Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
Randy,

You got any pictures of the end result? I saw your pics on page three of the "before" work. I'd like to see the "after" photos please.

Thx,

Jay K.

Jay.. like I said a few post back.. I lost like 4000 pictures when my computer crashed.. But I will give the guy a call and see if he can email them to me.. I'm really good friends now with the guy I sold the car too.. He's in Alabama.. I will see what I can do.. he met with me at the coast last year and was telling me he just finished painting the car.. Said he made a big mistake when he bought it from me.. I said what was that?? He said he wish he would have just given me all the money he had in his bag, And just let me finish it..(that bag was full ) So I shouldn't have any problem getting them pictures..I would also like to have them,, He is a very nice man, Glade I had the chance to become friends with him..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
If you look at a lot of these cars they sit up where the fender does not come down over the tire, on my car I'm using 14" wheels, without going to my shop I can't tell you what size, but right now they have the tire I'm using and a stock rim, my fenders have been widen 2" each and \I'm still going to have to use a rim that is deeper in the wheel well to turn fully. I have tube upper A-arms and stock lower.You can see in the picture mine sit down over the tire.

Bob
I helped my brother build a 33 Vicky SB and we used a 95 MUSTANG rear end 8.8 and a standard after market MUSTANG power rack .The rear end is a 1/2" wider then SB called for BUT they were calling for a 4 1/2 back set on the rims so we used 5 1/2" back set and that looks great and while we were buying rims we got 4" back set in stead of the standard 3 1/2" for the front. The fronts are 14" and the backs are 15". You got some good advise on sealing ever thing you can it helps the heat and noise level down. The reason you see SB fenders up even with the tires is most people don't know what setback on a rim is.Any help I can give just let me know.

OLDROD
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
I helped my brother build a 33 Vicky SB and we used a 95 MUSTANG rear end 8.8 and a standard after market MUSTANG power rack .The rear end is a 1/2" wider then SB called for BUT they were calling for a 4 1/2 back set on the rims so we used 5 1/2" back set and that looks great and while we were buying rims we got 4" back set in stead of the standard 3 1/2" for the front. The fronts are 14" and the backs are 15". You got some good advise on sealing ever thing you can it helps the heat and noise level down. The reason you see SB fenders up even with the tires is most people don't know what setback on a rim is.Any help I can give just let me know.

OLDROD
The mustang rear ends are to wide for these cars.. Yes you can get a wheel to fit, But won't have any dish on the outside.. Everything is to the inside.. And that can't be much either.. Look at the picture I posted that show's the back wheel shot.. It has NO dish at all.. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE !!!! That car has a Mustang rear end in it..To have a dish on the outside, The tire WILL STICK OUT.. And the back will have to be high..
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
Randy,

You got any pictures of the end result? I saw your pics on page three of the "before" work. I'd like to see the "after" photos please.

Thx,

Jay K.
Jay.. I talked to guy that bought my car today about sending them pictures.. He said no problem at all.. May take a few days.. He said he will put it on his rack so he could get a few good ones.. He did say he got to put his foot into it, And that it pined him into the seat, No wheel spin at all.. He did say that the back end is set up as good as it could be.. dead on !!! Very good respond..I will post them as soon As I get them.. Randy
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

rear end width

ok so I like the look of fat meats tucked completely into the fenders. my manual calls for a 59 1/2 inch hub to hub rear axle. i've heard calls to narrow the rear, what width does it take to have the tires in the fender and still allow travel for a decent ride? i saw a 9" rear that is 57" wide but according to ford guys the war stamping on the 3rd member is not that desireable. i'm not building a racer but i do want around 350hp, snappy but not a stump puller. i'm thinking that could be just fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakrick
ok so I like the look of fat meats tucked completely into the fenders. my manual calls for a 59 1/2 inch hub to hub rear axle. i've heard calls to narrow the rear, what width does it take to have the tires in the fender and still allow travel for a decent ride? i saw a 9" rear that is 57" wide but according to ford guys the war stamping on the 3rd member is not that desireable. i'm not building a racer but i do want around 350hp, snappy but not a stump puller. i'm thinking that could be just fine.

When you do a pro street car, You need to cut the back floor out where you can put the tires under the car.. With nothing in the way, Once the tires are in.. take a measurement from face of inside of each wheel.. This is the measurement you will need to work with.. It will also depend on what back spacing you go with.. So no one can give you a width to start with.. Unless they give you ''EVERYTHING'' to work with.. Hope this explains a little for you..
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
When you do a pro street car, You need to cut the back floor out where you can put the tires under the car.. With nothing in the way, Once the tires are in.. take a measurement from face of inside of each wheel.. This is the measurement you will need to work with.. It will also depend on what back spacing you go with.. So no one can give you a width to start with.. Unless they give you ''EVERYTHING'' to work with.. Hope this explains a little for you..
Randy's right if you want pro street type set-up, So before I say anything I guess we had better know what you mean by fat meats, are you looking at pro street type or just tires to fill the wheel well?

