Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 32 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bob and Dave,
Thanks very much for your comments. The side covers came from a company in Knoxville TN called Specialty Autoworks. They worked with SB for a while as an "official" builder of cars. Sort of where Pete with Southwest Street Rods is now. Unfortunately they got into sort of the same mess as SB themselves, with lawsuits, etc. They've opened under a new name, Specialty Auto Sports. I do not know if they are still producing these, but from what I've read, I'd proceed with caution.

It's funny you should mention the grille shell and how it makes the car look more like a '34. While I was building it, I was reading all the posts on websites bashing SB and their cars. A lot of that had to do with how the cars looked. When I took the car to the rod shop for finishing, we discussed the points people were making about the looks of these cars. We changed a number of things that I call "taking the Street Beast out of the car". The grille shell was cut back to the same dimensions as a '34 shell we had in the shop. The insert was made from 1/16" stainless steel bar stock with 5/16" spacing and curved in at the top. The grille shell was laid back to match the angle of the windshield posts. The insides of the hood, side covers and trunk lid were finished to match the outside of the car. And the biggest thing was the top. The tops from Street Beast didn't seem to match the look of the rest of the car, so we designed the aluminum Carson top, which was curved to match the rest of the body lines.

I've had the car to several shows where no one could tell it was a street Beast. The only telltale left is the one-piece body (no welting in the body lines). One guy who built these cars in Atlanta saw the car in Moab and actually had to get on the ground to look at the frame to be able to tell. I don't know what all this is going to mean if I ever want to sell the car, but as I said it's won a shelf full of trophies against some pretty stiff competition. It won best interior at the 2008 Utah Autorama against 250 cars, some of which were purpose-built for that circuit. The best was probably the Peach Days show in 2011. I won best in class against a car that had competed for AMBR in 2008. The owner threw his second place trophy back at the judges. The story has become legend in Utah car guy circles.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdino For This Useful Post:
Badazhemi (01-30-2014), daves 34 (01-13-2014), JGK95 (01-14-2014), Rodnit (01-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Guys,
I wanted to ask your advice about a website I came across the other day, called Myclassicgarage. It looks kind of like "Facebook for car guys", but I'm a little nervous about signing up. A lot of times sites like this make their money by selling your contact info to advertisers who then fill your email inbox with crap, text you, etc.
Has anyone had any experience with these guys?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

JDino,

I don't know anything about them, but if your gut says not to do it ...

Ultimately, it's your call. Btw, I loved the last story about the AMBR contender throwing a hissy fit. LOL!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95 View Post
JDino,

I don't know anything about them, but if your gut says not to do it ...

Ultimately, it's your call. Btw, I loved the last story about the AMBR contender throwing a hissy fit. LOL!
That was a great story! If I ever turn into that guy, and I know I wont, it's time to get out of the hobby....... I may have mentioned this before, but at one show I had a couple guys feel the inside of the fender when they thought I wasn't looking to see if it was steel or not....... And they were running the show. Ha ha.....
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

I've had people knock on a fender with their knuckle and try to stick a magnet on my car as well

The story about Peach Days circulated so fast because this particular guy is generally disliked in the car community here. Everybody seems to have a similar story about some meltdown or rant of his. It doesn't help that he's wealthy and flaunts it. He'll bring a 30 foot triple axle trailer to the shows with the cars in it and have a couple of "assistants" (referred to locally as "boy toys") move the cars onto the grounds, and even wipe them off during the show!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdino View Post
Guys,
I wanted to ask your advice about a website I came across the other day, called Myclassicgarage. It looks kind of like "Facebook for car guys", but I'm a little nervous about signing up. A lot of times sites like this make their money by selling your contact info to advertisers who then fill your email inbox with crap, text you, etc.
Has anyone had any experience with these guys?
I have never heard of it, but as jay said, it's your gut call, or your mail box.

Bob
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I've had people knock on a fender with their knuckle and try to stick a magnet on my car as well

The story about Peach Days circulated so fast because this particular guy is generally disliked in the car community here. Everybody seems to have a similar story about some meltdown or rant of his. It doesn't help that he's wealthy and flaunts it. He'll bring a 30 foot triple axle trailer to the shows with the cars in it and have a couple of "assistants" (referred to locally as "boy toys") move the cars onto the grounds, and even wipe them off during the show!
Magnets? Wow, someone sure has a pair of nads.....

