Strange holly carb find - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Strange holly carb find

I went to my favorite local junkyard today to look for a hood latch for my 89 camaro and while there I grabbed a holley 4bbl off a old international wrecker for $20. I really only wanted the carb for the transfer tube and rear metering block for the 1850 I have. Anyhow after I got it home and hosed it down in pb blaster I looked up the list number to see exactly what it was. According to the list number its a emmisions 600/4160 with a metering plate, but that is not how it is set up now.

This thing is set up really strange, it was ether rebuilt/modified by someone who didn't know what they where doing or it was set up this way on purpose. The front block has no idle adjuster screws, 562 jets and a weird power valve like I have never seen before. It has 2 removable parts and no diaphragm. It has 165 and 4c80 on it. The rear block looks like a normal 4160 front block with idle adjusters, 581 jets and a #65 power valve.

Any idea why it would be set up this way? I am probably only going to use the rear block and crossover tube from it so it dosen't really matter but I just found it strange.

list #7985
front block 7902 68032
rear block 5836 68031 with 3 x's over it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Looks like the weird power valve is a 2 stage unit. It looks a little different then the ones i can find pics of though. It seems someone made a 4150 by taking a 4175 front block and sticking it on the back of a normal 4160. Im going to clean up the block without idle screws and get a pv plug to run it on the rear of my 1850.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Don't touch it...I remember reading about that Carb...that's the rare one that got over 200 miles per gallon and Ford came and gave the guy $50, 000 for it. They only made 2 and the other one has been missing for years.

NO, it's not...I'm lying....I have no clue. Hopefully I got your heart beating fast for a second just to make sure you where alive. Maybe somebody that doesn't want to jolt you and really knows what it is will chime in.

It's snowing real hard where I am and today I have nothing better to do...I'm waiting for parts but the delivery guy can't get through.

Cheers

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro71633 View Post
I went to my favorite local junkyard today to look for a hood latch for my 89 camaro and while there I grabbed a holley 4bbl off a old international wrecker for $20. I really only wanted the carb for the transfer tube and rear metering block for the 1850 I have. Anyhow after I got it home and hosed it down in pb blaster I looked up the list number to see exactly what it was. According to the list number its a emmisions 600/4160 with a metering plate, but that is not how it is set up now.

This thing is set up really strange, it was ether rebuilt/modified by someone who didn't know what they where doing or it was set up this way on purpose. The front block has no idle adjuster screws, 562 jets and a weird power valve like I have never seen before. It has 2 removable parts and no diaphragm. It has 165 and 4c80 on it. The rear block looks like a normal 4160 front block with idle adjusters, 581 jets and a #65 power valve.

Any idea why it would be set up this way? I am probably only going to use the rear block and crossover tube from it so it dosen't really matter but I just found it strange.

list #7985
front block 7902 68032
rear block 5836 68031 with 3 x's over it
maybe for the high idle when the wrecker equipment was being used..
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Nah it had a pull cable on the dash for the high idle which oddly enough was right next to the choke pull. The carb on it was electric choke.

I need to stop asking stupid questions on forums haha. Good thing I didn't ask about the '601 heads I got on the same junkyarding trip that I plan on putting on a 350.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.