Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
BrickyardBoy, If it helps I am going to put my Street Rod up on my lift later this week and can take the part number right off of the Gabriel Rear Shocks to help you know what ones are the rears based on the part numbers I gave you. Right now my lift is tied up with my wifes Intrepid on it being I am waiting for a ABS Sensor for the left Front of her car. Had 2 shipped out to me and they arrived on Saturday but what always seems to happen to someone like me of course someone switched one of the part numbers in one of the boxes or returned it with the wrong ABS Sensor inside of it so I was only able to do one side and with the Holiday weekend I am forced to wait a few more days for the correct ABS Sensor to arrive depending on were it is being shipped from.
If you happen to access those rear shock numbers, that would be great! Are you happy with the ride you get with the Gabriels? Wish I had a damn lift! It would make things so much easier on this old body!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardboy
Thanks for that number. I would like to convert axles to 5 lug myself.
Some here may think I was crazy to do so but I am actually using the same axles as I had a friend of mine who was a welder back then tig weld the 4 lug holes shut and then we used a Ford Ranger Drum to mark out the 5 lug holes and redrilled them using a Drill Press in the area of the axle that was never drilled for lugs before and made the 4 lug axles now into 5 lug. Worked for me. Of Course the Front Rotors (Ford Granada) if I remember correctly were already 5 lug. I have Front Disc and Rear Brake drums. Ford Ranger don't remember what year were the replacement 5 lug Drums that fit the stock '89 Mustang LX rear in my build.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If you happen to access those rear shock numbers, that would be great! Are you happy with the ride you get with the Gabriels? Wish I had a damn lift! It would make things so much easier on this old body!
I felt the same way as I didn't have a lift right away when building my car back in '92 but put one in soon after in '93. Glad I still have it today being I am 60 years old now and can't imagine what it would be like to not have that lift today as I use to do a lot of crawling underneath plenty of cars back in the day. The ride is not bad but as I mentioned early on because the Fenders should of been a little wider from the factory using a Mustang Rear with 2 heavy people in the car I had some rub issues with the tires so I installed air bags in the stock '89 LX Rear Springs for if and when I needed them. I am 250 pounds and don't have any problem by my self but put someone else in the car with that kind of weight I then have a problem and rely on the air bags. Ride is not too bad otherwise. Got a good road to drive on, no problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
If you look to the right rear of the air shock in my photo, you can see a glimpse of the small coil spring over the axle. Nice setup you have there. Did you fab the frame?
OKaaaaaay - If you say there is a spring, there is............

The chassis is mostly a TCI '28-'31 'A' with the '32 gas tank fab add on being mine:

Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

street beast builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

The chassis is mostly a TCI '28-'31 'A' with the '32 gas tank fab add on being mine:

Looking at Dave's frame, and knowing what mine looked like before I cut a lot of mine out for the Jag rearend. I would guess that both cars weigh about the same, now I have a very early one, and I know they did change the frame. Mine has braces in the trunk, which you may or may not have.
Knowing Street Beast, the weight could be different and they still use the same shock. I'm using four coil overs, so I would be no help, but to say, I put the back end of my car on a scale, then decided what shocks and springs I needed. I will tell you I did not use the book for any of my build, some do some don't.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

I need to get access to a lift! Or a hydraulic creeper to help lift my old bones back in the upright position! LOL Here's a shot of one of the springs. I need to jack up the car this weekend and put it on stands so that I can at least remove the old air shocks. Had some nasty tornados come through the area the other day and made a mess. Trying to clean up the trees and branches. Never a dull moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 001.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	55787  
Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The exact Shock Part Number on the Rear Gabriel Shocks is #733604. Whether they still make them in that part number who knows? I would get in touch with Gabriel or a Gabriel dealer and see if they can cross that part number over to something else if they don't carry the number anymore. Remember I purchased these shocks in 1992 so numbers can change but I am sure they keep some sort of record on what they sold and what part numbers crossed over to something else being that part number was made to fit certain cars.

