Street Beast builds......Tips, problems and solutions. - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Street beast builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedoctor
Hi,

I really like your grill shell. You must have built it yourself?

Your body appears to be an older model? I can see some differences. Are you going to use the side cowls? A friend of mine is a fiberglass expert. He helped me out with a few things. Just small bits of advise, but it sure helped me, because I really hate working with fiberglass.

Tried to keep things as clean as I could, but it seemed that I was always cutting or grinding something.

I had always heard of guys talking about a "flat" dash. Never really knew what they were talking about, until I started to do the dash on this thing. It is not even close to being flat!! Should have cut it apart, and made it flat!! Not so much of a big deal if you are mounting individual gauges. But try it with a big flat insert.

when I figure out how, I will start an album. I tried to take pictures as I went along.
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne, Very nice looking car. I have all the bling on my engine also, 5.0 HO. Mustang engine EFI, everything shiney, I will be using my side panels, I also have different inner fenders that look better. Mine is a diolder body, I don't have as big of tunnel or bell housing cover so I cut mine out and made one from SS that I had laying around, I have a AOD tranny which would not fit without cutting hump out. Then I'm running a jag rearend, all chrome, upper and lower control arms chrome also.
The grille is made by Valley, I also widen my front fenders 2" and some of the running boards, I mounted my body a little different as I lowered the whole body down in the front, plus I have 2" dropped spindles, Mustang road racing springs which lower it another 2", but have the same compression rate as a stock spring.

My inner headliner went right in but I fiber glassed mine in place. I put insulation in between, then I also built an overhead consul for my box for the Dakota Digital Box for my gauges, And I will put the control head for my sound system up there.

My body is made so I can take it off the frame if needed, Right now I am making some panels for the trunk and wiring it. The tail lights are flush with the back fenders and will be painted over so you will only see them when you hit the brakes or when the lights are on, third brake light the same.

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: 34 Street Beast
Last photo:

Street Beast builds

Hi Bob,
Our cars sound very similar in build. They must have really changed some designs, as I did not have any problems with the floor board/tranny tunnel. I used Carera coil overs in front, so I adjusted the front end so it was down pretty far. for the rear end, it is fox body 8.8", 3:90 gears, 31 spline Moser axles. I found some solid upper control rod joints. they replaced the urethane ones. It is a captive heim joint, and allowed the car to squat down in the rear quite a bit. I was worried about getting the front too low, and turning into a plow. were the early bodies narrower than the later ones? I also put in an overhead console. But I mounted it towards the rear of the head liner, with the radio facing forward. I insulated with Fat Mat. You did a lot more work than I did, you must like fiberglass work? LOL

What did you do with your windows?

I kind of screwed up with the front fenders. the two pieces that go from the fender flange to the frame, won't work now. I hid a bunch of plumbing behind their mounting location. so, I get to make up some custom closures for it. Without it, dirt would ruin the engine compartment. Seems like everything I change, cost me a couple of months work. Put way too much stuff inside the doors. I am going to build some polished stainless frames for the hinge holes on the door jambs. They look like crap now.

I have an outfit lined up to do the interior. It's getting to the point where a bunch of money has to happen!! And then, the end!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

street beast builds

Quote:
Hi Bob,
Our cars sound very similar in build. They must have really changed some designs, as I did not have any problems with the floor board/tranny tunnel. I used Carera coil overs in front, so I adjusted the front end so it was down pretty far. for the rear end, it is fox body 8.8", 3:90 gears, 31 spline Moser axles. I found some solid upper control rod joints. they replaced the urethane ones. It is a captive heim joint, and allowed the car to squat down in the rear quite a bit. I was worried about getting the front too low, and turning into a plow. were the early bodies narrower than the later ones? I also put in an overhead console. But I mounted it towards the rear of the head liner, with the radio facing forward. I insulated with Fat Mat. You did a lot more work than I did, you must like fiberglass work? LOL

What did you do with your windows?

I kind of screwed up with the front fenders. the two pieces that go from the fender flange to the frame, won't work now. I hid a bunch of plumbing behind their mounting location. so, I get to make up some custom closures for it. Without it, dirt would ruin the engine compartment. Seems like everything I change, cost me a couple of months work. Put way too much stuff inside the doors. I am going to build some polished stainless frames for the hinge holes on the door jambs. They look like crap now.

I have an outfit lined up to do the interior. It's getting to the point where a bunch of money has to happen!! And then, the end!
I don't know if the early ones are not as wide or not, I know the crossmember was too wide, that you couldn't get the fenders over the tire, that's why I made mine wider. I made them wider then notice the two fenders were not the same, nothing I didm it was the mold. I cut both front fenders off and but two that had already been widened, just cut them off were the fender and the running board were the same. That wasn't all of it, the back fender on the drivers side, flared out 1", so I had to make cuts in both the fender and running board to push them back and not have pressure.
In front of the passenger door it sunk in 3/4" so I had to build that up with glass.

