Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Strange GM Regulator/Alternator Problem - Need some help!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 PM
OFMF

Last journal entry: 1970 Monte Carlo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Strange GM Regulator/Alternator Problem - Need some help!

Evening fellow Hot Rodders. I'm working on a 1970 Monte Carlo. Here's the problem:

Key on - no "Gen" light.

I have 12+ volts on 3 of the 4 wires at the regulator plug with it plugged into the regulator - I also have 12+ volts on the regulator case (regulator case not grounded to the chassis)? I found this when I was hooking up the battery - I had my test light hooked to the battery ground and the tip was sticking in a bolt hole on the rad support. As soon as I hooked up the positive battery cable and turned the key to "on", the test light lit up. I tracked it down to the regulator case - bolted to the rad support - and when I removed the regulator from the rad support, the test light went out. It will do this weather I have the 2 wire plug at the alternator connected or not to the alternator.

Car starts and runs fine but I have 16+ volts on the gauge and a meter?

Changed the regulator - same problem. Do I have a problem in the alternator? Why isn't the "Gen" light on with key "On"?

Any ideas, comments, questions, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pat