Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
Came across another picture of my '34 CMC Coupe on my PC showing a little bit more detail as to how my American Mags and BFG 60 Series tires fit in the wheel wells. As you should be able to see the front 205/60/14" tires sit nicely inside the front wheel wells and do not rub when turning. In the back it would of been nice if I had another 1/2" of wheel well on each side but still my American Mags and 225/60/15" tires fit pretty darn well I feel being I used what was recommended by CMC at the time and that was a 9" Ford Rear out of a late model Mustang. As mentioned before I purchased one out of a 1989 Mustang LX in '92 with 30k miles on it out of a wreck. I did check back spacing and ordered my wheels accordingly from American Racing. This picture is without any air bags installed as I put them in later. I have to go over a pretty big bump to get a slight rub on the rear tires without the air bags. This is where a little more wheel well at maybe 1/2" from CMC would of done me some good. I don't have the deepest dish wheels as some would want I guess but it looks better then some wheels I have seen put on some of these SB,CMC,Fiberfab '34 Coupes that were built according to the manual like my car was. My 225/60/15" rear tires are really as wide as I would want them on my car as it looks good to me from the back. I did what I could based on what I had at the time during the early 90's. Don't have any desire to make any changes now in 2011.

Very nice car.. But it still show's what we are trying to fix here.. You still get tire rub.. If you take that same picture from the front looking down the side of the car.. You will see they are both sticking a little to far out.. I can see that in this picture.. Again.. I'm Not posting on this thread to put down any ones car.. Not even street beast.. I'm only pointing out a problem with these cars.. I feel like the bad guy here.. We have 70,000 member's here, And this thread is to point it out and help someone fix their car..So far we only have a few here willing to say something.. And I feel like I'm right in the middle of this.. I don't mine helping.. But I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling's.. And I do think your car is one of the nicest one I have ever seen.. But them tires should be in more.. I'm not telling you this to change it.. But for others here that want to..If your happy with it that way.. I'm happy too..

Advertisement

Last edited by poncho62; 01-10-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

I am fine with my car the way it came out according to the Manual that was given me by CMC. I am not a car builder but have been in the Automotive Parts Business now in my 33rd year with plenty of automotive knowledge I gained over the years. I still have plenty of Collector cars that I own and have worked on over the years I have been into cars. Trust me the tires do not rub in the front of my car. In the picture the Drivers side tire is turned to the left a little. They are not sticking out of the wheel wells. Go back to the other pictures I posted here in this thread and you will see the front tires do not stick out. The back tires stick out very little and as I mentioned if the rear fenders came out another 1/2" there would be no problem with rubbing I believe and I am not about to do fiberglass work to correct this now so instead put air bags in the rear springs to help with my situation when having 2 heavy passengers in this car. Again remember my car has a stock Mustang 9" rear end installed from a '89 Mustang LX under it as CMC recommended according to the manual. I don't really need the air bags but again a bad bump would do a little rubbing even with just myself in the car at 250lbs. Sure there are ways to make this better from what we are reading here but many out there are having a hard time just trying to put together a stock ride or one by the SB or CMC manual for the amount of skills they have to begin with. You know it and I know it this car is not a easy build for most people. As I have said in the past in other sections of this forum the Average Joe can not build this car. Sure there are many easy things to do in the build but there are things that require some knowledge in order to do them. First of all you need to own a welder and know how to operate one. Some body shop skills will surely come in handy or learn as you go. As many have read someone on this forum is looking for a fiberglass person. Now why is that I don't know? With some body shop skills anyone should be able to do the fiberglassing that is needed to build this car. A good fiberglass kit will basically tell you what you need to do to lay fiberglass. Trust me I never had a body shop course before but as mentioned I played around with cars for many years and have done some body work and prepped some of my cars and trucks for painting. These are skills you can learn on your own.

I do feel it is good thing to show how to correct some things on this car before one gets to them but I don't think any of us want to scare anyone away from finishing their build or the build of a car they picked up from someone else out there that could not finish their car. I just wanted to show what you can get out of your car by just folowing the manual as is. My pictures of my '34 CMC show that. Maybe some will want to do a few things later on to their cars once they are built. Its up to them but you can play around plenty and continue to look at your car unfinished in your garage for years or you can be out there driving it and enjoying it the way I see it. I guess its what ever you are happy with is what it comes down to. I am completely happy with the way my car came out and as I said I have no intentions of changing a thing right now after all these years. To me it looks good and to many, many others who have seen my car up close over the years. Plenty have wanted to take it off of my hands. No lie. Now its all up to you the fellows with the cars that are unfinished. I say go for it and finish that car already. You have enough members here that could help you and from what I have seen there are plenty of You Tube Video's out there on the build of this car. Wish there was this much help back in the 90's when I was building my car. Back in '92 before home computers and the internet all I had was the CMC manual and that was about it and we all know how confusing that manual can be to someone who never built one of these cars before. I think I did ok.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