ADD ON. Funny I just looked back 2 posts of mine here for the Part Numbers that were listed on the Invoices back in '92 and the box part numbers were different. Maybe it is good that I took the part number right from the shock itself for you here above.

Last edited by ffas23; 06-04-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all your efforts. I really appreciate the help! I'm going to contact Gabriel and see if they can cross reference that part number to the new number. I think that I will be going with the gas shocks instead of the coil overs for now.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

Did a little search for you on the net at the Gabriel Website and they show that the part number 733604 now crosses over to 81461 fitting Ford vehicles below.
Check for yourself at this link: http://gabriel.com/

Part Number Search

Year Make Model Engine (opt.) Product Line
All ProductsAxle Shaft DamperShock AbsorberShock MountSteering DamperSteering Stabilizer BracketSuspension Stabilizer Bar Link KitSuspension Strut AssemblySuspension Strut Mount
Part Number Vehicle Attributes Application Notes

81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1980) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1981) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1982) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1983) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1984) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1985) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1986) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1987) Naturally Aspirated (Eng Asp) Non-ABS Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Ford , Thunderbird , 1988) Naturally Aspirated (Eng Asp) Non-ABS Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Continental , 1982) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Continental , 1983) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Continental , 1984) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Continental , 1985) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Continental , 1986) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Continental , 1987) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1984) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1985) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1986) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1987) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1988) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1989) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1990) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1991) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Lincoln , Mark VII , 1992) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1980) XR-7 Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1981) XR-7 Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1982) XR-7 Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1983) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1984) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1985) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1986) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1987) Rear
81461 Guardian Shock (Mercury , Cougar , 1988) Rear
Old 06-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I did that same search this morning, and came up with the same info. The 81461 shock has a 23.70" extended length, 13.84" collapsed length, and a 9.86 stroke, which looks like it would be perfect for my beast. Thanks a bunch for all the help!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Well I hit it lucky, and found a new pair of Gabriel 81461 shocks on ebay. I was the only bidder, and got them for 99 cents, plus $11.95 shipping. All things considered, that was a good price. They should be in today, and I'll get them on the car.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well I hit it lucky, and found a new pair of Gabriel 81461 shocks on ebay. I was the only bidder, and got them for 99 cents, plus $11.95 shipping. All things considered, that was a good price. They should be in today, and I'll get them on the car.
I would say you stepped in $h*t talk about luck. Good for you. I never begrudge any of my friends of having some good luck. Let me know how they work for you on your car. Also check the number that is actually on the shock. Just curious to see if the number changed there also.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

Like yours, the box read 81461, and the shocks read 733604. The ebay seller stated that they're the same shock, just with different control numbers. After I install them, I'll let you know how I made out. Again, thanks loads for all your valuable info.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Like yours, the box read 81461, and the shocks read 733604. The ebay seller stated that they're the same shock, just with different control numbers. After I install them, I'll let you know how I made out. Again, thanks loads for all your valuable info.
So in other words you got the same exact shock (733604 Gabriel) that I used on my build in 1992. These manufacturers make me laugh. I know I have been dealing with them in my business since '78. They come out with what is considered a new shock yet they sell the old stock of numbers reboxed with the new part number. Kind of like a store thats been around for awhile having a Grand Re-Opening. lol
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

street beast builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
So in other words you got the same exact shock (733604 Gabriel) that I used on my build in 1992. These manufacturers make me laugh. I know I have been dealing with them in my business since '78. They come out with what is considered a new shock yet they sell the old stock of numbers reboxed with the new part number. Kind of like a store thats been around for awhile having a Grand Re-Opening. lol
Looking at the list of shocks, everyone is for a car that weigh's a hell of a lot more than your 34 glass car, must be like riding on a board. Don't say it rides soft because it can't, when you put a shock that goes on a Lincoln, or even a Cougar. Two of us lifted mine with fenders, so the back of the 34 is pretty lite.

Brickyardboy, I have the manual if you need one, I won't be home for 4 weeks, I'm in a care center with a fracture of the tibia, can't get to the book. IMO you can build it better without the book.JMO

Bob

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.