draw back, you will probably spend near $1,000 to complete this changeover, compared to a couple of hundred for an econoline axle.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:26 PM

There is a spiffy '63 straight axel nova
on page 43 of the December '02 issue
of Hot Rod. Also, here is a fun gasser website:
<a href="http://www.gassermadness.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.gassermadness.com/index.html</a>

The one scary thing about tube axels
I was told when I had a V8/60 for my suicide
front end was that " they work until the don't ", if you what I mean.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.