Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

For what it is worth.. I have a few pictures of how I made mine where the body can be taken off and on if needed.. I had a computer crash. And lost 4000 pictures.. But I did have some in other place's that I saved..The # 1 thing I fixed on mine was this.. I glassed a new floor front to back,(all water tight)..With tubs built in.. Then I made a steel framing under the dash, And behind the seat.. That way you don't end up with the framing coming up through the floor, With them big gaps in the floor under the dash and behind the seat.. The door post was part of the back framing.. The door post bolted to the floor, And under the floor I came off the frame with a body mount that also bolted under the door post.. It was a body mount plus a back up for the door post.. Hope I am typing this where someone can read it right.. Anyway.. I hope this helps someone.. So that their car can be removed from the frame later if it needed to.. The framing that weld's to the frame DOESN'T have to be used if you set it up like this.. I hope I am not jumping the gun here.. If so.. Mods Let me know.. Here's some pictures I was able to save..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cid_1FA2AFE0CDEE11DBBF47DBCB72BCCC4E_snj-us-pcwp-705_kodak1.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	51332   Click image for larger version

Name:	cid_1FA404B2CDEE11DBBF47DBCB72BCCC4E_snj-us-pcwp-705_kodak2.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	51333   Click image for larger version

Name:	cid_1FA358DCCDEE11DBBF47DBCB72BCCC4E_snj-us-pcwp-705_kodak.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	51334   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2092.jpg
Views:	1487
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	51337   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2097.jpg
Views:	1546
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	51338  

Advertisement

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 01-04-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

34 Street Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
I have a 5.0 H.O. and I have room, You have to remember these cars didn't have a lot of room to start with. When you put a modern engine in them, and start hanging stuff on them, well the more you hang the less room you have. When you hang a blower on one you go up , but you either cut the hood or lay stuff along the sides, your bound to not have room.

Bob
My bust, You are on the money. Just got through measuring his 350 and my 302 abd it's just the stuff hanging on it,
A/c and the blower. Thanks for the check up.
James
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
For what it is worth.. I have a few pictures of how I made mine where the body can be taken off and on if needed.. I had a computer crash. And lost 4000 pictures.. But I did have some in other place's that I saved..The # 1 thing I fixed on mine was this.. I glassed a new floor front to back,(all water tight)..With tubs built in.. Then I made a steel framing under the dash, And behind the seat.. That way you don't end up with the framing coming up through the floor, With them big gaps in the floor under the dash and behind the seat.. The door post was part of the back framing.. The door post bolted to the floor, And under the floor I came off the frame with a body mount that also bolted under the door post.. It was a body mount plus a back up for the door post.. Hope I am typing this where someone can read it right.. Anyway.. I hope this helps someone.. So that their car can be removed from the frame later if it needed to.. The framing that weld's to the frame DOESN'T have to be used if you set it up like this.. I hope I am not jumping the gun here.. If so.. Mods Let me know.. Here's some pictures I was able to save..

Randy just for my own information, did you make that hump and tunnel, or did that come with it. Mine is a lot bigger, both in the hump and tunnel, I was wondering in case someone asks, I guess I would like to know they made different sizes along the way.

Thanks Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

If anyone has details on who purchased Streetbeasts's assets at auction, please add them to this thread. There might be a warehouse full of cheaply-acquired SB parts somewhere, that could be quite helpful to those building SB cars. I'm going to send out some emails and try to get some info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:
dhvoorhees (12-06-2012)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
If anyone has details on who purchased Streetbeasts's assets at auction, please add them to this thread. There might be a warehouse full of cheaply-acquired SB parts somewhere, that could be quite helpful to those building SB cars. I'm going to send out some emails and try to get some info.
Very good idea Jon, I wonder if the auction house would give out that info.?

Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
They must have changed the front cross member then, a lot of them don't fit, I had to widen my fenders 2" to get the fenders down. But they made a lot of changes.

Bob
I am a little confused by your quote above. My build started in 1992 as it was a CMC Body and Frame. Should be exactly the same as Street Beast. I never heard of any changes and never heard about any others that I ran into having problems fitting wheels and tires. This is a first for me to hear unless people are going beyond the sizes of (wheels & tires) recommended for this car.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
I am a little confused by your quote above. My build started in 1992 as it was a CMC Body and Frame. Should be exactly the same as Street Beast. I never heard of any changes and never heard about any others that I ran into having problems fitting wheels and tires. This is a first for me to hear unless people are going beyond the sizes of (wheels & tires) recommended for this car.
If you look at a lot of these cars they sit up where the fender does not come down over the tire, on my car I'm using 14" wheels, without going to my shop I can't tell you what size, but right now they have the tire I'm using and a stock rim, my fenders have been widen 2" each and \I'm still going to have to use a rim that is deeper in the wheel well to turn fully. I have tube upper A-arms and stock lower.You can see in the picture mine sit down over the tire.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front end valley grille 2.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	51340   Click image for larger version

Name:	side veiw 33.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	51341  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Randy just for my own information, did you make that hump and tunnel, or did that come with it. Mine is a lot bigger, both in the hump and tunnel, I was wondering in case someone asks, I guess I would like to know they made different sizes along the way.

Thanks Bob

I reused the shape of the tunnel and hump.. It is the size that came with the car..

And as far as the wheels not fitting, THAT WAS A PROBLEM.. with these cars.. Don't remember the size it had to be, but The front ones, You needed to use a rim with a lot of back spacing.. The rim had to be as flat on the outside as you can find... And for the back.. The mustang rear ends was a little to wide for them cars.. If you look at any pictures of a street beast the car had to sit high front in back.. You could make it work, Just didn't look right..