Sounds like the guy is actually a laughing stock with the other members of car enthusiasts. That's a 180 from the reaction he was going for, he wanted everyone to be in awe...... What a schmo......

Thanks for sharing your stories and chock one up for the Beasts.........
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM

had that..did that.. how'd you do that ????

Agree with you 100 %.l.m.a.o.. You could"nt have said it better.I have a 34 street beast coupe.Yes ,it has presented many build issues.That is what hot rodding is all about.If you want a roller buy one.
My 34 has had multiple engine and tranny combinations over the 18 years I have owned it.Started as a 5.0 H.O. with tremac t-56.Then a Cadillac 500 ,cam ,better intake etc.th 400 trannythen, sbc 383 roller cam,brodix heads,2 fours, built 700r4 tranny.460 bbf stroked to 512 build c6.Finally after years of wheeling and dealing it now has a 392 chrysler hemi,6-71 Don Hampton blower,dual 750 cfm competition Hampton carbs,hot cam,block hugger headers,16 port nitrous injection.833 4 speed hemi tranny.( built my adaptor ) Rear end is a 8.8 3.73 gears,auburn locker,strange axles etc.. rear wheels are from American Racing."98 mustang bullit gt's. size 18x10.5 with 6" offset.sits perfect inside wheel well.325 x 35 x 18 tires. rear springs are from Steeda Performance.2" lowered with increased spring rate.front is Mustang 2. lowered spindles 2". lowered front springs 2" with 750 lb. progressive spring rate.Crager 14 x 6 negative offset ( will have to measure ) tire size is 185 x 70 low profile.Fenders sit over tires down to the rim.Front breaks are 78 camaro calipers with 11" Granada rotors. Rear brakes are 11" lincoln Versailles rotors with Cadillac Eldorado calipers. Under dash 90* hydroboost with mustang gt master cylinder. Must use the ford mustang gt power steering pump old style pump will not supply sufficient pressure.Exhaust 3" into Hooker stainless mufflers.Use to have front fender zoomies with baffles.The steering is super trick..Don't waste your money paying $600 - $800 for a speedway drop steering box.Build your own for less than $100.
You can build it... all it takes is 98% patience patience and more patience.write a plan down what you want.ask questions and stick to the plan.If I can be of help send me a line.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM

rear end

1956 ford sedan 9" rear 56" some vans also came equiped with a 56 1/2 rear.check out other 8.8 rears first.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

SB Seats

I used buckets from a mid-90's mustang. I don't rememberwhat I paid for them, but it was cheap. I didn't want power, so I had to scrounge for manual adjusters and retrofit them. You still have to use risers in the front.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowraker View Post
I used buckets from a mid-90's mustang. I don't rememberwhat I paid for them, but it was cheap. I didn't want power, so I had to scrounge for manual adjusters and retrofit them. You still have to use risers in the front.
I was told these are Mustang seats, they are electric. If they are, no idea what year. Maybe you guys could verify, or, tell me what they really are........

Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

I had power seats in my GT mustang it was a 96. I will be darn if I can remember what they looked like for sure those look close but not sure.

Bob
Old 02-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

I can't tell, I'd have to see the bottom adjuster. My kit is an older one from 1991 and it called for "late model Mustang", so I am assuming an 80's version is what was intended. I used a set from a 1996 model and they fit perfect.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I did the exact same thing with my fuel tank. Put two aluminum support straps under it in addition to the tabs on the tank. Thought that would be more secure in a rear-end accident.
when you did the work to the tank did you make it sit higher, I bought my car half finished and I think the tank was put in after the body so the tank is about three inches lower, I am removing the tank and have the aluminum supports lowered because the tank will fit in from the bottom instead of down from up top, either wau I am raising the tank so it will give me more room to run the exhaust pipes out the back instead of the side.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane View Post
I had power seats in my GT mustang it was a 96. I will be darn if I can remember what they looked like for sure those look close but not sure.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowraker View Post
I can't tell, I'd have to see the bottom adjuster. My kit is an older one from 1991 and it called for "late model Mustang", so I am assuming an 80's version is what was intended. I used a set from a 1996 model and they fit perfect.
Well, they are comfy whatever they are, which appears to be a 'Stang...... Too bad I wont be able to get back in it for a few more months......

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.