Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Projects/Builds/My Ride (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/projects-builds-my-ride/)
-   -   Street Beasts '34 build starts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/street-beasts-34-build-starts-141968.html)

JGK95 07-14-2008 10:50 AM

Street Beasts '34 build starts

So we finally hacked down the majority of Sherwood Forest to get at the fiberglass shell of the '34 Ford-like body that was delivered to our garage and begun with the lug nuts that I scored off of a Ford Taurus. I thought I scored big time when i was at the local junkyard and scored four rollers (wheels/tires) with a fist full of lug nuts for $50 bux. When I finally tried to use the lug nuts, they were both metric and too small. It didn't make sense, how was this possible? This was after all, from a FORD Taurus?

It wasn't until we tried to mount the wheels to the IFS that we were about a 1/4th of an inch off of the wheel pattern and that the center hole was larger than the center of the wheels from a '97 Ford Taurus. These rotors have ball bearing caps at the end of them and I was caught off guard.

However, to have both the incorrect rollers and lug nuts was very frustrating and almost inconceivable.

So the current plan is to call the yard and see if we can work out a swap with them for some Ford Mustang rollers. I'm very doubtfull we'll make any headway with them, but I'll try.

Jay K.

matt167 07-14-2008 11:27 AM

The FWD Fords use a Metric bolt pattern, and metric lug nuts.. you need the wheels from a RWD Ford car, providing that your suspension is Ford 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern.. it might be Chevy

JGK95 07-14-2008 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info, didn't know that! The wheels that we need must meet the measurements for the bolt pattern of 4.5" and the center is 2.75".

NEW INTERIORS 07-14-2008 12:59 PM

Great to see your on your way now Jay...... :thumbup: Can't wait to see some pics. :thumbup:

speedydeedy 07-14-2008 01:08 PM

That is the Ford pattern but as stated they must come from a rear wheel drive Ford.Glad you got started,Good luck. :thumbup:

Deuce 07-14-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGK95
However, to have both the incorrect rollers and lug nuts was very frustrating and almost inconceivable.

:D

Isn't building a car FUN ???
If that is the biggest and most expensive mistake you have ... you will be very LUCKY.

Deuce 07-14-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info, didn't know that! The wheels that we need must meet the measurements for the bolt pattern of 4.5" and the center is 2.75".

The thread size should be 1/2 20 ...

JGK95 07-14-2008 03:39 PM

LOL!

Thanks Deuce. We at least did manage to get the correct lug nuts and yes the size you mentioned is the size we purchased.

Now, I'm off to find a set of inexpensive rollers. Anybody in / around CHI-Town?

heyjude076 07-15-2008 05:31 AM

Pictures and a journal please. I am very anxious to follow this build.

speedydeedy 07-15-2008 06:12 AM

Yes,What he said. :thumbup:

JGK95 08-04-2008 08:01 AM

Well, an update. :D

Over the last several weeks I've managed to hunt down some 'Stang wheels and tires. One of the frustrations that I endured was that one of the four hubs (the front hub passenger side) didn't have all of it's bolts mounted to a perfect 90 degrees. This caused a problem as the wheel and tire couldn't mount the hub due to the bolts being out of alignment. The solution was to ground out the aluminum wheel with a dremel and then mount the wheel tight so as to properly reset the bolts and mount the tire. So we (my Dad and I) finally got all four tires mounted on the car and then began to continue hacking and smashing the rest of the crate wood so that the car could finally sit on all four tires. Guys, I gotta tell you, these guys are no joke when it comes to packaging up a car!

All in all, alls well. Now we need a storage for the fiberglass shell so that we can continue working on the frame and getting the engine mounted.

Another sidenote. I am very impressed with the welds on the car. Very Clean.

Jay K.

ps. PM'd Jon but no help. So this thread will act as my journal.

matt167 08-04-2008 09:01 AM

post up a pic of that hub with the messed up studs.. it sounds like you may have an issue there.. grinding a wheel to fit is not the answer.

JGK95 08-04-2008 09:33 AM

Thank you Matt, but the wheel is already mounted and on the ground. When the fiberglass shell is stored, I'll have more work room available to take a picture. There wasn't any real obvious signs of the bolt being out of alignment. Of the five bolts, it appeared that two were about 1/32nd out of alignment and safely tapping the lugnut to realign the bolt didn't initially work out. I'll definitely post pics when the opportunity presents itself.

Henry Highrise 08-04-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Thank you Matt, but the wheel is already mounted and on the ground. When the fiberglass shell is stored, I'll have more work room available to take a picture. There wasn't any real obvious signs of the bolt being out of alignment. Of the five bolts, it appeared that two were about 1/32nd out of alignment and safely tapping the lugnut to realign the bolt didn't initially work out. I'll definitely post pics when the opportunity presents itself.

With the tire and wheel on it...you need to take a dial indicator and check to see how true it is going to turn. Personally....I would have sent that hub back and let them eat it....if its off bad on trueness it could wear tires out prematurely, it could cause a vibration, and it could be unsafe. Something to think about. Now you have a screwed up hub and a screwed up wheel IMHO.

JGK95 08-04-2008 09:58 AM

We cranked the heck outta the lugnuts and lugs. I think we brought those lugs into true by cranking them down with the lugnuts and hopefully have pulled the lugs straight. Once outside of the garage with the shell put in storage (hopefully this coming weekend) we'll atttempt to swap wheels with another to confirm that we are now true.

Henry, Thank you for the tip.

Jay K.

ps. The wheels are rollers so I don't really care if we grind 'em. Heck, I didn't even have them balanced!