Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here is a very good Example of why you CAN'T lower the car.. This is a picture of the man that had the car before me.. He was setting the car up, Like the Manuel said too.. Hope you can see why now..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2028.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	51361  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

There is not much space above the Front Tires in the pictures I provided of my car. Sorry these pictures are not digital and where scanned in my PC taken years ago. Its pretty dark in the tire and wheel area making it seem worse then it is especially in the rear of the car. In the rear of my car nothing was done with the fenders. They are like they came from CMC. I always felt they should of been wider from the factory. Because of it based on the wheel and tire I used I was forced to put air bags in my rear coil springs needed especially when carrying a 2nd passenger. Now I weigh almost 250 lbs. Put someone else in there with me even weighing just under 200 lbs you are going to have a problem with rubbing on certain bumps in the road with the rear tires. The air bags helped my situation. Maybe I should of let the air out so the back would of dropped down for the picture as 2 of us went up to that Cruise-In the night that 2nd picture was taken. It doesn't always have to sit that high although it really doesn't bother me none and as I said you are the first to tell me that my car is sitting too high. Up close it really doesn't look bad to me compared to other cars I have looked at out there over the years and based on what I had to work with. Sure you are going to get guys who tub the back out and get to do what you see in the pictures you provided but my car is basically a Stock CMC build and nothing more. Didn't do anything special to my car other then to use a different front grill and leave the doors shaved less the other outside hardware such as bumpers and rear gas filler.

Don't worry about turning this thread into a fight with me. I welcome all comments here.

Last edited by ffas23; 01-05-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
There is not much space above the Front Tires in the pictures I provided of my car. Sorry these pictures are not digital and where scanned in my PC taken years ago. Its pretty dark in the tire and wheel area making it seem worse then it is especially in the rear of the car. In the rear of my car nothing was done with the fenders. They are like they came from CMC. I always felt they should of been wider from the factory. Because of it based on the wheel and tire I used I was forced to put air bags in my rear coil springs needed especially when carrying a 2nd passenger. Now I weigh almost 250 lbs. Put someone else in there with me even weighing just under 200 lbs you are going to have a problem with rubbing on certain bumps in the road with the rear tires. The air bags helped my situation. Maybe I should of let the air out so the back would of dropped down for the picture as 2 of us went up to that Cruise-In the night that 2nd picture was taken. It doesn't always have to sit that high although it really doesn't bother me none and as I said you are the first to tell me that my car is sitting too high. Up close it really doesn't look bad to me compared to other cars I have looked at out there over the years and based on what I had to work with. Sure you are going to get guys who tub the back out and get to do what you see in the pictures you provided but my car is basically a Stock CMC build and nothing more. Didn't do anything special to my car other then to use a different front grill and leave the doors shaved less the other outside hardware such as bumpers and rear gas filler.

Don't worry about turning this thread into a fight with me. I welcome all comments here.

I truly understand.. You don't have to tub these cars for them to sit right.. But you do have to cut down the rear end.. To be able to get the right tire in there.. I tubed mine because I was going to fit some 20 x 10's under it.. If you change the back like I did without the tubs, You can fit some nice tires under it.. But with the shock on the outside of the frame,(between the tire and frame) Plus the spring and lower arm.. You can't do ******* with it, That's why the tires stick out and the car has to be in the air.. You said it clearly, When you said the tires would rub.. If it was set up right, You wouldn't need to put air in the bags so you and someone could ride safely.. That's what we are getting at with all this..Thanks for understanding..

And if you look at post 31 you will see the back wheel has ''NO'' dish on the outside of the wheel.. VERY UGLY !!!! A rear rim NEED'S a little dish.. Just think where that tire would be if it had half the back spacing it has.. That tire would be waaaay Out there..Like most are..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 01-05-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Here's two pictures that show how much you will gain for tire room if you do what I did.. Look at everything that's in the way of putting a wider tire.. Are better yet.. The right tire.. Now you will still need a narrower rear end..everything inside of the box, can be relocated.. Look between the lines how much room is wasted..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aa.JPG
Views:	1071
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	51365   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.JPG
Views:	1080
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	51366  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

street beasts

Quote:

I'm not saying anything is wrong with any of these cars, but the two biggest negative comments I hear are, the grille insert looks really bad, and they must have something wrong with the front cross member they sit up like four wheel drives, they can't get the front fender down over the tire. You have never heard anyone say that because, streetroodders don't say negative things to the owners, let everyone build them as they like, even though most don't care for them that way. Open fender-ed cars look best with the fender over the wheel, not right down to the top of the tire. Randy and I have built these, but to our own beat, And to let you know I have had mine since 1989. I do not have it done yet, only because I have built other cars and mine sat because I had a few operations like 31, But I know a little about building them. Like I said we are not here to knock any ones car, the only thing that matters is, if you are happy we are, But there are people out there that might want to change theirs and we are here to help.

Bob

The side view of my car, you can see how the fenders are almost to the rims. I used 2" dropped spindles, I used mustang road racing springs that lower the car 1 3/4" , they are cut down but have the same compression rate as a stock spring, then I made a new mount and lowered the body down some, besides widening the fenders 2".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side veiw 33.2JPG.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	51367   Click image for larger version

Name:	side veiw 33.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	51368   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear end 1.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	51369  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I had a LT1 with AOD in mine..

