Hot Rod Forum banner

Straight axle vs IFS

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
Have 34 ford coupe. Updating front axle from old I-beam. Should I stay with latest four bar dropped axle-"old school" Or should I give serious consideration to new IFS. Any recomendation as to manufact.? I have found several street rod shops advertising complete set-ups for about $1600.00. Should I stay with Heidt's or TCI and spend the extra $$

#3 ·
WELCOME to Hotrodders.com :welcome: :welcome:

As a Moderator and a fellow old Ford owner ... I want to WELCOME you here.
The IFS versus the dropped front axle is sort of like the redhead versus blond situation ... it is a matter of your own taste and preferences. I prefer the dropped straight axle ...

I have owned both ... and I do not believe the IFS has much, if any advantages in real world street driving. Plus they are U G L Y in my opinion. Not quite as bad on a 33 - 34 Ford as a 32 ... ( 32 fenders are open on the sides where the 33 - 34 have skirts )

The above photos are of my 32 Ford original frame rails updated and redone to go under my 32 Ford coupe. If your rails are not hurt bad ... you can use them ... with a little work ... :thumbup:

#4 ·
I completely agree with Deuce, although it was difficult to look at his pictures with all that chrome shining in my eyes. :D

Keep the "I" beam suspension and upgrade the brakes and you'll be fine.

#5 ·
34 project

I like the blonde and redhead analogy. The lack of fender exposure is one of the reasons I would consider the IFS and have it powder coated. Chrome is great,looks fabulous but if you can't see it ..why do it? Again blonde vs redhead I guess. I like the rack and pinion set-up on the 32 ,probably steer like my old Porsche.
I appreciate the feedback and it looks like the jury is leaning toward the straight axle. Thanks to all.

#7 ·
boatbob2 said:
Hi Deuce,do you have the 32 on the road yet? i would like to know how you like that rack and pinion.

Boatbob2
Unfortunately not ... :rolleyes:
But I have driven other 32's with this setup and that is why I went this way. The rack is a Uni-Steer unit by Maval ... about $400 ... shiny and like in the photos ... the bracket bolts to a Vega mounting pattern .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.