Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Jim Bob
I have a 92 4.3 Olds Bravada daily driver and the problem I am having is, well I think weird. I drove to work and parked it. In the evening I went to leave and it would not start. Tested and found no spark. Cap and Rotor were in need of change- so I changed it but it still would not start when warm. Here is the description of conditions:
*Engine at 140f it has no spark. Let it cool to 100 and it sparks. Will run until shut off but won't restart until cool.
*I removed ECM and cleaned the old paste from under the ECM and recoated with Dielectric grease.
It ran good and restarted several times and then it failed to restart.
I am wondering if the Dielectric grease might have broke down and lost the ability to be a heat barrier? Or do you have any other ideas.
I tried to test but it is intermittent and it has to be pretty warm to fail.
The right compound to use is a heat transfer paste, not a heat barrier unless a heat barrier is specifically called for. If what you removed was a white paste, it was a thermal conductive material most likely. Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Paste is one brand. Radio Shack or a computer repair facility will have the right stuff.