Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakrick
that's good input guys, thanks. actually once i thought about that a bit, i came to the same conclusion. i have all new disk brakes why not keep the whole system new.
You do whatever you want when building these cars. Remember there are plenty out there building Rat Rods also using a lot of old parts from many cars. You can spend a ton of money going about it with all brand new parts. It depends on what is important to you for your car. Forgot to mention I also used the spindles from the Mustang II front clip that I purchased in the early 90's when building my car. When thinking about the list of items I had purchased its been so long ago that its hard to think of everything. There are those that will put a used engine in one of these cars. That is where the line stops with someone like myself as I put a brand new engine in my car. There is plenty of new stuff in mine and some rebuilt items in my car. Even if the part was used like the upper and lower control arms they were all sandblasted and rebuilt and painted before they went into my build making them as good as new.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 AM

Used Engines

There was a time when I wouldn't even think about using a junk yard engine, but in recent years there are some amazing engines priced very reasonable at wrecking yards around my area. For instance the GM LS engines have in excess of 300 hp, come with an OD transmission for less than $2000 anywhere between 50K and 80K miles. Nothing wrong with a 2007 pickup engine and transmission with 50K to 80K miles on it, still well over 100K miles left. Both Ford and Chevy engines and transmission combos are available at wrecking yards that are pretty darn nice. There are several companies that make wiring harnesses that are easy to install.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I didnt know that Streetbeast made a Vicky kit.......Saw this ad for a car for sale up here....

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ270715905#

1933 Ford Vicky 1 piece fibreglass kit made in 2002 by Street Beasts. Mustang II front suspension, 8.8 posi rear, brand new GM ZZ383 aluminum head stroker motor, B&M TH-350 transmission, Edelbrock air gap intake, Holley carb, MSD 6AL box, MSD billet distributor and coil, front spindles, front brake pads and rotors, rear panhard bar, front sway bar. Car has less than 100 miles on drivetrain. Looks and runs incredible. Make you friends jealous and scare Grandma. Turn key killer Hot Rod ready to Rock n' Roll. I may consider possible trade on Harley Trike. Please call Randy at (905)701-****
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170564f_20.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	55538   Click image for larger version

Name:	3709hk8_20.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	55539  
Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I didnt know that Streetbeast made a Vicky kit.......Saw this ad for a car for sale up here....

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ270715905#

1933 Ford Vicky 1 piece fibreglass kit made in 2002 by Street Beasts. Mustang II front suspension, 8.8 posi rear, brand new GM ZZ383 aluminum head stroker motor, B&M TH-350 transmission, Edelbrock air gap intake, Holley carb, MSD 6AL box, MSD billet distributor and coil, front spindles, front brake pads and rotors, rear panhard bar, front sway bar. Car has less than 100 miles on drivetrain. Looks and runs incredible. Make you friends jealous and scare Grandma. Turn key killer Hot Rod ready to Rock n' Roll. I may consider possible trade on Harley Trike. Please call Randy at (905)701-****
Yea they had a '33 Vicky kit as far back as I can remember and that would be back to '92 when I started my project from Classic Motor Carriages. Could of even went back further with Fiberfab. I met a fellow building one back then when I was doing my '34 less then 2 miles away from my home in another town and we became friends but he ended up selling it being he was having a hard time putting it together.

The one you are showing is going for a lot of money. Doubt if the seller will get that kind of money or anything even close. He must not be happy with it only putting about a hundred miles on it or thinks he can make a lot of money on it by selling it.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Yeah - there are a couple that I see at NSRA/Burlington every year. They are fairly well done, but to me, look ----- different

Dave W
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

Can anyone suggest what rear shocks I should use on my '34 'beast coupe? It presently has air shocks (don't like the ride) and I blew out the right rear this past Sunday while tooling along on our horrible New England roadways. Maybe a coilover?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:14 AM

What kind of bracketing is under the car? And second what's the weight balance? What is the angle at which the shocks will be mounted? And last, what is the distance between mounting points? But to answer YOUR question, coil overs work very nicely and might be a good choice for replacement.

The reason I ask those questions is so a specific length, mount type and spring rate can then be discussed. If you have pictures, better yet. Brand name - that will your choice though I did have some poor luck quality wise with some QA1 springs.

Dave W
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardboy
Can anyone suggest what rear shocks I should use on my '34 'beast coupe? It presently has air shocks (don't like the ride) and I blew out the right rear this past Sunday while tooling along on our horrible New England roadways. Maybe a coilover?
If you built your car according to the manual using a stock rear end out of a Mustang that they recommended in the manual it gives you the part number for a shock to fit the rear on these cars. I crossed the number over to a Gabriel Shock I remember but right now I don't have access to that part number. If you need it and don't have your manual just let me know and I will try to help you out.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
What kind of bracketing is under the car? And second what's the weight balance? What is the angle at which the shocks will be mounted? And last, what is the distance between mounting points? But to answer YOUR question, coil overs work very nicely and might be a good choice for replacement.

The reason I ask those questions is so a specific length, mount type and spring rate can then be discussed. If you have pictures, better yet. Brand name - that will your choice though I did have some poor luck quality wise with some QA1 springs.

