Hot Rod Forum banner

Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions.

291K views 804 replies 73 participants last post by  shortsteven618 
#1 ·
Street Beasts is out of business, so is their tech support.
A couple of us thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where
tips, questions and solutions regarding these car kits can be discussed and hopefully solved. We seem to have a number of newer members with these kits and a number of members that have built these cars and have solved many of the problems. This thread would give these members to get together with their common problems and solutions.

We did have some employees of the company on our board a while back. Their input would be welcome I am sure too.

BTW, this thread is about the build, not the company that produced these kits. The mods will be monitoring the thread and talk of the company and policies of the company will be edited out or deleted, whatever it takes to keep it just about the build......so, lets keep it that way.

Since this thread will discuss a number of different subjects, from body to framework to suspensions etc, I thought it might be best to have this thread in the lounge.

#277 · (Edited)
JGK95 said:
Randy,

Pics or it didn't happen.

:D
Or it didn't happen.... What kind of question is that ???
That's one reason I quite posting on this thread...as for any pictures.. I really don't think I took any for that... Very easily done... Mine ran from the fire wall to the grill shell.. It was right under the lip of my side panel's.. I counter sink-ed from the top of the lip to bolt my side's too....

Here's a shot of the car before I had to sell it... And still had the wheels I bought it with..

Here's a few shot's of some of the things I did to mine..

Attachments

#280 ·
Street Beast

JGK95 said:
Randy,

It was said strictly in jest. You know, for fun. You still got your funny bone right?

Anywho Bob's got the idea. I was just wondering aloud about other alternative hood rails to a metal hood.
The thing about doing a metal hood is, you have to make back stops for one, you have to raise where it sits on the cowl, put back stops all up and down each side front and back of hood. You would have to put in hood latches, build up the top of the grille. Building up the cowl and grille because the metal is thinner than the glass hood. That's the same for the sides.

Bob

#282 ·
34 cabriolet

Hello everyone,i am a collision shop owner from PA who just purchased a 34 ford cmc from someone who could not get it together. Here is my problem,all the parts were put into barrels,buckets,boxes,etc and nothing labeled anymore and also no assembly manual. It looks like a 4yr old at Christmas with all these parts! Does anyone know where i can purchase an assembly manual (i really need this for parts id the most!) Any help would be greatly appriciated!

#797 ·
34 cabriolet

Hello everyone,i am a collision shop owner from PA who just purchased a 34 ford cmc from someone who could not get it together. Here is my problem,all the parts were put into barrels,buckets,boxes,etc and nothing labeled anymore and also no assembly manual. It looks like a 4yr old at Christmas with all these parts! Does anyone know where i can purchase an assembly manual (i really need this for parts id the most!) Any help would be greatly appriciated!
[/QUOTE

#284 ·
Street Beast builds

MLA55 said:
First welcome to the site.

Well IMO you don't need the book, I know New Interiors and myself didn't use the book, but there are others that did follow the book. The reason I didn't was I wanted the car more user friendly, and felt the book was not doing that. Also to make mine the way I thought it should be I changed a lot of things or re-did things on the car. I re-welded the whole frame as I didn't like the way it was done, cut out every thing that was to mount the Ford rear end, I put a Jag rear end in mine. Cut off the front fenders and put wider ones on it, put a different grille in it as the one you get is missing a bar on each side. I put wider fenders on it, as the front k-member is too wide. That is just a little of what I did.

If you would like to pm me I can give you my phone # it is easier than typing for me. I do have a manual, but it is up in my shop and I can't go up step yet.
I have told a couple other guys I would sent them one also.

Bob

#285 ·
Ls1?

NewInteriors: Where / how did you mount your coilpacks? I just installed my LS motor & tranny and was thinking of remote mounting the coils. there isn't much room left and i put the engine as low and back as far as i could. i like the looks of your pixs though, gives me inspiration.
ray

#286 ·
Putting it together

MLA55 said:
I found some help on Youtube, the manual I got with mine has been hard to follow in spots or visualize I guess, mostly my problem. But got on Youtube typed in streetbeast 34 ford coupe and came up with lots of good videos that show step by step process with doors, hood, trunk floor, rear end.... the best ones were by Pete from southwestern rod and custom... I have them all downloaded and saved on my hard drive to follow when I get my shop done and over this illness... I hope that's a help for anyone that has one of these cars and needs help. Pete is an artist... and his videos are a big help for those of us that need to visualize the process. Good luck to all. http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...95l0l11590l35l35l0l23l0l0l250l2151l1.7.4l12l0

#287 ·
Pro Street Frame Picks

Anyone got any picks of the work they did on the frame for the pro-street mods? And maybe any pointers. would like to see some detailed picks to get a better idea... but still looking through this thead if there are any here. :)

poncho62 said:
An 8.8 has a rear cover,,,,,,a 9" is the pot style where the whole gear pot bolts in from the front.

9"......