Well All I can Say about what I did to mine, Is a 16 year old boy can make them changes.. Now again, No one on here has to do it the way I did.. I really don't care..I'm not telling YOU to make them changes.. Just pointing out how I did mine.. Before all this mess with Jon.. Back when I had My car and was making the changes.. I got beat up pretty good here. For even having a street beast.. As for the changes I made.. I was called more then once, From street beast for the pictures of what I did to mine.. I knew what they wanted with them.. But sent them anyway.. If it will help make their car better, I'm for it..So something I did.. caught someone's eye.. Again.. What I did,, You don't need that much skill's to do.. NO AIR BAG'S NEEDED, NO TIRES STICKING OUT, AND NO TIRE RUB..(AT ALL)..You seem to get very touchy about anyone here talking about these cars, As I remember a few threads back.. A lot of people will defend their cars.. But if there's a problem with one, And I know about it.. I WILL POST IT.. I hope you can start to see this thread for what it is here for.. And If what I'm posting here keep's hurting someone, I will stop posting..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 01-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Just subscribing - and hope it doesn't turn into a "I hate S.B. thread"

Dave W
Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

Dave W

I never said I hated street beast..I just owned one.. Didn't mean for it to look that way.. That's all I needed to hear..

Jay.. I will send you the pictures when I get them..
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

Dave W
Not going to Dave....That's the whole point of this separate thread.....To keep the BS out of the SB builds....

Budget RVs
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Well All I can Say about what I did to mine, Is a 16 year old boy can make them changes.. Now again, No one on here has to do it the way I did.. I really don't care..I'm not telling YOU to make them changes.. Just pointing out how I did mine.. Before all this mess with Jon.. Back when I had My car and was making the changes.. I got beat up pretty good here. For even having a street beast.. As for the changes I made.. I was called more then once, From street beast for the pictures of what I did to mine.. I knew what they wanted with them.. But sent them anyway.. If it will help make their car better, I'm for it..So something I did.. caught someone's eye.. Again.. What I did,, You don't need that much skill's to do.. NO AIR BAG'S NEEDED, NO TIRES STICKING OUT, AND NO TIRE RUB..(AT ALL)..You seem to get very touchy about anyone here talking about these cars, As I remember a few threads back.. A lot of people will defend their cars.. But if there's a problem with one, And I know about it.. I WILL POST IT.. I hope you can start to see this thread for what it is here for.. And If what I'm posting here keep's hurting someone, I will stop posting..
You are not hurting me in the least here. I made that quite clear many posts back in this thread. This will not turn into fight here between the two of us. I just hope you are not taking offense here yourself to already threaten to stop posting.

Trust me I do see what this thread is here for but again I don't feel any of us want to scare members away that want to finish their car. Its not that I am trying to defend my car. I just wanted to point out once again that I built my car by the manual provided to me by CMC and most can see how it turned out just by looking at the pictures. Some have been telling the members here that you can't use a stock 9" Ford Rear End. I am showing my car that used that 9" Ford Rear End as recommended by CMC. It does work in the '34 CMC or SB car. As I said we don't want to scare people away just offer some help in the areas they need help in. If they like what they see in my car then build it by the Manual that came with your kit. If you want to make changes to the areas member (New Interiors) pointed out before it is done listen to what member (New Interiors) is telling you to do. It all comes down to what you are looking for but again this car can be built according to what the manual tells you to do and with parts it recommends you use to build your car. My car is proof of that. One other thing I believe as in my case with a little body work to the rear fenders to bring them out some by someone who knows what they are doing there would be no need to cut down the rear end as suggested if one wanted to have that done instead. It all comes down to each his own here. Just build the car and do what you feel is best for you.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 01-08-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I never said I hated street beast..I just owned one.. Didn't mean for it to look that way..
Nope - not what I meant. It's just that passion runs (REALLY!!) high when S.B. is mentioned and I really want to see folks build nice versions!! So far looks good - and I KNOW Poncho will keep his experiment under control

Dave W
Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

just pointing it out.. an '89 Mustang did not come with a 9" Ford. it would have a 7.5" or an 8.8" depending on 4cyl or V8.. if it's got a 9", than it wasn't stock in the Stang to begin with
Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

FFAS and NI,

Both of you have done a great job of explaining your positions. Everyone go back to your corner and come out swinging!

Just kiddin' guys, I'm enjoying the exchange from all of you, (Yes Bob, you too! ) and learning plenty.

Regarding our fiberglass issue, we simply don't want to do it.

Yeah, I'll take my lumps for that, but I'll more than make up for it once we get goin' on the electrical work.