Dave W
Thanks for the response, Dave. There's not much in the trunk other than the Optima battery, so the weight is all in the front. The shock angle is almost straight up and down, and the distance between top and bottom mounting was 17.5 " but the car was jacked up with the right wheel a few inches off the floor, so I'll have to remeasure when it's sitting on the ground. I've included a photo of the bad shock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air shocks on coupe 005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	55697  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=ffas23]If you built your car according to the manual using a stock rear end out of a Mustang that they recommended in the manual it gives you the part number for a shock to fit the rear on these cars. I crossed the number over to a Gabriel Shock I remember but right now I don't have access to that part number. If you need it and don't have your manual just let me know and I will try to help you out.[/QUOTE

I didn't build the car. This is my wife's car. She liked the color, so that's why she bought it almost 2 years ago. LOL
It could have been a Yugo, and if it was "raspberry" color, she would have bought it! A lot of things I would like to change, but I won't because of the market value of these cars. So we'll keep it. Anyways, I don't have a manual, but this has an 8.8 rear end with 4 lug axles, so I'm assuming that it's Mustang II. If you happen to come across that shock part number from your manual, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardboy
Thanks for the response, Dave. There's not much in the trunk other than the Optima battery, so the weight is all in the front. The shock angle is almost straight up and down, and the distance between top and bottom mounting was 17.5 " but the car was jacked up with the right wheel a few inches off the floor, so I'll have to remeasure when it's sitting on the ground. I've included a photo of the bad shock.
Is that air shock what you are using for rear suspension? No springs? At least I don't see any. Or is it the usual Mustang rear end with springs over the axle? Whatever you have, I'm sure that we can figure something out. This is about what you will need for a coil over arrangement though this is on a 9" Ford.

Mine - I now have 200lb springs at vertical, 188# effective at 13 degrees inclination. Weight wise, the '32 gas tank, the added frame extension and the Optima battery add the weight to the rear of my '31 and is nicely stiff, but not jarring.

Dave W
Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

I went back through my file of paperwork from when I started building my '34 Coupe and found the Gabriel Part number for the Front and Rear shocks as I remembered the warehouse I purchased them from also. Don't know if they even make the part numbers anymore but someone from Gabriel if you contact them should be able to cross it to another shock. Ok I am going to give you the Part Numbers I have as I have 2 receipts for Front Shocks and Rear Shocks. Problem is I don't know which receipt is for the Rear Shocks or Front Shocks as they don't tell you on the receipt. The first receipt is dated 10/13/92 and listed on it is Gabriel Red Rider 82128 or 81106. One I assume replaced the other in the lineup. The second receipt dated 10/29/92 shows Gabriel Gas Red Rider 81461. I remember both sets Front and Rear were gas shocks just don't remember what part numbers listed here are Front or Rear but I am sure if you call Gabriel they should tell you what was what back then. Hope this helps. I believe the rear you have could of come out of a later Mustang being the '89 Mustang LX rear that I put in my car had 4 lug axles at the time but now have 5 lug axles.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Is that air shock what you are using for rear suspension? No springs? At least I don't see any. Or is it the usual Mustang rear end with springs over the axle? Whatever you have, I'm sure that we can figure something out. This is about what you will need for a coil over arrangement though this is on a 9" Ford.

Mine - I now have 200lb springs at vertical, 188# effective at 13 degrees inclination. Weight wise, the '32 gas tank, the added frame extension and the Optima battery add the weight to the rear of my '31 and is nicely stiff, but not jarring.

Dave W
If you look to the right rear of the air shock in my photo, you can see a glimpse of the small coil spring over the axle. Nice setup you have there. Did you fab the frame?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

BrickyardBoy, If it helps I am going to put my Street Rod up on my lift later this week and can take the part number right off of the Gabriel Rear Shocks to help you know what ones are the rears based on the part numbers I gave you. Right now my lift is tied up with my wifes Intrepid on it being I am waiting for a ABS Sensor for the left Front of her car. Had 2 shipped out to me and they arrived on Saturday but what always seems to happen to someone like me of course someone switched one of the part numbers in one of the boxes or returned it with the wrong ABS Sensor inside of it so I was only able to do one side and with the Holiday weekend I am forced to wait a few more days for the correct ABS Sensor to arrive depending on were it is being shipped from.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
I went back through my file of paperwork from when I started building my '34 Coupe and found the Gabriel Part number for the Front and Rear shocks as I remembered the warehouse I purchased them from also. Don't know if they even make the part numbers anymore but someone from Gabriel if you contact them should be able to cross it to another shock. Ok I am going to give you the Part Numbers I have as I have 2 receipts for Front Shocks and Rear Shocks. Problem is I don't know which receipt is for the Rear Shocks or Front Shocks as they don't tell you on the receipt. The first receipt is dated 10/13/92 and listed on it is Gabriel Red Rider 82128 or 81106. One I assume replaced the other in the lineup. The second receipt dated 10/29/92 shows Gabriel Gas Red Rider 81461. I remember both sets Front and Rear were gas shocks just don't remember what part numbers listed here are Front or Rear but I am sure if you call Gabriel they should tell you what was what back then. Hope this helps. I believe the rear you have could of come out of a later Mustang being the '89 Mustang LX rear that I put in my car had 4 lug axles at the time but now have 5 lug axles.
Thanks for that number. I would like to convert axles to 5 lug myself.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.