Hot Rod Forum banner

Strange noises

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  chrisflock 
#1 ·
The 4-speed in my 87 chevy has been on its death bed for a while now, so I just got around to replacing it, and the clutch, a week ago. I had hoped that in addition to elimating the whinging, grinding noise that came from the lack of 'bearings' in the transmission, this would eliminate several of the other weird noises my chevy makes. It didn't. I am still stuck with a squeal on acceleration, and sometimes a metallic noise from the rear, that sounds almost like a fan blade hitting its housing. Both noises seem to be speed, acceleration, and turn related. Basically, it makes these noises when I take off from a stop or speed up quickly, mostly below 30 or 35 mph. It seems to also be embarrassment related, but that's probably because of a simple Murphy's Law Gremiln.
I have checked to insure that all bolts that we took off to change the tranny are tight, even though the sound was there before. I checked to make sure all the bolts on the driveshaft were tight, along with the shocks. The shocks are new, and I did replace the brake shoes. We have tried shaking the truck, jumping up and down in the bed, but the noises are only generated when in motion.

Any clues what this might be? Where should I go from here?

#2 ·
where is the squealing noise coming from and what part of the vehicle?

the only thing i can suggest is to inspect your u-joints and you might want to pull the cover off your rearend to check in there for anything scary. also, have you pulled your rear drums lately? i'm just wondering if maybe you have a bad shoe with a separted lining or something?

JB

#3 ·
Is it making the noise while sitting still?................engine related.

If only while moving, is it dependant in what gear it's in?

If the sound increases in each gear, it's in the clutch or tranny.

Otherwise it could be anywhere else in the drivetrain, brakes, wheel bearings etc.

#4 ·
Only when moving, it is based on speed, regardless of which gear I'm in. I really don't think that its my tranny, since it was making these same noises before and still after I put a new one in.

#7 ·
U-joint dosn't move at all in park.

Or with the trans in gear the U-joint dosn't move at all without moving the rear end. That is the connection between the engine/trans and the rear-end so it is a positive connection, NO SLOP! If you got slop you found your problem, change the U-joint or U-joints if both have slop.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

#8 ·
I don't know if it's the u-joint that's loose of if it's the rear end. I know that on most cars with the trasmission in 1st you can turn the rear wheels a little bit, but how much is normal?

The front u-joint is tight, but if I take it out of gear I can turn the drive shaft a little less than a 16th of a turn before the truck tries to move. I wonder if this is the joint, of if it is wear in the gears?
The joint would be some much cheaper...

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.