Cheers all, (and great jobs too!)

Jay K.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

street beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
You are not hurting me in the least here. I made that quite clear many posts back in this thread. This will not turn into fight here between the two of us. I just hope you are not taking offense here yourself to already threaten to stop posting.

Trust me I do see what this thread is here for but again I don't feel any of us want to scare members away that want to finish their car. Its not that I am trying to defend my car. I just wanted to point out once again that I built my car by the manual provided to me by CMC and most can see how it turned out just by looking at the pictures. Some have been telling the members here that you can't use a stock 9" Ford Rear End. I am showing my car that used that 9" Ford Rear End as recommended by CMC. It does work in the '34 CMC or SB car. As I said we don't want to scare people away just offer some help in the areas they need help in. If they like what they see in my car then build it by the Manual that came with your kit. If you want to make changes to the areas member (New Interiors) pointed out before it is done listen to what member (New Interiors) is telling you to do. It all comes down to what you are looking for but again this car can be built according to what the manual tells you to do and with parts it recommends you use to build your car. My car is proof of that. One other thing I believe as in my case with a little body work to the rear fenders to bring them out some by someone who knows what they are doing there would be no need to cut down the rear end as suggested if one wanted to have that done instead. It all comes down to each his own here. Just build the car and do what you feel is best for you.
I said this before, but I will repeat it,We don't care how you want to have your car look. With that said, When I got my car, they had nothing but a body at the show, Looking at the body it didn't look bad, I had a bodyshop owner with me, that had a one man shop, him he had done a lot of glass work, he thought the body we were looking at looked good so I bought one,only because I wanted to try a fiberglass car. I was building a 40 Ford at the time, so when the crate with the CMC kit came in, it sat in the crate in the corner for a long time. Building cars was not my full time job and the 40 was 25miles away, so I did not work on it everyday.
I went to a NSRA show, in the spring in TN., and there was quite a few of these CMC cars there, everyone, and I mean everyone sat up like yours, that's fine if you like them that way, but I prefer the front fenders down over the tires, the lip down to the rim is great, if you look at just about every 30s car built, they have the lip of the fender down over the tire for the dropped look, many hot rodders like the full fender-ed cars low, many like the non-fender-ed car either high or low, thus the high boy or low boy.
One of the thing about this thread was there are people that have kits that they got, thinking they could get to drop their cars down some, many have seen Randy's Car,I'm sure, many have seen mine in the shop being built, one of the most asked questions is, how did you get your car so low, when most of the kits we see are high. Now I'm sure there are people out there like I said that have these and want to get them down in the weeds more, but are not sure how to do it.
I do not think anybody would say they don't sit high, some are happy with that. I'm also sure CMC/SB could have sold more cars if they would have changed that and the grille insert, and maybe screwed less people. I think I can speak for Randy, when I say, we don't care how your car looks, ffas23 yours looks good, but it's not my cup of tea the way it sits, the inserts looks very good. We won't say if cars look good or bad, we are just here to suggest or give advice when asked. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bob
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

This is for any one building a car glass, SB or ANY kind or what ever. there is more the one way to skin a cat just as there is more then one with of front and rear ends so the cheap way to find out what fits is borrow a set of tires and rim or buy a set from the bone yard.Not the good ones ! just some thing to fit the body over. One more thing this WILL save you the trouble of re centering the body on the chassis. This before you go and spend the big bucks on the rims of your dreams. Then IF back spacing is needed you will know. Most parts houses have old books with the size of different rears and racks so look and see what model fits your needs. OH a good tape is a must!Do your research and have fun. You WILL buy some thing you can't use any way. Good luck and have fun and after the cuts heal and the car is setting in the local cruise in you can say I BUILT it.

OLDROD
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
just pointing it out.. an '89 Mustang did not come with a 9" Ford. it would have a 7.5" or an 8.8" depending on 4cyl or V8.. if it's got a 9", than it wasn't stock in the Stang to begin with
Matt the rear end came out of a '89 Mustang LX w/V8. I remember especially being the car was like brand new with only 30k on the odometer but of course totaled. I also purchased the mastercylinder/powerbooster assembly from the same car and used it in my '34. I was told that it was a 9" rear from the owner of the junkyard and believed him being I wasn't familiar with Fords.19 years have passed since I started building my car back in 1992. I guess I am wrong here and it must be a 8.8" as you say. I never really checked it out and never owned any Ford product up to that time. I just went to the junkyard and saw the '89 Mustang sitting there and wanted the rear out of it. I apologize for being wrong here about the rear end size in my car but it is the rear end that CMC recommended which was out of a late Mustang at the time of my build.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

An 8.8 has a rear cover,,,,,,a 9" is the pot style where the whole gear pot bolts in from the front.

9"......

Budget RVs

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.