Strange clutch noise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Strange clutch noise

I've got a '55 Chevy that I put a new engine and transmission in. Everything brand new.

After I put about 1,000 miles on it, the clutch started to make a noise. Sounds just like brakes squawking when I'm starting the car out from a standstill. It only makes the sound once or twice then doesn't do it again it all until the car is shutdown and goes cold (at least an hour).
So, it will only do it cold and only the first takeoff. The takeoff has to be somewhat of a average one too. If I take off hard, no noise. Really gentle, no noise either.

Nothing else is wrong. The clutch feels great. I've inspected it very closely and I see no hint of any fluid leaks of any kind.

I've driven clutch cars all my life and never heard one make a noise before.

My inclination is to forget about it unless something else becomes apparent.

Thoughts???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Strange clutch noise Reply to Thread

It may be a bad/defective throw-out bearing. I know, lot of work to replace it.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

The throw out bearing is spinning on the fork. I had the same thing on my old 56. THe fork I had on mine had a metal clip that held the tob in place. One ear on the metal clip was worn away. Had to change out the tob. Some older tob had a notch in them to keep the bearing from spinning. THe new ones don't.
Here's an example of the clip style.
You might get lucky and just change the fork without pulling it all apart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-72-GM-A-B...ht_5771wt_1091

Last edited by RWENUTS; 06-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham View Post
It may be a bad/defective throw-out bearing. I know, lot of work to replace it.
I don't think the bearing is involved in the noise. It only happens on a (cold) take-off while clutch is slipping. Like I said, it sounds like brakes squawking. Not a bearing type of sound. And again, everything feels great. No chatter, bucking or holding problems at all. It's a very smooth operating clutch.

I can drive the car all day long and it won't make the noise again until the car is shut down for an hour or so. After that, again, it's just the first take-off.

Maybe it's just the particular friction material on my clutch disc. I don't know but I've never had it happen before.

Just for more info, the engine is a new Ramjet 350 that came with a new flywheel. The transmission is a new Tremec T56 Magnum 6-speed. This transmission has a 2.97 first gear and I'm using a 3.55 rear gear.
I don't know what brand the pressure plate and clutch disc is. I got the transmission from American Powertrain with a complete installation kit. I do know that the hydraulic throw-out bearing they provided is from RAM Clutches.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
The throw out bearing is spinning on the fork.
I should have given the info about my setup in my first post. But, you can see from my previous post that I'm using a hydraulic throwout so it doesn't have a fork.
I really don't think the throwout bearing is involved with this noise at all.

I did btw have that exact same issue with a bad fork on a Camaro many years ago.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Usually when we hear a brake squeak its because the pad or shoe has set up an oscillation that resonates the pad, shoe or some other sympathetic surface. If the pad is near something else metal like the rotor (duh) it gets amplified sort of like a guitar body. So the problem is to fine the source of the chatter -and from what I have heard the most likely culprit is the surface finish of the new flywheel or pressure plate against a relatively new friction plate. I don't know what grade friction plate you have, but if it has metallic particles in it for a hard bite (race applications) it may be that they need to "wear in" against the machine marks on the flywheel/PP to get burnished in before it will go away. Pressure plate flywheel surfaces need to be almost mirror smooth before they slip smoothly.
I have an old Studebaker (1937) truck that has a similar shudder on takeoff and the local expert says its because the friction plate doesn't have the right amount of slip against the old flywheel metallurgy. He has fixed a bunch of these by replacing with NOS asbestos plates and solved the problem. Asbestos apparently isnt as grippy as modern friction plate materials. In engineering it's called tribology or the science of friction. I am not an expert on the solution just a fellow victim of friction problems. I am just living with the "shudder" until I get motivated to pull the trans.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1low37 For This Useful Post:
roger1 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

I do think that you have to be right about the cause of this. Thanks.

This is a little weird though. I now have 2,100 miles on this setup. It didn't make the noise for about the first 1,000 miles and then it started.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

A bit strange

I would have to agree. the only explanation I can come up with is that it is going through the burnishing stages. However it could be something a bit more involved like a warped friction plate that shudders when the warp is being flattened buy the pressure plate at a particular distance where the FP can wobble or squeak. That unfortunately will only be found if you pull it and replace it. That theory would track with temp too. as warps can a lot of times be temperature sensitive.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

A bit strange

I would have to agree. the only explanation I can come up with is that it is going through the burnishing stages. However it could be something a bit more involved like a warped friction plate that shudders when the warp is being flattened buy the pressure plate at a particular distance where the FP can wobble or squeak. That unfortunately will only be found if you pull it and replace it. That theory would track with temp too. as warps can a lot of times be temperature sensitive.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1low37 View Post
But, you would think a shutter would be felt with some sort of vibration. No vibration at all. Feels perfectly smooth.
If it's burnishing stages like you say, then I guess it's no concern. It will stop or it will do it once in a while and I'll just ignore it.

I drove the car yesterday and it didn't make the noise at all. First time in while it it hasn't done it. I hope that is a trend.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

No Noise is a good noise

The type of noise is most of the time mass related, so if its something light like a brake shoe or spring vibrating we hear a high pitched squeak. Something much heavier we will most likely get a grumble or shudder kind of noise. Squeaks like a brake shoe hints its something light like an undersized (loose) cushion spring or warp in the friction plate. no noise = drive it
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1low37 View Post
Squeaks like a brake shoe hints its something light like an undersized (loose) cushion spring or warp in the friction plate. no noise = drive it
If it were that wouldn't the noise be more consistent than it is? I think so, so I will go with the burnishing thing and that it is of no consequence.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.