Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Street Race Archives
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 05:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Al long time ago I ran an 82 camaro on the street with a very mild 400 smallblock{actually a low mileage junkyard shortblock with a top end bolted on it and some nitrous},and it was dressed to look like a stock berlinetta with a 305,and even had a stock 9 bolt rear with 3.27 gears.The car ran 12.80's on motor and 12.0's on a 125 shot.A freind of mine who I raced with had a daily driver 82 camaro with a 2.8 and a stick,and we had both made fistfulls of cash with my car at the street races.One night we ran a $20 race for *****s and giggles,and I spotted him out 150 feet before the finish line,and I was to leave off of his brake lights{I had to run the entire 1/4 to his 150 feet!},I had to run raw horsepower.I opened my hatch and he turned the bottle off and we set up the cars.I turned it loose when he rolled and I ran thru about 20 feet behind him at the finish line.I knew he had ben rolling with his foot on the brake,but I didnt want to make an issue of it,so I ran my car all the way to the end of the strip and opened the hatch and turned the bottle on,while he had already made the first U-turn and was on his way back to the starting line.I went back to the line and told him he rolled on the start and that I would do it again for another $20.He took the bait and we lined back up.I drove around him in the last 50 feet of the race like his engine stalled out.He claimed I rode by so hard that his car seemed to rock over from the wind.I rode all the way to the end again and turned off the bottle and came back to the line.He told me I shot it and he wanted to see the bottle.I opened the hatch and he handed over the 20 bucks.I eventually leveled with him and we both laughed about it.