#288 ·
8.8 Ford Mustang rear end width

I read that the 59.5 inch rear end width of the 8.8 Mustang II for the 34 Coupe SB or CMC is too wide. Anyone come up with a definite rear end width (not pro-street) narrowed to accommodate the 60 series 8 inch wide tires to fit and make the wheel look good with a proper dish look. An 8 inch wide tire will do but would prefer a 10 inch wide tire if it would fit, anyone done that size tire? 10 inches may be too wide to fit even with the rear end shortened, no idea. I'm willing to move the shock mount inboard to acquire more room. Anyone that can help would be appreciated. Would rather have an idea before I start dealing with measuring to avoid missing something.

#329 ·
Beast rearend

I read that the 59.5 inch rear end width of the 8.8 Mustang II for the 34 Coupe SB or CMC is too wide. Anyone come up with a definite rear end width (not pro-street) narrowed to accommodate the 60 series 8 inch wide tires to fit and make the wheel look good with a proper dish look. An 8 inch wide tire will do but would prefer a 10 inch wide tire if it would fit, anyone done that size tire? 10 inches may be too wide to fit even with the rear end shortened, no idea. I'm willing to move the shock mount inboard to acquire more room. Anyone that can help would be appreciated. Would rather have an idea before I start dealing with measuring to avoid missing something.
Got a 99 Explorer rear w/disc brakes 3:73 gear. Cut left axle tube 2 5/16 inches . Can use a right side axle fits perfect. Gives you a 56 1/2 rear that fits great. I also went 4 Bar w/coilovers and can use as wide a tire as wanted.

#291 ·
Street Beast

rakrick said:
Has anyone set up the street beast gas tank for an LS1 fuel injection engine?
i understand the merrits of external and internal fuel pumps. Has anyone modified the tank for an internal pump?
I don't have a ls1 engine, I have a Ford H.O. engine, I have an internal pump in mine. You have to have a return line back to the tank. I have a one off tank in mine, Built, it is S/S. I had to have a different tank as mine car has a Jag rear end. The tank that came with it would not fit.

Bob

#293 ·
New Street Beast owner/builder

Just started on a 34 Coupe that another builder has almost? done. Just finished installing power window in 1 door and want to fit window seals but the channel supplied with the car seems too wide for the window run. The assembly manual is not very detailed as to now to get the channel in the window run. Any trick to this or should I look for a narrower channel or trim the window slot? The body has already been painted.

Bud

#297 ·
strait axle

Hey all,

I'm not sure if yal remember but I had brought up in the past that I thought one of my front wheels looked like it was tucked in more then the other (especially towards the back of the front wheel where the hump starts going down to the running board). I was positive it was because one fender was wider than the other however I was wrong. It turns out the cross member was welded in crocked by the previous owner(therefore pulling the back of the drivers side front wheel in more and pushing the back of the passenger front wheel out{giving it that look}). How this happend i'm not sure. I've decided I want to put a strait axle in the car. My question is I have two options. Cut all the welds and grind and grind and eventually get the mustang 2 front end out. OR make two simple cuts right behind the mustang two crossmber, pull the whole front end off and then weld in two frame rail extensions and start the process from there. My questions is does anyone know where to buy frame sections that I could weld on to my current frame. Would frame horns be suffecient for this job?? Any ideas, anyone? THANKS!!

#298 ·
Street beast

Jason0779 said:
Hey all,

I'm not sure if yal remember but I had brought up in the past that I thought one of my front wheels looked like it was tucked in more then the other (especially towards the back of the front wheel where the hump starts going down to the running board). I was positive it was because one fender was wider than the other however I was wrong. It turns out the cross member was welded in crocked by the previous owner(therefore pulling the back of the drivers side front wheel in more and pushing the back of the passenger front wheel out{giving it that look}). How this happend i'm not sure. I've decided I want to put a strait axle in the car. My question is I have two options. Cut all the welds and grind and grind and eventually get the mustang 2 front end out. OR make two simple cuts right behind the mustang two crossmber, pull the whole front end off and then weld in two frame rail extensions and start the process from there. My questions is does anyone know where to buy frame sections that I could weld on to my current frame. Would frame horns be suffecient for this job?? Any ideas, anyone? THANKS!!
Most parts off of a stock 33/34 ford will not fit on this frame or body without a lot of work. I don't know why the guy before you would have welded in the cross member as the factory did that. My fenders were off on mine and I ended up cutting them off and putting different ones on. check the drop from the top of the fender towards the engine bay. I had one that was right, the other took a steep drop.

The front cross member is too wide for the car also, so you cannot get your fenders over the wheels. I have widened my fenders 2"'s each and use short "A" arms. you can see it in my last picture above.

Bob

#300 ·
Street beast

Jason0779 said:
Thanks for the info. Has anyone out there installed a strait axle under one of these frames?
I don't think I would want to cut the frame horns off and add new ones that puts all the pressure on the welds, and not on the frame rails. I'm not sure but I think there was a guy up in Alaska that put a straight axle under his, I know he built it without fenders. The only way I would cut the frame rail would get a smaller size square tube to go inside of the frame. but there again you would have smaller tubing to hold the engine, I wouldn't be putting no big block in it, or plan on doing wheelies with it.

Bob