Straight Line Air Sander - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 05:35 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Straight Line Air Sander

seeking information about this tool, pros and cons, any insight is welcomed. I am working on a 32 truck so the surfaces are mostly flat . The Straight Line Air Sander or Random Orbit Sander which would be the most useful for doors, top, bed, no fenders. This may sound incredible but the cost is unimportant, I am looking for a model that will do a good job of moving and smoothing body filler (3m zebra) I am aware of the Hutchins models but believe that is a bit more for a pro, I am a home car builder. tanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 05:52 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish
Wiki Edits: 0

I like my 8 inch da for knocking it down then i always use a hand long board.. i have quite a few sizes rigid and flexible ones.. i have a straight line sander but i havent used it in atleast 4 years.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Take this for what its worth, but I do collision repair for a living and DO NOT own a straight line sander.
My 8" snap on da or mud hog smoothes filler out faster and flatter then any straightline Ive ever seen or used.
My snap on unit is a tad spendy at 280 but Ingersoll Rand makes a super nice 8" da at around 120 bucks I believe.

I currently work with 5 other body techs and none of them use a straight line. My last shop 1 guy out of 7 used a straight line. Dont like it JMO...Eric
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

I use them both a lot. I get the body filler pretty straight with my snap on 8" orbital, and once it get to final finishing it, use my viking air file. Also nice to have the airfile if you are blocking a lot of primer out. Saves a lot of sanding by hand on a board, but use the hand boards a lot too. Would you absoulutley need an airfile, no, but it comes in handy and saves time. Then on the other hand the 8" orbital is great for stripping paint of a car. Never can have too many tools, I'd save up for them both.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish

Hmm.. how does blocking a car with an air file come out? im scared to do it with anything but a long board by hand..
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Fine, I usually sand in a cross pattern. I still use a block too. I get majority of it with a board file. A block you need for getting bodylines and stuff straight, and some parts are easier done with a block. I usually get my bodyfiller straight with 36 grit and go over it with 80 on a board file. Prime, board file with 180, reprime and hand block with 400 wet. Thats what is usually the case anyways.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

For rough sanding filler the 8 inch DA gets my vote. Most oll of my work is done by hand with blocks and boards though. Had a Viking air file years ago- wasn't imressed and traded it in. Nothing beats hand blocking for straightness IMO. Air tools are for fast material removal, rough in work, and final sanding on production type work.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I don't think it got mentioned above, but I find my DA essential for feathering edges. It does a better job than hand sanding in my book. I also like my straight line when I hit a nice big flat patch that I need to get straight - but I can't feather with it. So if price in not a problem...buy 'em all.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
I have to go with the anti long board folks. I have not owned one in the 25 years I have done this work for a living. I had one just before I started when I was 17, loaned it out and never missed it. We all have different ways of getting things done.

I find that the 8" ND900 is THE most valuable tool for cutting filler. I have two, one as back up. If these tools went up to a thousand bucks today and I needed one, I would buy it, they are that valuable to me.

I have gotten pretty proficient using it and will do body lines and just about every size work. I rough out the work with it, then about 90% of the time will still "rub" a block over it just to knock any pokeys flat. I then skim coat it and switch to my 6" Dynabrade orbital finish sander (not a "DA" but an orbital) and will get it as flat as some of the guys I work with using a block!

I will go over that with a block 90% of the time to as flat as I can get it.

I say "I" but I have seen many guys do something similar. There are a couple of guys in the shop that do it exactly the same. One hardly ever touches anything with a block, 6" orbital only. I have to say, after the priming and painting his work looks the same as mine.

I do own an orbital long board that on particulary large panels I may pull out of the box. I use it VERY rarely, maybe twice a year.

Brian
Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Straight Line Air Sander

GOOD info!!!!!!!! just what I was looking for, thank you ALL very much . . Loads of nice folks here that are full of wonderful knowledge , again thank you and good luck to all

greg (pepi)
Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Yeah get the 8" orbital and a couple different hand boards and blocks, They aren't too expensive. Then later on you can consider an air file. If you have a large area of filler, the 8" will knock it down nicely and save a lot of muscle, I also use it to strip peeling paint or sand down to metal, it works nice for that too. I find it has more power then an airfile. The air file takes much longer to sand down plastic filler. An a da, you just can't live without.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.