NI I see one thing different, your whole firewall is not the same as mine, mine looks a little like the stock 34, that might be why your hump and tunnel are different, that and I lowered the body in the front. Also my wipers were up top yours down by the cowl.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33ford 1989_1.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	911.4 KB
ID:	51378   Click image for larger version

Name:	33ford 1989_2.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1,011.4 KB
ID:	51379  

Last edited by 35terraplane; 01-05-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Don't know what to tell you fellows but I didn't have any problem up front with fitting wheels and tires to my car. The only thing I did up front was to cut one of the coils out of each of the stock Mustang II Springs I used in building my car on both sides. It made it sit just right I feel. I actually purchased a front clip out of a Junkyard from a original Mustang II from the 70's and used the stock Mustang II upper and lower control arms and front springs and spindles in my build of course after sandblasting,painting and installing new bushings and new ball joints. Never even thought about buying aftermarket Tubular Control Arms at the time like plenty are doing today. Below are 2 Cruise-In pictures to view the front,side and rear of my car for how it sits. As anyone can see my front 14" BFG Tires sit nice under the front fenders mounted to my American Racing Wheels as well as my 15" on the rear. The front tires never touch the front fenders when turning. I should also mention that in my build I used a stock Rear End out of a wrecked 1989 Mustang LX in the rear of my car. Just bolted it right in after clean up and painting using the '89 Mustang LX factory rear springs also in the build. Axles were then made to use 5 lug.

At this stage of my build, basically only parts from a purchased unstarted kit, it's really great to see your finished car. it looks great.

Last edited by poncho62; 01-10-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

I am a newbe

This will be a great thread for me. I'm one of those who purchased an unstarted kit second hand. I'm in the process of trying to find front suspension from a junk yard and a Ford 9". Lots to think about and kind of overwhelming. I'm just taking one step at a time and think 2 steps ahead. I hope that's good enough. My kit is a 34 cabreiolet. The guy i got it from says it's set up for ford engine & trans, but my paperwork says Chevy. One choice i have to make is front suspension: New tube offers 5/8 narrower and after hearing clearance issues that may be the way to go. Although I've seen a classy looking ride using 14" rims on the front with no issues so that may be my route.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakrick
This will be a great thread for me. I'm one of those who purchased an unstarted kit second hand. I'm in the process of trying to find front suspension from a junk yard and a Ford 9". Lots to think about and kind of overwhelming. I'm just taking one step at a time and think 2 steps ahead. I hope that's good enough. My kit is a 34 cabreiolet. The guy i got it from says it's set up for ford engine & trans, but my paperwork says Chevy. One choice i have to make is front suspension: New tube offers 5/8 narrower and after hearing clearance issues that may be the way to go. Although I've seen a classy looking ride using 14" rims on the front with no issues so that may be my route.
If you have not read all that been posted, make sure you do, there is info. on the front ends and 14" wheels will not cure it, that is one of the reasons this thread was started. you have some choices to make, and maybe we can toss out some idea's that will help. Getting a 9" rearend doesn't mean it will bolt right in you may have to cut it to fit. You are going to have to do a lot of work with the tape measure before you buy things. We would like to see you build a nice car, without going out and buying extra parts or parts that will not work. So with that said, go back and read the posts, if you have read all of them, make sure you understand what has been said, if you don't we will try again, if you know what you want, but don't know how for sure to get there, we will try to get you there or tell you maybe you can't get there. These are your cars, you know how you see them when done, that is what we would like to see also.

Bob
Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Over the years, there have been quite a few threads on Streetbeast builds on Hotrodders.com...If you do a search, it will bring them up....A couple of them are........

Street Beasts '34 build starts

StreetBeast rod kit's

A lot of reading, but it may help the newer members who are just starting their builds......

Budget RVs
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakrick

I want to say the guy before me bought the narrower a-arms for mine.. I had the tubular a-arm on mine.. I want to say they where the narrow ones.. The 9'' will work fine.. But will have to be narrowed.. I don't think you will find one that will just fit right in..
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Again Guys.. I'm not here to knock anyone's car's are talk bad about the street beast cars.. It can be made into a very nice car.. And has been many times.. I think the body is very nice, But there is a lot that need's to be done different to make this car better.. I'm Not here to say my way is the best way, and you have to do it that way.. I'm just posting what I did to mine. To try and maybe give someone some idea's... It's all about planning your build to have the best and safest car you can.. Anything I can do to help someone I would.. So good luck on your cars..
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
NI I see one thing different, your whole firewall is not the same as mine, mine looks a little like the stock 34, that might be why your hump and tunnel are different, that and I lowered the body in the front. Also my wipers were up top yours down by the cowl.

Bob

Mr Bob.. I know they had two 34 molds.. I think I asked that over in the street beast thread.. And I think they made that change.. My Car is a CMC body..

On the Manual it has ..... Cont. No. 23715 Not sure if this is a body # are not..
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Mr Bob.. I know they had two 34 molds.. I think I asked that over in the street beast thread.. And I think they made that change.. My Car is a CMC body..

On the Manual it has ..... Cont. No. 23715 Not sure if this is a body # are not..
Randy mine also was CMC, I got mine in 89, I was going to look mine up to see what or if it had a body #.
What you said on your last post before this one, is how I feel also. And the Mods are going to try and keep the BS off here, This thread is just top help with a build no more no less.

Bob
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
I took the bottom Arm on the rear end of my car off, It angled out.. I put the bottom bar straight..(made some out of tube).. Took them big ugly springs and shock's off also.. Added coil over's inside the back of the frame.. Gave me a lot more room for a wider tire..
Randy,

You got any pictures of the end result? I saw your pics on page three of the "before" work. I'd like to see the "after" photos please.

Thx,

Jay K.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.