Hot Rod Forum banner

strange trans noise

908 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dainleljedal06 
#1 ·
I recently swapped a non world class Borg warner t5 into my 1984 Monte Carlo ss. I had the transmission looked over and was told that everything is 75% or better. the person who did it is a touch shady...so who knows. It has been working great until the other night.. when i was going around a turn in fifth gear with some power applied i heard a steady crunching/rumbling type noise coming from somewhere in the drive train, i could feel it in the gas pedal as well. the noise was faint..but loud enough that others in the car heard it. i let off the pedal and the noise stopped, and pressed again the noise started again. it only happens when i go around sharp turns under power in both 5th and 4th gear, i haven't tried any other gear. my drive shaft is a tad too long as a result of a mistake either in my measuring or at the shop, maybe only 1/4 inch of play...im not sure if this could have anything to do with the noise. also, i'm running a 350 with around 300 horse power. this is more than the tranny is rated for i believe...and i don't really baby it much. any insight at all would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Dainleljedal06 said:
I recently swapped a non world class Borg warner t5 into my 1984 Monte Carlo ss. I had the transmission looked over and was told that everything is 75% or better. the person who did it is a touch shady...so who knows. It has been working great until the other night.. when i was going around a turn in fifth gear with some power applied i heard a steady crunching/rumbling type noise coming from somewhere in the drive train, i could feel it in the gas pedal as well. the noise was faint..but loud enough that others in the car heard it. i let off the pedal and the noise stopped, and pressed again the noise started again. it only happens when i go around sharp turns under power in both 5th and 4th gear, i haven't tried any other gear. my drive shaft is a tad too long as a result of a mistake either in my measuring or at the shop, maybe only 1/4 inch of play...im not sure if this could have anything to do with the noise. also, i'm running a 350 with around 300 horse power. this is more than the tranny is rated for i believe...and i don't really baby it much. any insight at all would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

I wouldn't blame the mechanic.

You have a worn out transmission with a too long driveshaft. A load in the car makes the problem noticable.

What rpm are you turning "going around sharp corners" in FIFTH? You could be hearing engine firing pulses through the drive train due to low rpm lugging, or even u-joint angle binding due to load and body roll.

I'll bet you don't have synthetic ATF in the trans either, do you?

#3 ·
xntrik said:
I wouldn't blame the mechanic.

You have a worn out transmission with a too long driveshaft. A load in the car makes the problem noticable.

What rpm are you turning "going around sharp corners" in FIFTH? You could be hearing engine firing pulses through the drive train due to low rpm lugging, or even u-joint angle binding due to load and body roll.

I'll bet you don't have synthetic ATF in the trans either, do you?

about 1500-2000 rpm. i dont think the transmission is worn out, it was gone over, and if it was "worn out" he more than likely would have tried to sell me a new tranny. I do have synthetic fluid the gm stuff, 10 bucks a quart, so thats not the problem. there wasnt a load in the car, just me and my girl friend, body roll isnt too bad, and i'm not sure what you mean by engine firing pulses. the car wasnt lugging tho, just purring along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.