Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions.
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
Back in '92 when building my car I took both Master Cylinder and Power Booster from a wrecked 1989 Mustang LX and used both in my car. Did this because the wrecked Mustang LX was still basically a new car to me with only 30k on the odometer. Used the rear end out of the same car in my Street Rod Build. Emergency brake came out of an original Mustang II as recommended by Classic Motor Carriages at the time.
I guess I missed this part - while they can be rebuilt, I have a problem using a clunk master cylinder from the junk yard. You are spending thousands to build a car, why cut corners here. Master cylinders are too cheap not to buy new - a new Bendix for an '88 Mustang is $37, the older ('86)version, $43 from Rock Auto Parts while a new '79 Corvette, the usual type used on a rod is $43. Equate your time wandering a salvage yard, plus a kit - dang cheap for a new one. Of course "factory" rebuilts are even cheaper yet. Power boosters, if you even need one for a 2800 pound car, a bit more. I have one in my '31 - I forgot to delete that option, but the brakes seem to work fine with it disconnected. If it craps out - it's gone forever.

Dave W