A strange situation? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A strange situation?

Hi guys

I was blocking (with a 3M marine board & p120 paper)some panels last night. They had 2 coats of epoxy, 4 coats of 2k high build & a dark contrasting coat of wet on wet.

I blocked all of the wet on wet off & alot of the 2k high build, when a few areas of the epoxy was showing through I stopped.

When I re primed the panels there was a line of small dents right down the middle on both doors where maybe a rub strip had been removed?

Why, when all the dark guide coat had gone from the top of the grey primer were the dents not revealed? I just don't understand it.

Your thoughts please guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Panel flex.
On the truck doors I've been working on,They had a body moulding which I removed and had a nice "ditch" where they were.After striping,epoxy and polypriming I guide coated first and X sanded and I still have low spots that the "guide" showed was gone until I reguided and used VERY light pressure to sand with,Reprimed with poly,reguided and had areas that were low still. I used glaze putty on them,reprimed and solved the problem.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like I would have been better off skim coating the whole door in 2k stopper, then priming.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Bee4Me provides a working solution...but still doesn't explain your initial question of why these imperfections did not show up in the guide coat. The only thing I can come up with is that the 120 grit was so coarse it took everything down so quickly you couldn't see the low spots. Hardly seems possible you wouldn't have seen something.

Also, what is "2K stopper"?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Last photo:

Panel deflection, your pressing so hard you are distorting the panel and the low spots are not being hit.

Vince
Old 07-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Panel deflection, your pressing so hard you are distorting the panel and the low spots are not being hit.
Vince,

Wouldn't the problem be that the low spots ARE being hit...and hit too hard? I would think if the low spots were not being hit that they would show up like a sore thumb in the guide coat.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

mm, point taken. I thought using P120 would find all the low spots. It's the first time I have used the 3m marine board, I thought bit would be the mutts nuts since it is so large.

2k stopper by the way is a very fine bondo.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

Also make sure your sanding boards and blocks are perfectly straight, it is very common to find plastic, rubber, and wooden handle type boards/blocks that are warped even when new. You can't make a panel straight with a warped block/board.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve UK
Hi guys

They had 2 coats of epoxy, 4 coats of 2k high build & a dark contrasting coat of wet on wet.
What did you mean by the "wet on wet" comment? A guide coat should be a "misting" of color. If you applied a wet coat of another color, yeah it "should" show up, but it may require harder sanding and it the panel flexed as mentioned.

Also, "wet on wet", did that mean that it was applied while the urethane primer (I assume your 2K is urethane) was wet? If that is the case, the urethane probably sucked up some of your "guide coat" so when you sanded the you didn't sand the guide coat off, properly because it was part of the urethane coat as well.

A guide coat should be very lightly "Misted" so it sands off easy. You don't "try" to sand it off, you BLOCK, and if it IS sanded off, cool, if it isn't, then it did it's job. A lot of guys TRY to sand the guide coat off and do all kinds of strange stuff with pressure or sanding direction. You need to hold the block FLAT on the surface and just sand.

Brian
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Last journal entry: RAYzr
Last photo:

I love the "boat board" as we call it and we use it all of the time...one of the problems that occcasionally comes up, though is the board is actually too long cuz the surface has slight countour or diagonally sanding with it actually "saws off material where it shouldn't and creates countour where it shouldn't" and causes the very situation you describe....the rule here is, if
you're having this trouble, down size the board to say 24" composit board and equally diagonally sand ( say 10 strokes one way, 10 the other) and see if this helps with the problem...just a humble idea...
Old 07-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

All good info guys, thanx

My primer is acrylic 2k - 5:1:10% aplied with a sata NR95 with a 1.9 tip set, does that make a difference?

Wet on wet was my contrasting color primer guide coat, mixed very thin.

I have never used a "boat board" before & now you mention it I was hitting the highs of the frame pressings really early on. The board was two thirds the length of my doors so maybe it was too long for that job. I have blocked for 15yrs using an 18" block for my maximum length, only a few weeks ago did I invest in my new longer blocks. I do have a 24" so I will try that.

I so need to get this project spot on it's at a show in September!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve UK

Wet on wet was my contrasting color primer guide coat, mixed very thin.
But was the urethane primer WET when you applied the over reduced "primer guide coat?"

Brian
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

A lot of doors have blobs of sound deadening material between the intrusion beam and the skin. They will firm up the metal where the are sitting and cause uneven material removal.

One solution is to begin blocking with the coarsest grit possible and very light pressure, moving up in grit as you go. Very time consuming but nearly the only way I have found to achieve straightness on certain vehicles.

I recall Honda hoods (bonnets ) to be notorious for this problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 AM

Last photo:

The 2k primer had flashed off but was not dry when the wet on wet was applied.

I think I will re block with P80 next, lightly!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.