Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Strange thing happening with my clear "solvent pop"/"fish eyes" ?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Wiki Edits: 0

UPDATE!!!!

Today I finished the bed..

Convinced that it was the deference in temperature between the room and metal, trapping solvents giving my the major solvent pop......

Today we had better wormer weather...I didn’t bother turning on the heater. The room temp along with everything in it was at a steady 65*

I skipped the sealer, and applied 6 light-medium coats of base, with a 45 minute wait between coats, and an hour and a half wait between the last base coat and clear.

The clear was mixed 4:1:1 and not wanted to take any chances, since I used the fish eye eliminator on the front end, I also added a couple drops of it for the bed. Laid down 2 medium-wet coats of clear, with a 15 min. “tack” time in between.

Everything else was done exactly the way the front end was done......I used the same gun, compressor, line, filters, paint products, types of mixing cups, stir sticks..........well you get the point.

It came out GREAT........nice gloss, no runs, and only the minimal of orange peel (like oem jobs) I will still be giving it a light cutting and buffing to match the front end.........which I start cutting tomorrow.....all day tomorrow

This was definitely a bad case of the “planets aligning just right” to give me a major case of solvent pop.

I want to thank everyone who responded to this post. All your comments and ideas were greatly appreciated.

I’ll try to get pics of the bed tomorrow.