As you said the way the window openings were the wind noise would be loud. What I did I took some steel channel that woud hold the window channel. I started at the bottom brought it up bent it around at the corners across the top around the corner and down, I made little pie cuts to go around the corners. Then I weld little strips of metal onto the channel where it went around the window opening, I put them on both sides, inside and out. Then I took and ground down into the glass the thickness of the strips of steel.
Now you must know, and if you don't you will have trouble down the line if you did it. But you can't but metal between fiberglass< the metal will work it's way loose. I use some stuff they use on vettes, It's a two part epoxy, it will spark when you grind it. Well that's what I put my channels for my windows in with, then cat whiskers along the bottom of the window. I also put a metal gas door in with the same stuff. You can see in picture.

I put the Jag in mine so I cut all they had in there out. I also had to add a crossmember to hang the Jag. I also re-welded the frame added some support and gussets, rounded all the welds and bondoed them to finish.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas door 33.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	53691   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail  lights 1 33.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	53692  
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

I actually went to the junk yard and purchased a rear end and M/C w/booster that came right out of a 1989 Mustang LX. This was back in 1992 and the '89 Mustang LX was only 3 years old wrecked with 30k miles on the clock. Still like new to me. Other parts I purchased was a Tilt steering column from a 80's Camaro that I used in my build. I also purchased a front clip from a 70's Mustang II and rebuilt the upper and lower A-Frames after sandblasting them and repainting them using new bushings and new ball joints. I didn't even think of buying the brand new tubular A-Frame arms back then to build my car. Forgot to mention I also bought a set of seats out of a "89 Mustang LX. Not the same LX as mentioned above. The only other used pieces that I purchased was 2 used driveshafts from a Mustang and Camaro. I then brought it to a place who built a brand new drive shaft for me using the GM front section of the used drive shaft to fit my GM Trans and the Ford rear section of the used drive shaft to fit the Ford Mustang LX rear end. I also ended up using a rebuilt beefed up Chevy 350 Turbo Transmission that I bartered for to a Transmission Repair Shop that I sell to. I also picked up a gas pedal from a Mustang II that was like brand new and a parking brake for the floor also like new from a Mustang II. Got them for nothing. That was basically it everything else was purchased brand new from that point on. I purchased one of the ZZ4 Series Chevy Motors brand new sitting in a crate that someone was going to use in another car a '68 Nova who ran out of money at the time. Picked it up for $2100 as I said still in the crate. That I felt was a deal. We all know what they are going for today.

Don't know if you meant me or someone else when speaking about the grill shell. As far as my grill is concerned it is actually the Factory CMC Grill Shell but not the Factory CMC Grill. That was another part that was not shipped out to me from CMC when they shorted me many parts. Didn't matter to me being I never liked the CMC Grill anyway. I had the grill I am using specially made to the look I wanted for my car to fit my CMC grill shell.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

Street Beast builds

Hi,
ffas22, I was referring to the grill shell you have, real nice looking. It would seem that when you guys got your kits, used parts were easy to come by. Not so anymore. I got tired of looking for stuff, and got mostly new stuff. the rear end is the only thing I got used. Just seemed better to spend my time putting it together than looking for parts.

35terraplane, you are going to have a real nice ride!! It sure sounds like your car was a mess when you got it. I was pretty lucky I guess, mine is straight and uniform. the thing you had to deal with , would kill the project for most people.

The wife and I went to the Portland Roadster Show this afternoon. superior glass works had a car there, and it looked great. It was kind of a mix between a vette, Cadillac, and station wagon. their glass work is real nice. Things fit so good, there was no work left to do. Seems like the 33 and 34 are making a comeback on the hot rod circuit. There were a lot of 41 Willey's cars and trucks there. Must be an unwritten law, they all have to run a hemi!! LOL

I have started a project journal. It isn't much. A few pics here and there.
Wayne
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

Street Beast builds

Quote:
Hi,
ffas22, I was referring to the grill shell you have, real nice looking. It would seem that when you guys got your kits, used parts were easy to come by. Not so anymore. I got tired of looking for stuff, and got mostly new stuff. the rear end is the only thing I got used. Just seemed better to spend my time putting it together than looking for parts.

35terraplane, you are going to have a real nice ride!! It sure sounds like your car was a mess when you got it. I was pretty lucky I guess, mine is straight and uniform. the thing you had to deal with , would kill the project for most people.

The wife and I went to the Portland Roadster Show this afternoon. superior glass works had a car there, and it looked great. It was kind of a mix between a vette, Cadillac, and station wagon. their glass work is real nice. Things fit so good, there was no work left to do. Seems like the 33 and 34 are making a comeback on the hot rod circuit. There were a lot of 41 Willey's cars and trucks there. Must be an unwritten law, they all have to run a hemi!! LOL

I have started a project journal. It isn't much. A few pics here and there.
Wayne
Wayne, I didn't use many parts from the yard, Rearend of course, but I had that chromed, I have a 87 turbo coupe T-bird column in it but I might change it to a IDiDiT one, That was about it.

