Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Street Beasts '34 build starts
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

streetbeast 34 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
Thanks Randy,

I spoke to him already. Very nice guy and a Heckofa nice car. He wanted around $13K+ for it, which was more fair. It's just alot more than we can afford at this time. Dad is going to call down to SB tomorrow to see if anyone answers the phone, at all. It'd be great if we could buy just another shell. I visited a new bodyshop right outside of Chicago in Niles yesterday as well as spoke to another gentleman who was South of the city in Crestwood, IL. It seems that we have serious 'glass issues that would involve cutting, removing and reforming a new section that would require a new mold for all of the damaged fiberglass. That kind of requirement is clearly beyond my father's and my collective abilities at this time. The talent required for fiberglass is rapidly becoming a dying art as Corvettes are now fabbed out of Plastic and not fiberglass anymore. I didn't know that!

Hey Randy,

If you ever feel like making a road trip up North, holler at this Yankee that you're coming and we'll figure it out!

Thank you all again,

Jay K.
Jay

I really don't think it's as bad as it looks it would be better if you had all the burnt stuff out of there then you would know for sure if you need molds or not, but when I was doing my body I was Just cutting and re-fiber glassing, I never had mold one. If you can get a good size roll of glass about 18" wide and the resin, some fiberboard that you can bend, and lots of wax paper, you can make a mold out of the thin fiberboard put the wax paper on it so the glass doesn't stick to the board and you start . You only need that if you have to take all the glass out, or if there are big holes. You need a fiberglass roller also as you need to roll all the bubbles out of it.
but first get rid of all the burnt glass before you spend any money on a body you don't need. You can get the other stuff later. When you take the gel coat off, do it with a sandpaper that will rough the surface up enough so it will hold bondo.

Later 35terraplane