I took the bottom Arm on the rear end of my car off, It angled out.. I put the bottom bar straight..(made some out of tube).. Took them big ugly springs and shock's off also.. Added coil over's inside the back of the frame.. Gave me a lot more room for a wider tire..
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
I reused the shape of the tunnel and hump.. It is the size that came with the car..

And as far as the wheels not fitting, THAT WAS A PROBLEM.. with these cars.. Don't remember the size it had to be, but The front ones, You needed to use a rim with a lot of back spacing.. The rim had to be as flat on the outside as you can find... And for the back.. The mustang rear ends was a little to wide for them cars.. If you look at any pictures of a street beast the car had to sit high front in back.. You could make it work, Just didn't look right..

I took the bottom Arm on the rear end of my car off, It angled out.. I put the bottom bar straight..(made some out of tube).. Took them big ugly springs and shock's off also.. Added coil over's inside the back of the frame.. Gave me a lot more room for a wider tire..
Thank you sir. I knew the front wheels were a problem, but not the back I had cut everything out before I tried any rearends,I knew I was going to use the Jag. so I just put it in. Boy your hump and tunnel are way smaller than mine, I did make the hump a little bigger to fit the AOD.

Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thank you sir. I knew the front wheels were a problem, but not the back I had cut everything out before I tried any rearends,I knew I was going to use the Jag. so I just put it in. Boy your hump and tunnel are way smaller than mine, I did make the hump a little bigger to fit the AOD.

Bob
I had a LT1 with AOD in mine..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cid_DFBF102CEC9611DBBEF990D33495ED01_snj-us-pcwp-703_kodak.jpg
Views:	1852
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	51352   Click image for larger version

Name:	cid_DFBFAB36EC9611DBBEF990D33495ED01_snj-us-pcwp-703_kodak.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	51353  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 AM

Last photo:

Don't know what to tell you fellows but I didn't have any problem up front with fitting wheels and tires to my car. The only thing I did up front was to cut one of the coils out of each of the stock Mustang II Springs I used in building my car on both sides. It made it sit just right I feel. I actually purchased a front clip out of a Junkyard from a original Mustang II from the 70's and used the stock Mustang II upper and lower control arms and front springs and spindles in my build of course after sandblasting,painting and installing new bushings and new ball joints. Never even thought about buying aftermarket Tubular Control Arms at the time like plenty are doing today. Below are 2 Cruise-In pictures to view the front,side and rear of my car for how it sits. As anyone can see my front 14" BFG Tires sit nice under the front fenders mounted to my American Racing Wheels as well as my 15" on the rear. The front tires never touch the front fenders when turning. I should also mention that in my build I used a stock Rear End out of a wrecked 1989 Mustang LX in the rear of my car. Just bolted it right in after clean up and painting using the '89 Mustang LX factory rear springs also in the build. Axles were then made to use 5 lug.

Last edited by poncho62; 01-10-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Don't know what to tell you fellows but I didn't have any problem up front with fitting wheels and tires to my car. The only thing I did up front was to cut one of the coils out of each of the stock Mustang II Springs I used in building my car on both sides. It made it sit just right I feel. I actually purchased a front clip out of a Junkyard from a original Mustang II from the 70's and used the stock Mustang II upper and lower control arms and front springs and spindles in my build of course after sandblasting,painting and installing new bushings and new ball joints. Never even thought about buying aftermarket Tubular Control Arms at the time like plenty are doing today. Below are 2 Cruise-In pictures to view the front,side and rear of my car for how it sits. As anyone can see my front 14" BFG Tires sit nice under the front fenders mounted to my American Racing Wheels as well as my 15" on the rear. The front tires never touch the front fenders when turning. I should also mention that in my build I used a stock Rear End out of a wrecked 1989 Mustang LX in the rear of my car. Just bolted it right in after clean up and painting using the '89 Mustang LX factory rear springs also in the build. Axles were then made to use 5 lug.

then why is it sitting so high ???

Last edited by poncho62; 01-10-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
then why is it sitting so high ???
You are the first person to tell me my car is sitting high to be honest with you. Been driving this car for a long time and it sits as well as most '32-'34 Coupes that I have seen out there since I started my build in 1992. I guess to each his own.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are the first person to tell me my car is sitting high to be honest with you. Been driving this car for a long time and it sits as well as most '32-'34 Coupes that I have seen out there since I started my build in 1992. I guess to each his own.

Most people won't tell you, But when we are on here talking about a problem with these cars, We will point it out.. So please don't take this the wrong way.. Your car is very nice, And I'm not trying to knock it.. But anytime you can see day light on top of the tire.. On these cars. It is to high.. Sorry for being the one to point it out.. And some people do like it that way.. But on a car with them fenders, They look much better when the top of the tire is inside the fender..I have a few pics to better show you what I'm getting at..

If that girl on the PS of the car wasn't standing there, I could show you that if you lower your car the tires would hit the lip of your fenders.. When you can see the inside of you fender well (top side)from the outside of your car.. IT TO HIGH... That's the point we are trying to make here..We do not want to turn this thread into a fight. It is to better help people understand what's wrong, And what to look for to fix it.. Randy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nat2035.jpg
Views:	2669
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	51358   Click image for larger version

Name:	nat0238.jpg
Views:	2612
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	51359  

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 01-05-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

if you look at this picture, You will see how much more my tire is in,, Giving me a little more room for setting the car at a better ride height..

[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all pics 2088.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	51360  

Last edited by poncho62; 01-10-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Other.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.