Oh I think it was my grille you were looking at. I didn't like the SB at all, IMO one of the worse looking insert on the planet, missing one bar on each side.
I think the valley grille looks a lot better.

Bob
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

Street Beast builds

Bob,
did you use the piece that goes under the dash? I used it, but had to do extensive work to make it fit. took me a few weeks to get it right, or at least look alright. The fuse panel is mounted upside down, and gets accessed through a door. I found some blade fuses that light up when they blow, so I can see what is happening without standing on my head.

I have two pieces left to fiberglass. these would be the small closure pieces at the rocker panel openings by the firewall. Can't see leaving them open, just let dirt in, and noise. Did you take your plumbing in under the firewall?

You are right about the looks of the grill. the first one they sent me, was total junk, so I sent it back. The one I have is at least straight. I made it so the grill is easy to remove. I think I am going to build one, after I get it running. If I keep changing stuff, it will never get done.

What is up with your trunk? Did you re-work it to be flat? And the gas filler is outside on the fender? Never saw one like that.

Wayne
Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 AM

Last photo:

Street Beast Builds

Quote:
Bob,
did you use the piece that goes under the dash? I used it, but had to do extensive work to make it fit. took me a few weeks to get it right, or at least look alright. The fuse panel is mounted upside down, and gets accessed through a door. I found some blade fuses that light up when they blow, so I can see what is happening without standing on my head.

I have two pieces left to fiberglass. these would be the small closure pieces at the rocker panel openings by the firewall. Can't see leaving them open, just let dirt in, and noise. Did you take your plumbing in under the firewall?

You are right about the looks of the grill. the first one they sent me, was total junk, so I sent it back. The one I have is at least straight. I made it so the grill is easy to remove. I think I am going to build one, after I get it running. If I keep changing stuff, it will never get done.

What is up with your trunk? Did you re-work it to be flat? And the gas filler is outside on the fender? Never saw one like that.

Wayne
Wayne, I never had anything for under the dash, I will have to make something, or leave it open we will see how it looks. As far as my fuse panel I have it in the trunk. and the control for my Dakota Digital Dash is in the overhead.

You might want to look at some of the grilles or just inserts that are made for other glass cars. When I got mine it was about $850.00, now I think they are around $2200.00, but not sure.
I change as I go along too, got enough parts for another car.
My trunk floor has always been flat, as far as the filler tube up on the top, I don't have the tank that came with it. A good friend of mine is Tank's who owns the CO. called "Tanks" that make them for streetrods. He came over and measured up my car for one, built a SS tank and I had it polished up. Then I had him build it with the filler tube going up to where it does. I didn't like it where it was suppose to be, I didn't want it inside the trunk, so I put that metal door in out of a RX-7 I think it was. Works good, He made me a 18 Gal. tank. The one that came with the car wouldn't work, with my Jag rearend any how.

I have room between the back panel of the pass. compartment and trunk to put a wall and mount things and on each side of the trunk.

Bob
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Street Beast Builds

This thread is for people who have a street beast they are trying to build, or want to help someone.

It is not for bashing the owners of the company, or the car, put that on another thread.

Bob
Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
This thread is for people who have a street beast they are trying to build, or want to help someone.

It is not for bashing the owners of the company, or the car, put that on another thread.

Bob
Who are you referring to? I don't see any bashing thread here.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffas23
Who are you referring to? I don't see any bashing thread here.
I'm not bashing anyone, the thread went off the board and I was asked to bring it back. I was just letting people know what the thread was about, and what it isn't about. Go back to the first post, it says the same.

Bob
Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Here's how I bump threads back up the board.........

Back to our usually scheduled program.......
Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

streetbeast builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Here's how I bump threads back up the board.........

Back to our usually scheduled program.......

I think if I was her , I would be doing more than dirty looks.

Bob
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Another bump.....and a question for you experts

Is this a Streetbeast?....Its for sale in Widsor Ontario for 13 grand.....

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ278593981#
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2830a2n_20.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	54847   Click image for larger version

Name:	7143chj_20.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	54848  
Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

streetbeast builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Another bump.....and a question for you experts

Is this a Streetbeast?....Its for sale in Widsor Ontario for 13 grand.....

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ278593981#

Looking at the grille insert I would say yes, they are missing a bar from each side. Also it looks like the fenders and running board is one. I would say yes.

Also the firewall looks like street beast. the first ones looked more like a real 34 with a step in it this one sticks out from the top and goes down.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33ford 1989_1.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	911.4 KB
ID:	54849  

Last edited by 35terraplane; 04-29-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.