straigth axle cars with rack and pinion steering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Last journal entry: assembled
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

straigth axle cars with rack and pinion steering

Has anyone installed a rack and pinion steering system on a straight axle car? I have a 29 Chevy that has a leaf spring front end with a straight axle , I plan on keeping all original suspension and only replace the steering box with a new rack. Before I go too far I thought I would see if anyone has any advise on this.

I did call a very popular speed shop and the sales rep. stated it was not safe to use a rack under a straight axle car? I did not understand why it would be any less safe than an steering box and I would like to get your opinions on this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

There is a cross-steer R&P made by Unisteer. They show units for early Fords, don't know why it wouldn't work for early Chevys. Call 'em up and chat....
http://www.unisteer.com/search_by_pr...1928-1932.html
I was reading that the only way to do a conventional R&P with a straight axle is to mount the R&P to the axle. I'm thinkin' that would probably be butt-ugly, but hey, whatever.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Tech's right. if you mount the rack to the frame, it'll bump steer.. has to be on the axle to work..

The Unisteer setup, basicly replaces the Vega box and drag link with a single sided rack.. if you could accomodate that in your frame, then it would work.. I would think the cross steer setup would be most adaptable
Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Rack & pinion steering is for independent front suspension, using it on a solid axle car will cause MASSIVE amounts of bumpsteer

your only bet is to use the Unisteer (or similar) and maintain the factory design of the steering links (IE: spindles tied together w/ a drag link w/ a tie rod connecting the rack to one of the wheels)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

Hold on people!!.. You guys are thinking rack mounted to frame..

I ran a rack on an anglia front axle back in the day. Steering was fine..

I believe it was an Opel rack. Mounted directly to the axle. I had to use a splined coupler as there was a very small for and aft movement in the shaft as the suspension went thru its 3 1/2" travel. NO bump steer and handled about as well as a short car with a big block hanging over the front axle could be expected to.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
There is a cross-steer R&P made by Unisteer. They show units for early Fords, don't know why it wouldn't work for early Chevys. Call 'em up and chat....
http://www.unisteer.com/search_by_pr...1928-1932.html
I was reading that the only way to do a conventional R&P with a straight axle is to mount the R&P to the axle. I'm thinkin' that would probably be butt-ugly, but hey, whatever.
Here's center steer rack mounted on axle
Butt Ugly??????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32 roadster front end.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	54639  
Old 04-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

As stated by a few, bump steer can not be an issue when the rack is mounted on the axle. How to mount it on the axle is the first issue. How to align the caster and camber in this day becomes a real issue. Toe is easy once you locate the position the rack in its centered position. The location and the quality of shocks you install will become key to handling.

Trees
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Here's center steer rack mounted on axle
Butt Ugly??????
That particular installation is aesthetically pleasing. Maybe I was a little hasty in my assessment.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 PM

I've seen a few of the unisteer racks installed instead of a vega box, everyone seems happy with them. For rack and pinion on a solid axle, that's the way I'd go. As far as mounting a normal rack on the axle, it's not without problems. First, when the rack is mounted to the axle, the rack is closer to the axle center line than it would be on an ifs application. Assuming the rack is rear mounted, your tie rods angle back to the spindles, instead of straight out, causing some odd ackerman angles. Granted, it's more of a problem at large steering angles, but it's still a problem. Second, the u joints from the column to the rack aren't really designed for that application. Typically, steering u joints make small turns from a supported column to a supported box or rack. The shafts only rotate, they don't move with suspension movement and they don't have to change length. Mounting the rack to the axle means the shafts and joints have to allow for movement of the rack with suspension movement, and have to allow for the change length that movement brings. More like a CV joint than a u joint.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Rack steering on axle

In order to function correct the rack has to be mounted on the axle for the geometry to be correct. With a straight axle and a rack and pinion steering, the rack needs to move with the axle or you will have serious bump steer that can be dangerous at highway speed. This then requires a steering shaft that allows sliding up and down movement. Early Ford Taurus had a steering shaft that used a nylon bushing with a sliding shaft that works well with this set up.

Last edited by Studebaker; 04-25-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: correction,

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.