Bob
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The mustang rear ends are to wide for these cars.. Yes you can get a wheel to fit, But won't have any dish on the outside.. Everything is to the inside.. And that can't be much either.. Look at the picture I posted that show's the back wheel shot.. It has NO dish at all.. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE !!!! That car has a Mustang rear end in it..To have a dish on the outside, The tire WILL STICK OUT.. And the back will have to be high..

I don't know about the 34 coups but if I did't tell you that we had backspacing on the rims 99 out of a 100 would not know. The only rims I know of with no set back are for front wheel drives as I said 3 1/2" is standard on most rims that I know of.If you are going to run 20" slick or such then yes you will need to tub the rear fenders.Tires to tall WILL cause the tire to rub. been there done that.I am sorry I don't have the meens to post picks on this thing yet but one day I will learn how I hope.

OLDROD
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Here is a very good Example of why you CAN'T lower the car.. This is a picture of the man that had the car before me.. He was setting the car up, Like the Manuel said too.. Hope you can see why now..

Them rims look like they are for a front wheel drive car. How wide was the the rear end from backing plate to backing plate? we looked like that with standard rims(3 1/2" backspacing).As I said not sure if a SB VICKY and a 34 are the same .

OLDROD
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

tire rub

i don't intend slicks or really large width tires, a good ole 60 series is enough for me. want to stay streetable in the rain.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
Them rims look like they are for a front wheel drive car. How wide was the the rear end from backing plate to backing plate? we looked like that with standard rims(3 1/2" backspacing).As I said not sure if a SB VICKY and a 34 are the same .

OLDROD
I really don't remember right off hand, I have done a lot of rear ends since then..
They are front wheel drive as far as I know.. The guy before me that had this car, Owned a junkyard.. He put the mustang rear end in it like they said.. And that was the ''ONLY'' wheels in the whole junkyard that would fit, Well not that good as you can tell, They still rub the fender..Like I said before.. The back spacing has nothing to do with finding one that fits.. (IN A WAY).. You have a little room inside.It's the outside that you don't have room for..This picture say's it all.. Not sure what your not getting..Now I'm not sure if the back of the Vicky is wider are not..(I really don't think it is) Look really good at the picture.. YOU CAN'T PUT A DEEP DISH WHEEL.. If you do the car has to sit up in the air..
Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i don't intend slicks or really large width tires, a good ole 60 series is enough for me. want to stay streetable in the rain.

If you set the back up like I did, You should be able to fit a 60.. But to have a deep dish on the outside, You will need to narrow the rear end..
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
IF you can get or have a FORD 9" 57" rear end from backing plate to plate w/disk brakes I would think a standard set of rims would work at lest in back . Don't buy any rims until you mount a tire and see where they set. A after market MUSTANG 11 WILL WORK in front. IF the tire sets out to far THEN get one from a buddy that has say a 4" back space see what it looks like. But be advised most will not know what of set they have so try to find some one that did the build and not bought the car. OH you can expect to see lot of blank looks and the comment thats the way it looked when I got it and it looks fine so I left it along.good luck

OLDROD

PS.THIS JUST NOT JUST FOR SB EITHER.

Last edited by 39 OLDROD; 01-07-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
If you set the back up like I did, You should be able to fit a 60.. But to have a deep dish on the outside, You will need to narrow the rear end..
Randy's right look at this picture here I have somewhat of a deep dish wheel, these are not the wheels and tires I'm going to be using but it will give you an idea. I have a Jag rearend in mine, I'm not sure but I think it is 57", I will have to put it on the hoist to be sure. I'm going to use bigger tires and rims with a little less dish so I can get the tire over just a little bit. With a Mustang rear I couldn't do this without cutting it.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear end 1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	51424  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Came across another picture of my '34 CMC Coupe on my PC showing a little bit more detail as to how my American Mags and BFG 60 Series tires fit in the wheel wells. As you should be able to see the front 205/60/14" tires sit nicely inside the front wheel wells and do not rub when turning. In the back it would of been nice if I had another 1/2" of wheel well on each side but still my American Mags and 225/60/15" tires fit pretty darn well I feel being I used what was recommended by CMC at the time and that was a 9" Ford Rear out of a late model Mustang. As mentioned before I purchased one out of a 1989 Mustang LX in '92 with 30k miles on it out of a wreck. I did check back spacing and ordered my wheels accordingly from American Racing. This picture is without any air bags installed as I put them in later. I have to go over a pretty big bump to get a slight rub on the rear tires without the air bags. This is where a little more wheel well at maybe 1/2" from CMC would of done me some good. I don't have the deepest dish wheels as some would want I guess but it looks better then some wheels I have seen put on some of these SB,CMC,Fiberfab '34 Coupes that were built according to the manual like my car was. My 225/60/15" rear tires are really as wide as I would want them on my car as it looks good to me from the back. I did what I could based on what I had at the time during the early 90's. Don't have any desire to make any changes now in 2011.

Last edited by poncho62; 01-10-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Other.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.