Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 24 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
48 Ford Pickup, 34 Ford Coupe

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowraker View Post
The angle of the bend in the hinge is 115 degrees.
Thanks SnowRaker.
I'll check the fit based on the 115 degrees.
I'm currently working on the rearend and getting the correct width based on using Micly Thompson 30x12-15 tires with the American Racing wheel "Torq Thrust" 10" rims. I have to cut down the rear housing and axles and also have the wheels bolt pattern converted from 4 to 5 lugs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Rear wheels

I know I'm going to have a problem getting wide enough tires for the SB. They didn't design enough room in there. I've have avoided that issue, but will have to face it soon enough. I went the four lug to five lug route also with junk yard parts. I'll probably have to modify the fenders to get something like yours to fit; then again my rear end (Ford 7.5 locker) will probably break before the power ever gets there to light 'em up.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowraker View Post
I know I'm going to have a problem getting wide enough tires for the SB. They didn't design enough room in there. I've have avoided that issue, but will have to face it soon enough. I went the four lug to five lug route also with junk yard parts. I'll probably have to modify the fenders to get something like yours to fit; then again my rear end (Ford 7.5 locker) will probably break before the power ever gets there to light 'em up.
I finally received the wheels about two weeks ago and have measured how much I have to reduce on the rear. Once I had that I ordered a new set of axles and bearings (from MoserEngineering.com) with 9" housing ends that will fit nicely on the end of the narrowed 8.8 rear. The new axles are really nice and will work much better than the c-Clips onn the 8.8. I'm also going with disc brakes for the rear. Moser Customer Service is real good and helped figure out a few things. It should be a nice setup after I get the rear narrowed. Good luck with your SB. I'll have post a few pictures soon. Yours looks real good.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvoorhees View Post
I finally received the wheels about two weeks ago and have measured how much I have to reduce on the rear. Once I had that I ordered a new set of axles and bearings (from MoserEngineering.com) with 9" housing ends that will fit nicely on the end of the narrowed 8.8 rear. The new axles are really nice and will work much better than the c-Clips onn the 8.8. I'm also going with disc brakes for the rear. Moser Customer Service is real good and helped figure out a few things. It should be a nice setup after I get the rear narrowed. Good luck with your SB. I'll have post a few pictures soon. Yours looks real good.
I'm planning on putting in a 460 BigBlock Ford motor in my 34 Ford Coupe Streetbeast. Not sure much might have to be modified to make it fit. Also has anyone used a particular header model besides huggers/shorties in their 34 Ford? Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23 View Post
I am here to extend any help that I can in building the 34 Coupe although its been quite a while since I have built mine from Classic Motor Carriages. One good thing is that I am still driving and enjoying my car when weather permits which should give some hope to those who haven't finished their cars or picked up unfinished kits that someone else did not finish. This thread could be a great help to those that need it and I think it is a good idea that it was started. Just my 2 cents.
Hello . I'm building a 34 Ford Coupe Streetbeast and have a question. Do you know what header will fit when using a Ford 460 Big Block? Thanks Daryl. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23 View Post
Bob I didn't have to change a thing with my fenders as I used the correct wheel and tire size recommended at the time by CMC. It was all listed in the CMC manual.
Hello . I'm building a 34 Ford Coupe Streetbeast and have a question. Do you know what header will fit when using a Ford 460 Big Block? Thanks Daryl. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod 9152 View Post
I can help a little, I still have all the manuals and video of the build, the car I have is a 34Classic Motor Carriages the same company, Street Beast. Just let me know if you need the Info. My car has a 302 with a B&M blower, and is a tight fit for the car making it hard to clean an work on. I have a friend that has the same car with a 350 chevy and he has a lot more room to work around. Just might help with choseing a motor.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
This article could turn into a good Wiki, making it easier to navigate specific problem areas.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The '34 SB or CMC KIT was designed to use either a small block Chevy or Ford engine. When purchasing the kit you needed to let the manufacturer know which engine you were going to install in order to get the correct engine mounts. I doubt even SB or CMC would be able to help you with your question if still in business as you decided to go with something else. I guess you will have to mount your engine and do a lot of measuring. I used a shorty header when starting to build mine back in '92. Its been a long time but I remember many of the aftermarket company's back then having shorty headers to fit the small blocks for the CMC '34.

Just looked through my file of paperwork from back in the early 90's when I started my build. Found a invoice for my Headers from a company called ENOS Custom Components for $149.95 plus shipping dated 12/7/92 for my '34's Aluminized Shorty Headers for Angle Plug heads on my ZZ4 Series Chevy Motor I installed back then. Just looked online and ENOS is still in business located in California. Look them up and give them a call and tell them what you need. You never know they just might have something for you.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Daryl,

Your most important concern right now is where to weld the frame mounts so that they line up with where the motor mounts are on the engine.

Of course this already assumes you have your driveshaft selected and measured out.

So once you have the driveshaft, trans length and engine dimensions, you can then calculate your frame mount location and the get some measurements that take into account the location of both the firewall and front fender spacing for your exhaust headers regardless of manufacturer.

Hope that helps!

Jay "The Armchair QB" K.

Ps. Don't forget to take the trans support bracket measure into account as well!

Last edited by JGK95; 02-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

headers

Quote:
I don't have a big block, I have a 5.0 H.O. in mine with full lenght headers they were stock on the Mustang. I got an aftermarket set without the dents in them like the stock ones have. No problem with fit, But I don't know if you could run them without cutting something.

Bob
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 AM

Last photo:

update with pictures

Some of the progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015150.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	792.6 KB
ID:	71417   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015155.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	786.5 KB
ID:	71418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015151.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	807.7 KB
ID:	71419   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015156.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	817.7 KB
ID:	71420   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015163.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	766.5 KB
ID:	71421  

Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 AM

Last photo:

You'll have to admit, that Ford big block looks nice sitting in a "Ford" rather than the usual GM small block.
The Following User Says Thank You to brickyardboy For This Useful Post:
dhvoorhees (02-16-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Hey gentleman I see a lot of talk of wheels and tires. I am in a similar situation myself trying to figure out which way to go. For the heck of it I put the wheels and tires off my camaro on the 34 just to see what it would look like. To my surprise they almost fit. The rear is 15X10 with mickey thompson 325/50R15 and the front is 15X3 skinny's with mickey thompson sportsman skinny tires (forget the size off the top of my head). The rear actually has plenty of room on the backside. The sidewall was just a hair too wide for the front side of the rear tire.

My thought was a 15X8 with 5.5" backspace in the back with maybe a 255/60R15 and the front a 15X4 with 1.75 backspace with a 175/80R15 tire.

Here it is with my camaro wheels and tires.

Here are the new wheels I got.

And the tire sizes I was thinking about.

What do you guys think about this?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

The above looks terrific!

Our Rear Tires are General Altimax HP 255x60x17. The fronts are 185/??/15's on 15 inch wheels.

Jay K.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.