Hot Rod Forum banner

strange engine problem with check engine light

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  weirdbeard 
#1 ·
I have a 95 dodge dakota with a 3.9l v6 5-speed manual.check engine light came on today. At first I didn't notice anything but after a few short trips with the check engine light on I noticed that once I would let off the trottle the truck would coast in gear for about 2 seconds then it would feel like something would catch in the drivetrain similar to if I lightly tapped the brakes. The truck will coast in neutral fine but after letting out of the throttle in every gear I would feel this "catching". Underneath the truck there is about a 1"x2" dent (no holes) in the exhaust down tube about 1-1/2 feet before the two sides join into the single exhaust pipe. This is before the catalytic converter. Could this be causing it? Any other explanations? Thanks Brian

#2 ·
I don't think exhaust would cause the problem, but keep in mind that the check engine light could also refer to a problem in the transmission. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come on and tell you its something simple. But if you're having problems with how its running, there is a small possibility it could be a transmission problem. But don't be surprised when I'm wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.